7800 GTX board purchase

Aren't they all pretty much the same anyway? They sure all look the same, and almost all of them use the reference cooler also.

Perhaps some manufactuerer uses slightly faster memory or such, but hey... What's the big deal about that anyway?

Warranty/bundle and stock clocks are all that separates the different versions just like all the graphics cards before it. Only thing missing is custom cooling which will come soon no doubt.

Jimmers said:
Ta Dah! This seems a lot faster than the time it took everyone to come out with a 6800 waterblock.

That waterblock is horribly restrictive on flow. The 90 degree turns and small tubing size are horrible. Also, there's no real benefit in watercooling the memory chips on video cards. One will have better performance in using a simple gpu-core-only waterblock like the Maze4 and putting sinks on the ramchips.

I'm using an EVGA 7800, and it's otay. The only significant difference I can see between different cards is what the manufacturer is clocking theirs at.

Nah, I cheapened up and decided to save the $500. Didn't help that the wife laid a guilt trip on me by mentioning that the contract vehicle under which my current company employees me expires at the end of November and that while there's a almost 100% chance I'll continue employment with the new contract there is no guarantee my current salary will remain the same.

It had nothing to do with waiting on ATI, though if I do decide to spend my own money this fall for Oblivion it will be nice to have more options (assuming of course ATI's next gen. launch actually occurs sometime this year).

John Reynolds said:
Nah, I cheapened up and decided to save the $500.
Sure that's why you did it John, sure.... ;)

(BTW-I really am joking, John posted up about ordering and cancelling over at EB and I read that thread before this one and just decided to tease him a bit...I am NOT really being a fanboy.)

It wouldn't have been a bad choice given that eVGA just moved to a "lifetime" warranty, but no harm in holding off. There are always better deals.

That's true Pete. I have seen some of the 7800's on special @ Newegg around the $475 range.

Ya know Digi, it would be out of character for you if you didn't say anything regarding his purchase decision either way ;)

I can only hope ATI releases something soon as Nvidia seems to have a leg up on them in all realms graphical right now (though it may be short-lived). My loyalties lie where the performance is, so my X800 is going to have to play second string from now on. :)

MasterBaiter said:
I can only hope ATI releases something soon as Nvidia seems to have a leg up on them in all realms graphical right now (though it may be short-lived). My loyalties lie where the performance is, so my X800 is going to have to play second string from now on. :)

I have to disagree, the delays of the R520 and crossfire are just making ATI look bad but the only real advantage nvidia has is the 7800 GTX. ATI is as fast or faster and for less in every area other then the top end: X800 GT over 6600 GT, X800 over 6800, X800 XL over 6800 GT and X850 XT over 6800 Ultra.

I think what hurts ATI most right now isn't speed. ATI cards are on par with nvidia clock for clock and dollar for dollar.

It's the lack of sm3.0 that is off putting.

The biggest thing I think is hurting ATi right now is all their talk about their new technologies (crossfire/r520) but there ain't nothing to show for it but unexplained delays.

NOT a good sign, and that doesn't instill me with confidence.

Not a biggy for me personally right now as I'm still content-as-hell with my X800 TT, so it's a lot easier for me to wait to see what is coming since I don't really plan on getting it anytime soon. :)

digitalwanderer said:
The biggest thing I think is hurting ATi right now is all their talk about their new technologies (crossfire/r520) but there ain't nothing to show for it but unexplained delays.

And no real hard rumours or leaks on R520 either (apart from those from Dave of course :)). If they knew they had a gem and if they knew that it could beat the pants off a putative 7800Ultra, you'd expect at least something concrete on the leak/rumour front. So far all we've had is "it'll have somewhere between 16 and 32 pipes, they may or may not be Extreme, and it may or may not matter how many there are and how extreme they are". Currently it's smelling of launch in September, mass availability in November, performance roughly the same as 7800GTX... which is a pretty solid Second Place.

Rightly or wrongly it gives the impression that something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Back