New article on Xbox360 GPU

expletive said:
What happens when either of these 2 consoles wants to use more than 256MB for texture data? Whats the impact on bandwidth for each?

J

Can anyone shed some light on this? To be more specific, when the PS3 wants to use main system RAM for graphics (i.e. exceeds the 256MB of local RSX memory) what impact does that have on all the different bandwidth pipes?

It is it difficult for a developer to use main system RAM for graphics? Or is it something that the PS3 hardware will detect and just 'spill over' to that RAM? I'm guyessing if theres latenacy or bandwidth concerns with doing that i'm sure the developer will want to manage it.

Is there any additional impact to the 360 by using more than 256MB of the UM for graphics?

J

expletive said:
Can anyone shed some light on this? To be more specific, when the PS3 wants to use main system RAM for graphics (i.e. exceeds the 256MB of local RSX memory) what impact does that have on all the different bandwidth pipes?

It is it difficult for a developer to use main system RAM for graphics? Or is it something that the PS3 hardware will detect and just 'spill over' to that RAM? I'm guyessing if theres latenacy or bandwidth concerns with doing that i'm sure the developer will want to manage it.

Is there any additional impact to the 360 by using more than 256MB of the UM for graphics?

J

There shoudn't be any additional impact for the 360 since there is only one bank (whatever you want to call it) of RAM. Dunno about the PS3 but I'd imagine some sort of impact (not necessarly anything really noticable) since it would have to put its data in both parts of RAM and the types of RAM in each spot is different.

Back