New cheeseball ATi slides bashing 512MB 7800 GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id rather not having big companies do such slides. (AMD comes to mind as well within the last days) Those slides sounds more like some forum ****** "nonsense", than a big firm.

That said, the below line was kind of funny when looking at history:
"Dynamic branching is the key SM3.0 feature"

Hopefully I'll never have to do PR!

But uhh, dynamic branching is one of the key features of SM3.0. Ones it used it'll be great..... for the X1800s.

Anyway, I find these rather funny and nothing more. I get a could kick out of them when a company releases them. They're something you shouldnt take seriously and just fun to laugh at.

Mize said:
And how the hell do people log 30 hrs/week of 3D anyway? No jobs/kids/spouses? I have an x1800xt and a dell 2405 and still haven't found time to play HL2 or FarCry (though I finally got them both installed).
Do as Digi does, quit sleeping and just game thru the night.

Sleep causes cancer anyways, everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

Just as pathetic as when Nvidia pulls this stuff.

Its really to bad what ATi is turning into.

I remember conversations with employees of ATi who were quite disgusted with the stuff Nvidia regularly pulls and they flat out said things like "We dont believe in doing stuff like that" or "If ATi starts pulling stuff like this i wouldnt work here anymore".

Those are not exact Quotes, but they might as well be. More was said at various times then that.

And here we are today. "Status Quo" products you have to make excuses for (for 2 straight generations now) and slanderous PR tricks to prop up your weaker product.

Bet the same people would now defend this behavior with a passion.

This takes the cake

NVDesperateStand-12.jpg

SynapticSignal?

:LOL:

Ati trash PR is a comedy riot. Seriously, that's too rich.

And it's interesting, to say the least, to see the reaction of some of the ex-outraged by the extreme methods used by Nvidia marketing folks having a more cynical vision of what's marketing and what's not.

Customers with misplaced love for companies which do nothing but sell them overpriced products never fail to impress me! That's what I call entertaiment, that's internet.

Comedy gold, all around. Good show.

Well, if the smart people can filter out the BS from the truth.. there is obviously something that is true in the middle...

I do think the quotes - although taken out of context at times, actually is more of the truth than some might admit... the only ones I agree with is the suggest reviewer settings that ATI has pointed out.. and the AF.. everything else is rather skewed.

Quoting SynapticSignal.. um.. not a good thing. I'm not sure if his first language is English.. but it's not a great idea to quote someone who has an ATI bias. If they were to quote NVNews forums and even NVidia's own forums.. ATI would present its case better. There's lots of fun loving reports of the 80.xx series drivers and the fun that comes with it.

I'd so much rather see this stuff in public, like this, than have to infer it from our more knowledgeable members comments. Neither of them are going to stop doing it, so better it be out in the open. Sometimes there will be good points, and sometimes not, but better in the light of day than whispering campaigns.

I agree with Geo, better to have this stuff out in public, not for his reasons though but to give me a good laugh.

When trying to show that the 512 GTX is a knee jerk stop gap product with limited life it is inadvisable to quote that nvidia has done it again and then list FX 5800, 5200U and GF3 ti500 as examples. I bought my Fx 5800 and GF3 ti500 many months past the intiial release date, in fact years. I bought my new GF3 ti500 in early 2005 for instance !

Also, another way of reading the MTBF graph shows that you have a 2% chance of failure in 4 years if you play 100 hours per week or 14 hours per day. And thats at 125C, the cards would reach 70-80 maybe, I'd like to know what the values are then .. maybe 2% in 100 years at 14 hours per day. Who knows ? 125C is a ridculous temp to give values at though IN THE REAL WORLD. Somebody has just taken lab figures out of context.

Actually out of context sums that up nicely so the PR/marketing guys are doing a good job.

I'm going to give this one 8 out of 10.

dizietsma said:
I agree with Geo, better to have this stuff out in public, not for his reasons though but to give me a good laugh.

When trying to show that the 512 GTX is a knee jerk stop gap product with limited life it is inadvisable to quote that nvidia has done it again and then list FX 5800, 5200U and GF3 ti500 as examples. I bought my Fx 5800 and GF3 ti500 many months past the intiial release date, in fact years. I bought my new GF3 ti500 in early 2005 for instance !

Also, another way of reading the MTBF graph shows that you have a 2% chance of failure in 4 years if you play 100 hours per week or 14 hours per day. And thats at 125C, the cards would reach 70-80 maybe, I'd like to know what the values are then .. maybe 2% in 100 years at 14 hours per day. Who knows ? 125C is a ridculous temp to give values at though IN THE REAL WORLD. Somebody has just taken lab figures out of context.

Actually out of context sums that up nicely so the PR/marketing guys are doing a good job.

I'm going to give this one 8 out of 10.
I think they mean 5800 ultra ;)

I don't believe anyone at ATI ever even saw these slides, let alone made them. ATI bitching about availability (ROTFL)in any case is a no-no and they know it. Also, nV announced that the quantities will be limited, so I don't think anyone will be bitching about that. Rather the sky-high prices.

Maybe it was SynapticSignal himself who did the presentation? :oops:

_xxx_ said:
Also, nV announced that the quantities will be limited...
Where? I found only announcement of "immediate availability". Not "limited availability":
NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA), the worldwide leader in programmable graphics processor technologies, today delivered the answer with the immediate availability of the new NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 512 graphics processing unit (GPU).
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 512 GPU-based graphics cards are available immediately at major online retailers and from leading add-in card partners such as Asus, BFG, EVGA, Gainward, MSI, Point of View, and XFX.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_27509.html

no-X said:
Where? I found only announcement of "immediate availability". Not "limited availability":

Search the forums, it was mentioned a few times in interviews with nV etc. Google will also spit some links out :)

Mize said:
Heh...only scanned them quickly and the 125 C thing is totally ambiguous, but it is 1170 hours for 1/1000 failure rate. Now admitedly that might be a serious failure rate.

And how the hell do people log 30 hrs/week of 3D anyway? No jobs/kids/spouses? I have an x1800xt and a dell 2405 and still haven't found time to play HL2 or FarCry (though I finally got them both installed).

No crap, I dont even have kids and I may top out at 6-8 hours a week lmao.

Maybe they are thinking college kids? But what college kid has 700 bucks to drop on a video card? 700 bucks buys a lot of alcohol, condoms, and weed. That is more fun than playing most video games anyways :D

Maintank said:
Maybe they are thinking college kids? But what college kid has 700 bucks to drop on a video card? 700 bucks buys a lot of alcohol, condoms, and weed. That is more fun than playing most video games anyways

Between classes, work, homework and partying, I don't think so.

why do these presentations read like comercial canidate smear campaigns in the US. Really seem stupid to me.

Nvidia would have you believe you are buying a good product a fast product....FACT IS 1 million people die a day due to Nvidia card emissions. And a further wopping 3 people a day lose fingers in the heat sink fans! Thats not good business, thats not even good!

or of course the flipside.

ATI makes cards, cards that throw old women down flights of stairs...and then it kicks them! Is that what you want in your PC let alone your household? Buy Nvidia!

PR presentations like that from any IHV (whether original or not) aren't worth anyone's time.

I'd like to make a quick comment though on AF related optimisations: they need to vanish IMHO from driver defaults from either/or side. Part of the responsibility is in websites/reviewers hands and the way they measure performance.

I don't consider myself belonging to the fore mentioned group, but with one upcoming exeption I will either minimize or eliminate filtering optimisations from now on in my few humble attempts; in the hope that some others at least might follow in the longrun (damn optimistic if you ask me heh...).

Driver defaults on R520 class products is still with the older more angle-dependent AF algorithm + optimisations. The above shot in the slide has been taken with the new HQ (less angle-dependent or angle-"independent") algorithm; he who finds the oxymoron here deserves a cookie ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back