New Alpha to coverage demo

I added another option to this demo that allows alpha-to-coverage and alpha-blend to have sharp (but antialiased) edges when magnified.

Very nice. This works great most of the time, with a very small performance hit. But I noticed some aliasing for diagonal edges in the alpha textures, that doesn't go away even when you uncomment the two-pixel blur in the shader.

Do you mean diagonal in the texture or diagonally on the screen? I noticed some edges looked a bit aliased when viewed diagonally on the screen, but I just uploaded a new version that disables anisotropic for the lod lookup texture which fixes that problem. I didn't notice any problems on diagonal edges within the texture, only a little with extreme zoom on the square/ring thing texture in the back, like getting close enough for the near clip plane to start cutting into it. 2 pixel wide edge improved it a bit, and four (use 0.25 instead of 0.5) looked pretty good.

I meant diagonal in the texture, e.g the chainlink fence and the circular hole of the grates in the ceiling. Looks to be gone now.

Great. Now tell all the devrel guys to advocate dropping alpha test altogether and using this instead ;)

btw, I noticed DXOverride can force a2c in DirectX, too. So there is a switch in the driver already...?

Humus said:
I added another option to this demo that allows alpha-to-coverage and alpha-blend to have sharp (but antialiased) edges when magnified.
Oh I just saw this on your site now thats nice looking.

Back