My email interview about Xenos with Michael Doggett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill said:
Would you rather have Xenos with 64 ALU versus RSX with 16 pipes and EDRAM?

And just how do you expect to keep these 64 ALUs fed? You can't just arbitrarily increase some functional units without taking the rest of the GPU into consideration...

EDRAM makes a lot of sense when considering that X360 uses UMA architecture...

Bill said:
Awesome.

I still wonder about the EDRAM. More bandwidth is good for what if we're not bandwidth limited at 720P?

But the shader power is interesting. Exactly as I had tabbed it. R520 has 40 ALU's at 625 mhz. Xenos 48 at 500. So I figured they were close.
And I'd ask him again, if EDRAM makes a card more powerful as he states, why is it not in the PC parts?

You are incorrect. The R520 does NOT have 40 ALUs. It has the equivalent of 24 ALUs at 625 mhz. In that email he was saying that if both chips had 8 pipes for Vertex, Xenos would have (2x) the amount of pixel alus than the R520.

Edit: or maybe I'm reading the email wrong :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to publicly apologies to Bill for my use of sarcasm. I hate it when it is used in a rude manner by posters, and yet I apparently couldn’t help but using it myself.

You are not my enemy, so sorry for being rude Bill.

Bill I would like to mention that you have seemingly have a bias against the 360, because it really reads as if you have direct issues with the design due to a brand preference. Not because there are real weaknesses to the design, which I am sure exist.

Would you please clarify your position if this is not the case, by studying the Xenos design in depth. And then try to couch your findings of fault, with greater care, as to not give the appearance of bias, if it isn’t there.

Or if there is bias and we all have it to some degree. Please admit it so that we can move on with the discussion. LB and Shifty have done it and I respect what they add to the community because of it.

I have a leaning to the 360 myself, but haven’t committed financial resources to either console yet. And I think the Xenos and Cell paradigms are design risks that offer lots of potential. I like to see companies step out of the box, so we will see.

Bill is an admitted fan of the XBox (seemingly hardcore) - he simply feels that the graphics potential of the Xenos has been compromised by the use of an esoteric design such as the daughter-die arrangement, rather than dedicating those transistors to a larger 'core' GPU.

Bill this is what I've gotten from you over the last couple of days - feel free to correct me if I'm off. ;)

But Sir Tendeth you're reading him wrong if you think he's a Sony fan. Rather he seems to feel betrayed by Microsoft and ATI on some level.

(I find myself acting as a Bill advocate in this situation since Bill doesn't seem willing to discuss Xenos without lashing out at the eDRAM any chance he gets)

Laa-Yosh said:
But we can always ignore you...

I don't know who you're referring to exactly but my ignore list is very well populated and growing rapidly. ;) :)

great feature

makes reading threads like these, a breeze.

Thanks for sharing that, I haven’t tried to delve into his posting history. This was part of the reason for my apology.

If you would like to clarify further Bill go ahead.

From this thread I wasn't seeing heavily reasoned findings expressed, but I admit my bias would skew any interpretation I make.

I like daring innovation, even if it falls flat on it’s face, and we certainly haven’t given Xenos a full lifecycle to find out.

I agree - I'm all about pushing the envelope. I like something fresh and bold, and Xenos certainly qualifies. Whether or not RSX 'beats' it or not, I'll probably follow it's developments closely. Certainly I hope RSX spices things up a little beyond being a straight G70 'port.'

Alpha_Spartan said:
And I'm a Swedish swimsuit model. We can be anything we want on the Internets! Weeeeeeeeeeee!
gollum_pics.jpg

Alpha_Spartan said:
And I'm a Swedish swimsuit model. We can be anything we want on the Internets! Weeeeeeeeeeee!

Uh - ok. Except that I don't think he was lying when he wrote it Alpha. Go over his past post histroy - I'm sure it will all become clear to you. The first page of that 'eDRAM sucks' thread is where he 'sets things straight' in that regard.

I have no reason to disbelieve him (or anyone else) out of hand.

xbdestroya said:
Uh - ok. Except that I don't think he was lying when he wrote it Alpha. Go over his past post histroy - I'm sure it will all become clear to you. The first page of that 'eDRAM sucks' thread is where he 'sets things straight' in that regard.

I have no reason to disbelieve him (or anyone else) out of hand.

have you considered the factor that either he is a kid? or...

Bill said:
And I'd ask him again, if EDRAM makes a card more powerful as he states, why is it not in the PC parts?

My guess would be the exorbitant price It would be pricey for enough to be practical at the higher resolutions hardcore PC gamers want.

pakpassion said:
have you considered the factor that either he is a kid? or...

No, I haven't considered that, since his thoughts - however rabid at times - are structured coherently. I have considered the possibility that you are a troll though pakpassion, and like others I wonder if you're 'onetimeposter' returned to us. ;)

Certainly there are similarities - and he also was all about correspondence with company representatives.

And then that little reflexsive 'Heavenly Sword' action earlier in the thread after Deano posted...

But hey, like I said - I give people the benefit of the doubt.

xbdestroya said:
Bill is an admitted fan of the XBox (seemingly hardcore) - he simply feels that the graphics potential of the Xenos has been compromised by the use of an esoteric design such as the daughter-die arrangement, rather than dedicating those transistors to a larger 'core' GPU.

Bill this is what I've gotten from you over the last couple of days - feel free to correct me if I'm off. ;)

But Sir Tendeth you're reading him wrong if you think he's a Sony fan. Rather he seems to feel betrayed by Microsoft and ATI on some level.

(I find myself acting as a Bill advocate in this situation since Bill doesn't seem willing to discuss Xenos without lashing out at the eDRAM any chance he gets)

With ******s like Bill, MS doesnt need enemies! :)

xbdestroya said:
No, I haven't considered that, since his thoughts - however rabid at times - are structured coherently. I have considered the possibility that you are a troll though pakpassion, and like others I wonder if you're 'onetimeposter' returned to us. ;)

Certainly there are similarities - and he also was all about correspondence with company representatives.

And then that little reflexsive 'Heavenly Sword' action earlier in the thread after Deano posted...

But hey, like I said - I give people the benefit of the doubt.

why are you getting so irritated with the contents of the email. i wonder why...xboxdestroyer

pakpassion said:
why are you getting so irritated with the contents of the email. i wonder why...xboxdestroyer

That's almost confirmation right there.

If you know me, you know the handle has nothing to do with anything.

BUT - to my knowledge it is only onetimeposter that used to engage in the practice of emailing the VP's and other execs, and posting their replys up here on the forum. Certainly if you were around back then, you could see where I might raise an eyebrow in suspicion, having noticed the similarities.

Let me just ask flat-out, and you can answer along with whatever other reply you address me with: *are* you onetimeposter?

(PS - the email contents don't irritate me, but you can keep putting words in my mouth if you like)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back