New discoverty!

weaksauce

Regular
I figured out a way how to kill flies.

The fly is fast and will notice if something moves toward it loke your hand trying to smash it. But it will not notice if the surface it stands on moves. So for example, if you have a fly on your knee or on one of your hands, don't try and smash it with your free hand, instead move the knee or hand or whatever into your hand. Preferrably you move both towards eachother and then it goes really fast and it wont notice and it will die kthxbye

bronzemedalwwwtxt2piccoht0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting in a legendary thread! :cool:

I once long long ago smashed a biiig fat black fly clear across the hobby room where I had my now ancient Amiga set up using the top half of the casing of said Amiga.

It came buzzing towards me - WHAMMMO! Straight on the noggin!

It flew straight back the way it came and fell to the floor, on its back. Apparantly I'd damaged it internally because a tiny pale yellow drop of something (probably unmentionable) had pushed forth out of its rear end.

Despite this it regained mobility and tried to leg it. Not so. I promptly squished it.

In my youth I worked summers in a pharmacy where some sensitive goods had to be stored in a refridgerated space. Apparantly no place is safe from flies - not even pharmacy cool rooms. So I found myself in that enclosed space with many empty boxes of wares I'd just unpacked - and what appeared to be one common housefly buzzing around.

I thwacked it with a small empty cardboard box and it crashed to the floor. On its back.

Again, it seems I'd busted something inside it, because apparantly it did not understand it was lying upside down. Or that one of its wings was poking straight out to one side while the other was folded down along its body.

Hilarity promptly ensued when the fly decided it was best to take to the air again - which only had the result it started spinning round and round and round on the spot - extremely qucikly!

"BzzzzzZZZZZ!" went the fly - figuratively speaking - probably rotating at 1000+ RPMs, so fast it only became a fuzzy blur. Then after spinning for several seconds it must have realized something was wrong and turned off its wings and stopped rotating.

I myself was laughing almost hysterically at the sight, so feeling embarrassed it decided its ego could take no further bruising and tried to fly away again. Only to start spinning again!

Of course, all the fun ended with the fly getting squished..

Maybe I sohuldn't mentino that time during my childhood years whenthe basement store room became a fly hatchery and a hundred big fat flies buzzed out of there. I won't mention either the disgusting meaty "tink!" noises they made from their chitin carapaces impacting while bouncing down the aluminum tube of the vacuum cleaner when I sucked them up either..yeeech.

Peace.

Rainbow i salute you, anyone that dedicated to the eradication of flies is ok in my book
the sooner they are wiped out the better...

Reminds me of a holiday I went on when I was a kid. We were stopping in a small whitewashed cottage and in the evenings, hundreds of flies settled on one of the outside walls.

Me and my Dad spent an enjoyable 15 minutes or so every night splatting the hell out of these flies with rolled-up newspapers.

Yeah, I know. Karma's going to bite me on the arse one day for that. :smile:

When splatting flies, bear in mind that they take-off backwards, not forwards.

No thanks, my trusty spray bottle of 25% strength ammonia > mechanically squashing things.
OMG :p

25%? How do you avoid suffocating yourself from violent coughing attacks?

Also... Doesn't ammonia bleach out the colors of stuff? I'd be very afraid to use that stuff indoors if that's the case.
Peace.

Apparently there's a way to make mosquitos explode by having blood rush to wherever they're biting you. Is there any truth to this?

Quoted from google:

"Comment: Will a mosquito explode if you tense up the muscle where it is
biting you? Rumor says a mosquito can not voluntarily stop sucking and
when the muscle is tensed, the mosquito's nose gets stuck and it keeps
sucking until it explodes. Another version is you lightly put your finger
on the mosquito's back, resulting in the same explosion. "

He called it a "nose" haha.

Working as a lifeguard for many years through HS I learned the foolproof way to killing flies. Just clap your hands together a couple inches above the fly. A fly will always go straight up when it takes off, so it launches itself right into your hands. Keep your hands cupped slightly, and the pressure change will still kill them, but you won't splatter guts on your hands. Also effective for killing bees, since not touching them means no stings. Just don't miss, as this tends to piss them off. :)

Another effective fly killer is snapping them with a towel. It only stuns them, so it helps to have a dog that loves to eat bugs follow you around the house. :)

Reminds me of a holiday I went on when I was a kid. We were stopping in a small whitewashed cottage and in the evenings, hundreds of flies settled on one of the outside walls.

Me and my Dad spent an enjoyable 15 minutes or so every night splatting the hell out of these flies with rolled-up newspapers.
one of the joys of when i go home is watching my dad run around the house with a vaccum cleaner suckingup flies, always good for a laugh

I can actually catch them while taking off without squashing them, so I just throw them against the wall to stun them :) and throw them out the window.

OMG :p

25%? How do you avoid suffocating yourself from violent coughing attacks?

err. I give the fly a couple of squirts; I don't pour a bottle full on it. Ammonia rises and quickly mixes with air, unless your sniffing the fumes directly it will just smell faintly of ammonia the same way it does when you use ammonium bicarbonate for baking.

Also... Doesn't ammonia bleach out the colors of stuff? I'd be very afraid to use that stuff indoors if that's the case.
Peace.

My walls are white painted plaster on concrete. It doesn't bleech, but it's pretty good with cleaning some stains, especially waxy or fatty substances. It might 'clean' some organic pigments from cloth, (but not any of the pigments used in my carpet, apparently).

It's quite often used for cleaning ovens, windows and linoleum, that sort of thing.

Another interesting property of concentrated ammonia is that if you hold your hand above an open bottle of the stuff the tinniest of scratch, splinter or papercut will hurt like someone jabbed a needle into your finger.

Working as a lifeguard for many years through HS I learned the foolproof way to killing flies. Just clap your hands together a couple inches above the fly. A fly will always go straight up when it takes off, so it launches itself right into your hands. Keep your hands cupped slightly, and the pressure change will still kill them, but you won't splatter guts on your hands. Also effective for killing bees, since not touching them means no stings. Just don't miss, as this tends to piss them off. :)

Another effective fly killer is snapping them with a towel. It only stuns them, so it helps to have a dog that loves to eat bugs follow you around the house. :)

When I was growing up we used to have a golden retriever that loved eating bumblebees from the grass. It was a nice dog, but you can't really accuse it of being particularily smart.

Ewww i wouldnt want one of your cakes you use sodium bicarbonate for baking

It's not uncommon or some kind of crazy invention on my part; you get ammonia, water and carbon dioxide when it decomposes; so it's more effective per weight than sodium bicarbonate. There's no sodium in it, which is very good, unfortunately there's some small amount of acrylamide which is a suspected carcinogen formed during baking that might negate those benefits.

You may know it under some other name; here in Sweden you'll find it next to the sodium bicarbonate in the spice section namned 'deer horn salt'. Why is that you ask? Well, some arab distilled deer horn a millenia or so ago and found this strange salty substance that later turned out to be ammonium bicarbonate.

The ammonium ion isn't very toxic; it's quite effeciently metabolized to urea(aka carbamide) like nitrogen from protein. In the nordic countries, Germany and the Netherlands we have this thing called 'salty liquorice', which is (typically quite hard) liquorice either coated or containing ammonium chloride(wikipedia has a page on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmiakki). Ammonium chloride tastes like cooking salt with a faint smell of ammonia and a little less bitter and with no umami flavour(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami). It comes in various degrees of saltyness from barely noticable to covered with a white powder.

The finns have a delicacy even more localized; mild salty liquorice tablets with smoke flavour called 'tar-tablets'.

Back