New cheats exposed at DigitLife

breez said:
Is there a way to get reference rasterizer to render with FP24?

Not that I am aware of.

I believe that it also ignores the _pp flag (since lowering the precision is optional behaviour), so you can't get lower precision results out of it either.

andypski said:
breez said:
Is there a way to get reference rasterizer to render with FP24?

Not that I am aware of.

I believe that it also ignores the _pp flag (since lowering the precision is optional behaviour), so you can't get lower precision results out of it either.

Even that wouldn't help - FP24 against FP16 wouldn't look any better.

Hanners said:
Even that wouldn't help - FP24 against FP16 wouldn't look any better.

No, but it could obviously help for FP16 comparisons to see the differences between full and partial-precision rendering.

Well I know very little on shader programming but even the pictures that digit life used of the PS2.0 benchmark don't seem completely useless.

The differences ati show from the ref are mostly small. The difference picture on the whole is pretty much random noise, theres lots of it but nothing obvious (except the shadow right under the base, not sure whats going on there).

Then you can look at the FX 44.65 picture. The differences actually follow patterns, you can see a grain pattern in the base and something seems to be up with the way the models shine a bit.

This suggests more to a shader replacement or modification to me

or am i talking bs? :D

Re: Unbelievable IMHO

Kristof said:
chavvdarrr said:
A better approach is the good old trusty RMS errors, whats the average error of the whole image ? ....
So better approach would be to do some statistics on the true error delta between ref and GF Card X/Y/Z/W, not use some weird equalize/stretch/gamma operation to try and show how every pixels is ever so slightly different.......
But as said before even this approach can be quite tricky because of all the potential differences in accuracy used throughout the pipeline.
Just my 2c...
K-
Actually in ixbt's forum there were numbers from RMS - NV35&44.67 had best results, NV35&44.03&Antidetect on par with R300, but numbers were VERY close... afaik they decided that using pure mathematics is no good enough. At least with their images one can see from where is the difference.

chavvdarrr said:
Actually in ixbt's forum there were numbers from RMS - NV35&44.67 had best results, NV35&44.03&Antidetect on par with R300, but numbers were VERY close... afaik they decided that using pure mathematics is no good enough. At least with their images one can see from where is the difference.

But you can't necessarily for the reasons I gave in my post above. If the contrast adjustment is not consistent differences all over an image could be completely hidden by just a few larger discrepancies, and completely skew the results.

andypski said:
But you can't necessarily for the reasons I gave in my post above. If the contrast adjustment is not consistent differences all over an image could be completely hidden by just a few larger discrepancies, and completely skew the results.
agree, IMHO their article is far from perfection - but it's not a crap either.

Pete said:
Bolloxoid, IMO the first sentence of your post negates your criticism about DL's "crude" language.

Heh, ok, I didn't express my impressions in the most intellectually refined way, but informal forum discussion is really not subject to the same standards as a serious article like that in question. A more matter-of-fact style would serve the purpose better there.

Differences between refras and real hw are not just limited to FP24. The ordering of operations in the vertex shader, and the implementation of that HW can lead to slight vertex data lsb changes. As well, clipping can performed differently on different architectures, which can, again, lead to differences in lsbs of data.

Then, setup and rasterization can lead to more differences. Typically, a hw unit will sort vertices for each vertex, so that a permutation of vertices will not change what is rendered. However, there's no set way to do that sort; each method is different. As well, what precision is maintained for iteration and for Z computations is going to be different. At this point, you could do Z in FP or integer, but how many bits? Each hardware version will give slightly different results. You could even imagine a 1/2 pixel shift, between HW versions. Shading and precision in shading will lead to more differences. As well, reduction to the final frame buffer (from shader precision downto 8b/comp) can be done in several ways; another 1/2 lsb of change is trivial there.

In general, we shoot for "self-consistency" -- We assume that data coming in does not have gaps or T-vertices, and we guarantee not to introduce any. But small differences will be abudant -- And have always been there.

At the end, even WHQL certification is aware of that process, and uses a fuzzy compare to a reference image, on very SIMPLE geometry. With a complexe scene, the differences will increase even more.

At the end, the following seems true to me:

1) Doing pixel compares to the refras is a waste of time.
2) Doing pixel compares between two different HW implementations, is a waste of time.
3) Comparing images between two drivers on the same HW can give you a little information, but it's very fluffy. Generally a new driver means *something has* changed.
4) Comparing the same hw, the same drivers, but with changes in the apps or with app detect, can have value, if done properly.

sireric said:
Typically, a hw unit will sort vertices for each vertex, so that a permutation of vertices will not change what is rendered.

I wouldn't say it's typical.
On nVidia cards the permutation of vertices does change what is rendered (at least the Z values).

Hyp-X said:
sireric said:
Typically, a hw unit will sort vertices for each vertex, so that a permutation of vertices will not change what is rendered.

I wouldn't say it's typical.
On nVidia cards the permutation of vertices does change what is rendered (at least the Z values).

It should be independant of circular permutations -- I believe there's a whql test for that. Full permutation cannot be covered, since swapping two vertices will cause the facing to change, which would lead to a different triangle with different properties.

Hyp-X said:
sireric said:
Don't tell Derek Smart.

Back