New GTA 4 screens

I like urban clutter in these pics
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/827/827005/img_4572565.html
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/827/827005/img_4572562.html

The game looks fine…

However, some of the texturing looks like mid-90s works. Example: The belt around the character pants looks painted on, the skin texture looks stretched and the interior parts of the building looks like sh** too.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...511/grand-theft-auto-iv-20070524093325167.jpg
Yeah textures are awful, no self shadow and the weird LOD.

Not that your opinion is invalid but people really need to remember how far this franchise has come. It looked like dog on ps2/xbox! It was never a leader in graphics and I don't expect that to change. Having said that the devs have done a great job IMO considering the scale and expected level of interaction.

I know, though obviously that also was because the ps2 probably couldnt do that much better anyway given the size of the game. Its just that some textures look like little effort was put in them, like you could have a better one that took the same amount of performance. Its a bit like the game has some ''beauty errors'' wich dont have to be there.

as far as gameplay is good i am not wishing anymore. rockstar never disappointed me. currently enjoying LCS, even LCS is great game for me :smile:

Although I agree with the Rockstar fans about the quality of the GTA series, I do sometimes wonder what would happen if they got a better art team in there. I do love the sense of humor usually displayed by said art team, though. As long as that continues, and the interactivity synonymous with GTA, then great -- but wouldn't it be something if they got a real art team in there? ^^;

Edit: the only downside with them getting top-flight art would be this: Other companies, even more awed by GTA's successes, would waste even more money on art, and fail to deliver even more on gameplay... On reconsideration, until someone tops GTA in terms of gameplay, I reserve my criticism! (the close-up screenies do look a little crap tho ;))

To me everything looks just great, I'll settle for that kind of quality easily. For me, most of the fun in GTA is just driving around doing stupid stuff, so the environments are what count most.

But what does matter to me is the framerate, and what they actually have finished come October. IGN article mentions the code they saw was "extremely early", and the framerate was bad at times, which to me sounds kind of worrying at this point. It's supposed to launch about 5 months time which for a game of this scale doesn't seem much. And everyone knows the frame rate issues in last-gen GTAs.. Lord knows it will come out in October no matter what, as Take-Two needs a new pair of shoes :)

Either someone at Rockstar is an absolute tool when it comes to photoshop, or that's some of the worst DoF i've ever seen.

I don't mind the 'crap' texturing or meshing as some people seem to think, to me, simplicity is GTA and the only thing they could do to get me to start disliking it would be to go 2D (DOS-style 2d, not GTA2-style 2D). So visually it looks just fine (fantastic, if anything given the massive leap from GTA3/VC/SA to this), just need to ease up on the DoF (remove it entirely, preferably) or go easy on the images in Photoshop.

Really looking forward to this :smile:

I think this game needs to be in motion, the trailer made a bigger impression on me than these screenshots. But no matter how this game looks i will play it, thats how it works isn´t it :)

As long as the framaerate is locked at 30fps and there is a very low amount of pop-up i dont give a crap what the game looks like.

So does that mean GTA4: Pervasivence would come to PS3 later, where all downlaodable content is on the Blu-ray disc with the main GTA4 game.
A bit like MGS3: Subsistence, an "Ultimate Edition" of the game re-released with additional content at full price.

So does that mean GTA4: Pervasivence would come to PS3 later, where all downlaodable content is on the Blu-ray disc with the main GTA4 game.
A bit like MGS3: Subsistence, an "Ultimate Edition" of the game re-released with additional content at full price.

Hmm, if Sony had rights to the content why would rockstar not release it on PSN first? Otherise, all existing GTA owners on PS3 are out in the cold, and would have to spend an extra $60 for a couple episodes.

And if their gonna put together a boxed version with the extra content, it would probably be released on both platforms to maximise profits, maybe using a second disc for the 360.

It all depends on what exclusivity rights MS has signed for the content, though it's probably a fairly safe bet that PS3 will see the content, in one form or another, 6 or 12 months down the road.

Speculations are worthless when you don't know the deal between microsoft and Rockstar.

Probably but the worth of such conjecture holds no bearing whatsoever on its accuracy.. And there's still the possibility of that accuracy being strong given prior knowledge of the two companies and how they've operated in the past..

I'n not saying anything is "probable" or not.. I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with making inference on a particular subject using prior knowledge of it, in order to encourage discussion..

Completely dismissing people's speculations at every turn based only on a premise of a lack of hard facts (which their will ALWAYS be a lack of, even in the most "likely" of statements) is a little unnecessary, especially on that rare occasion when some truth pops up in there.. If we all did this then you'd all be living in the UK, too scared to venture across the atlantic through fear of dropping off the edge of the world..

I'll put it this way. When Namco announced Ace Combat 6 for 360, they were asked why exclusive to this platform. They said it is because of platform's timing (ie. 360 launched earlier) and bigger userbase. So we can savely assume it will sooner or later come to PS3. However, in GTA4 case tha game is being developed simultanously for both platforms, but downloadable content is exclusive only to one platform, you can be sure that there is some sort of agreement between developer and platform producer. We don't know details of it. So now that publisher lists downloadable content exclusive for 360, it doesn't automatically mean there will be retail version of it for PS3 (or it will be included in game's reedition for ps3). Hence I wrote it's baseless assumption.

it doesn't automatically mean there will be retail version of it for PS3 (or it will be included in game's reedition for ps3). Hence I wrote it's baseless assumption.

True..

But it doesn't automatically mean that it could never happen either..

Hence why I wrote it was reasonable speculation...

Anyways its not worth arguing over semantics.. Lets all rejoice! GTa4 is on its way!

:D

Bah.

Sorry to see they didn't change the one thing that annoyed me the most about GTA3, and that's seeing doors I couldn't open and windows I couldn't break.

It's 2007 already. The time for little flashy arrows denoting "now THIS door you can open, and only THIS door" should be long gone.

Back