New cheeseball ATi slides bashing 512MB 7800 GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
geo said:
But maybe they really don't care, Trini. Maybe they already made their calculations long ago and figured it was well worthwhile to create even more suspicion and distrust in the community for whatever gain they see the program bringing. Either way, lay the bill at their door.

Maybe I'm being a bit cynical here but I don't think the question is whether they care or not. Maybe the question is whether it's any of our business? I know everyone doesn't share this sentiment but bear in mind that these companies do not "owe" us anything as long as the product we purchase works as advertised.

trinibwoy said:
I think AEG would be the better source for that ;)

You think Nvidia is completely out of the loop? They are the ones supplying the hardware, I'd be surprised if they didn't have some idea where it was all going.

AlphaWolf said:
You think Nvidia is completely out of the loop? They are the ones supplying the hardware, I'd be surprised if they didn't have some idea where it was all going.

I guess they would have some info but who knows how hands-off they are with AEG. I enjoy a good conspiracy theory as much as the other guy but this one would have a lot more oomph if there wasn't already an abundance of volunteer shills all over the boards already. If people were to look at where the real influence is, they wouldn't be looking at message boards. If Nvidia could get to people in the media, that would be money well spent and make for a much more entertaining conspiracy IMO ;)

trinibwoy said:
Maybe I'm being a bit cynical here but I don't think the question is whether they care or not. Maybe the question is whether it's any of our business? I know everyone doesn't share this sentiment but bear in mind that these companies do not "owe" us anything as long as the product we purchase works as advertised.

So then your position is that community outreach is not the reasonable business and concern of the community.

Hokay, you're entitled.

geo said:
So then your position is that community outreach is not the reasonable business and concern of the community.

Not at all. You have every right to be concerned about what shenanigans Nvidia may be up to in the community. I just haven't seen anyone clearly outline where the "danger" factor comes from.

trinibwoy said:
Not at all. You have every right to be concerned about what shenanigans Nvidia may be up to in the community. I just haven't seen anyone clearly outline where the "danger" factor comes from.

Disguising advertising as personal opinion.

trinibwoy said:

Well, I was responding to your assertion that it might not be any of our business in your previous. They and NV describe it as community outreach. I didn't force those words on them. They and NV talk about how effective they are at it, how thoroughly they monitor, and quickly they respond. I didn't put any of those words in their mouths --those are their descriptions; they own them and are responsible for them.

Here we are; come outreach, oh wizards. They don't like me, or this forum, or Hanners and his forum? No problem. There are plenty of other forums where they can do it. But the fact is if they are in charge of community outreach they owe it to the community to come on out and reach.

trinibwoy said:
And these (often extremely biased) personal opinions are less dangerous why?

Because the posters weren't observed and then hand-picked as "influential" members of a site's community? Kind of a no-brainer if you ask me.

John Reynolds said:
Because the posters weren't observed and then hand-picked as "influential" members of a site's community? Kind of a no-brainer if you ask me.

Not exactly. Because the "influential" members of any given site's community are not automatically fair and impartial as well.

geo said:
Well, I was responding to your assertion that it might not be any of our business in your previous. They and NV describe it as community outreach. I didn't force those words on them. They and NV talk about how effective they are at it, how thoroughly they monitor, and quickly they respond. I didn't put any of those words in their mouths --those are their descriptions; they own them and are responsible for them.

Well maybe the "reaching" they're referring to is similar to how they approached Pete. They've come out and said what they're doing. The only thing left for them to do is finger the shills they've got on the boards. And we all know that's never going to happen. What we need is a deep throat ;)

trinibwoy said:
Not exactly. Because the "influential" members of any given site's community are not automatically fair and impartial as well.

That doesn't mean being compensated to be otherwise than fair and impartial isn't worse. At least a person with their own bias presumably came by it honestly through past experience, not because someone mailed them some hardware for it.

AlphaWolf said:
That doesn't mean being compensated to be otherwise than fair and impartial isn't worse. At least a person with their own bias presumably came by it honestly through past experience, not because someone mailed them some hardware for it.

Worse? If this were a moral debate maybe. But it's not - is it?

I guess my point is that AEG's actions should not alter the environment in any significant way. We already had entire forums and websites being accused of bias in the past. Nearly everyone has an opinion whenever the topic is Nvidia vs ATi. Some people are concerned that Nvidia can tip the balance by selecting a few choice individuals to rally their cause. I just don't see it happening given the size of the community and the other (more effective) sources of influence out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
trinibwoy said:
Worse? If this were a moral debate maybe. But it's not - is it?

Take that in the context of my entire post, I am not talking about morality. Would you rather get an honest opinion or one that was paid for?

AlphaWolf said:
Take that in the context of my entire post, I am not talking about morality. Would you rather get an honest opinion or one that was paid for?

Honest, of course. And I see your point. I'm just doubting the impact of those paid opinions. Are we talking about "What should I buy" threads or something more far reaching?

trinibwoy said:
Honest, of course. And I see your point. I'm just doubting the impact of those paid opinions. Are we talking about "What should I buy" threads or something more far reaching?

I'd assume they'd want more than a couple posts out of people for a $400+ investment. I can think of plenty of ways they could present their 'opinion', but I am in a way scared to post them here for fear of giving them ideas.

I expect most of the stuff they are doing is of the subtle variety because having someone with a clearly bent opinion is probably less valuable than the seemingly reasonable persons.

AlphaWolf said:
I expect most of the stuff they are doing is of the subtle variety because having someone with a clearly bent opinion is probably less valuable than the seemingly reasonable persons.

But the seemingly reasonable ones are the ones that have no opinion at all :LOL: It would be nice to have just one name so we can have a reference point for all this. Maybe if I was more connected (or connected at all :D) I'd have a different opinion. Right now I just don't know what all the fuss is about. I guess things are happening in the upper echelons of the 3D community that only the initiated are privy to.

Hey, thanks. Maybe I'll finally get to talk to AEG that way! :LOL: This would be a perfect example of stuff they could come point at and people would go "Oh, really? You guys run those? That's cool, thanks!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back