New AMD low power X86 core, enter the Jaguar

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by liolio, Aug 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Yeah :) I was hoping for a lot more choices, but this is ok at least. I had wanted the 5000 not the 5200 so I could save 10watts.

2. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

3. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

How you use it is limited by your imagination and time you have on your hands I guess. Anyway that is not a bad idea. If it is a standard motherboard in the zotac I might be very tempted to get one as it would probably be the cheapest. I would have to either be able to attach a normal power supply to use the automotive supply I have, or make a new circuit that turns the computer on and off with the car (by temporarily connecting the circuit to the power button when the car is turned on or off).

4. AnarchX

Veteran

5. Thorburn

Regular

6. AnarchX

Veteran

Diffused = fabbed.

The big AMD APUs have also this printing.
    A bit strange is also that this Kabini chip is packaged/made in Taiwan (= TSMC!?), while the big APUs and other CPUs at AMD are packaged in Malaysia.

7. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

There could be a different entity responsible for this product's package assembly besides TSMC in Taiwan. Since other Jaguar chips say they are diffused and made in Taiwan, it might make sense to use existing package assembly right now.

8. Exophase

Veteran

9. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

Diffusion in this case is a phase of the lithography process that is also being used as a general label for the fab's part of the process of creating a wholly functional product.

10. Exophase

Veteran

That's pretty confusing - do you have a reference on this?

11. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

Referencing a discussion in this forum on the same topic would include posts by me.

Diffused in this case is shorthand for the fabbing of the wafer.

IBM discusses some of the requirements for the diffused and made in labels, and it distinguishes between diffusion and the bonding and packaging steps that involve taking a die and affixing it to something that makes it usable.

http://www-03.ibm.com/procurement/proweb.nsf/contentdocsbytitle/United+States~Country+of+origin+marking+instructions?OpenDocument&Parent=Global+Procurement

A Google search brought up this (odd thing about this link, it might try to print something):
    http://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=w968421&ac=pr

This clearly differentiates between the diffusion step and cutting things into separate die and testing/mounting them.

There may be subtleties to customs enforcement or taxation reasons for doing this. Until the chip is fully packaged, it's not really a functional product.

12. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

13. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

14. kalelovil

Regular

http://techreport.com/review/26377/a-first-look-at-amd-mullins-mobile-apu

15. Wynix

Veteran Regular

I think this is worth quoting:
    That is impressive.

There's a lot of useful info in that article.

16. kalelovil

Regular

It probably is impressive, but I'd wait until AMD allow real-world power consumption figures to be produced before coming to any firm conclusions.

Remember that the Kaveri 7600T in 45W mode looked incredibly impressive next to its 45W Richland predecessor, but this was diminished somewhat by the 45W Kaveri consuming a significant amount more power than the 45W Richland.

17. lanek

Veteran

Thanks for the link... The results shown on the Mullin seems good..

18. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

True, but so long as the TDP is respected, that's OK. Chances are that Temash/Kabini SKUs were often operating well below their TDPs, leaving performance on the table. Now Beema/Mullins should be able to operate very close (or temporarily above) their TDPs. To be sure, effective performance/W is unlikely to have increased as much as AMD claims, but so long as the performance is there and the TDP is respected, it's not an issue. AMD also claims that getting things done quicker and going to sleep/idle saves energy (and therefore battery life).

That said, it doesn't change the fact that there does not seem to be a whole lot of interest in x86 tablets. I also wonder why AMD hasn't released a 25W variant of Beema. Perhaps they believe this segment would be better served by the mobile Kaveri, but since the latter has yet to show up…

It's also worth noting that this new SoC is made by GloFo, which means their process must be quite good.

Edit, after reading The Tech Report's article (http://techreport.com/review/26377/a-first-look-at-amd-mullins-mobile-apu/ [benchmarks on pages 3 and 4]): looks pretty good.

#278 Alexko, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  19. sebbbi

Veteran

Intel has reduced their TDP impressively by improving the clock management and monitoring (huge improvements from Nehalem->Sandy->Ivy->Haswell). They can shut down / restore the chip parts in a very fine grained manner (and very quickly). AMD did something similar for R9 290X, and it seems that they now are integrating similar systems to their new APUs. Excellent news indeed.

20. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

@Alexko

AMD will be releasing 25W Beema, but it will be only to select OEM who requested it.
    It makes sense to reuse already developed 25W laptop platform and ask AMD to deliver better performance at the same time.

These special 25W(?) chips will be called A8-xxxx :)
    From TechReport
    There is also that possibility that I'm reading too much into this sentence :p