New ADSL modem: 4Mbit/s faster DLs...

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
New ADSL modem: 4 (5*)Mbit/s faster DLs...

My connection started dropping out a lot over the course of the summer, the router lost its IP, and I would get kicked out of whichever online game I was playing at the moment, skype calls would get interrupted, downloads and web page updates timed out and so on. Roughly 30-40 secs later everything would work again. There was no real pattern, it would just happen every so often.

So I called up my ISP, and was told I was producing tons of bad packets, literally tens of thousands per day, and that was probably the reason for my connection drops. Since I hadn't changed anything in my setup, the blame was pointed at my ADSL microfilter, my modem<->wall plug phone cable, or the modem itself.

I had an old Ericsson ADSL modem on a shelf in my warderobe. These things must have cost a shitload for my ISP to buy back in late 2000 when I first got broadband, they have built-in power supplies, steel casings and so on. Real classy stuff. Unfortunately it only supports bog-standard ADSL; 8mbit/s downstream, 1mbit/s up tops, on a 10mbit/s half-duplex ethernet link to the host. When doing serious downloading, the packet collision indicator glows like a christmas tree, lol! Anyway, I switched modem, problems ceased. Of course, it could still be cable or filter that are causing this; 24mbit/s ADSL2+ pushes the equipment significantly harder than the earlier standard, but I chose to put the blame on the modem anyway coz' it's an el-cheapo Zyxel unit, and the Zyxel wifi/100base-T router I got as a combo dealie from my ISP years ago was shite. The built-in firewall blocked the server browser of every online shooting game I tried on it, there were no firmware upgrades, and it was just generally a bad router. :mad: It did have a proper on/off switch though at the back. Its one redeeming feature... Still not enough to save it however, I junked it long ago.

So I bought a new modem, a Netgear el-cheapo unit (hey, they're all cheap these days ;)) and plugged it in. Had to do a setup procedure first before it would let through my internet connection, but it was painless, although fairly lengthy. I had time to play a round of Spider Solitaire while the auto-configuration did its thing. :LOL:

So far I've not noticed any issues, and running a quick bandwidth test my download speed went up from about 12.5Mbit/s to 16.5, and that's during the afternoon! I should be able to get even higher speed during off-peak. Upload speed also went up, to over 2Mbit/s, from...I can't remember. Probably around 1.5.

Interesting! You'd think such a dumb piece of equipment as a modem shouldn't affect performance in any major way. These things are all built using off-the-shelf chipsets and other components after all, and should follow the same standards and tolerances and whatnot. But, I was wrong. Whee!

So, just switching modem could be a cheap speed upgrade for more people out there, at least if your modem is a couple years old. Try it, see what happens... :D

*Edit:
Checked later in the evening, connecting straight to the modem and not through router (not sure that makes a diff tho), speed is now 17.65Mbit/s...! Preeeeettty good I should think!

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the wall-socket phone cable because the one I'd been using had a big, heavy ferrite core filter moulded onto it and dated back to the 56k modem days - maybe the ferrite interfered with the signals, I dunno... Anyway, speed went up a bit more, or maybe it was placebo, or the fact I tested later in the day.

Final figures, using the official Swedish tptest.se website, 17.65MBit/s down, 2.06Mbit/s up, through my router. The router doesn't seem to make any difference anyway, not even in ping (5ms with, or without going through it).

Steam peak download speed, 2MB/s, with stable 1.9MB/s... Pretty nice. Fastest stable speed I ever got before was generally below 1.5. I'm quite happy I must say. Only cost me SKR350 anyway; about US$48, including tax.

Only issue is I've not been able to reach the built-in server of the modem unless directly hooking the blasted thing up to my PC. There's some cool diagnostic infos regarding speed, error rates etc available from inside the router that I'd like to peek at occasionally... :) However, it just won't respond when traffic goes through the router. It's not an IP address collision, the modem is at 192.168.0.1, and the router sits at 192.168.1.1. Do I need to change the modem to something in the 192.168.1.xxx range for it to work?

Good to hear you pinpointed your issue!

I'm experiencing a wired one after moving houses.
My broadband will disconnect as soon as I would pick up incoming call to a land line :rolleyes:
Annoying! Especially when in the middle of COD MW2 match!
Have ruled out modem, filter or telephones itself. This leaves me with socket/master socket problem or modem at the other end of my line - exchange that is.
Funny thing is it works fine if I make a call, it only drops connections for incoming calls.

Maybe this weekend I will try to crack this problem but I fear it's exchange issue and to explain it to BT will be hard!!!!

lightman that happens to me do you have a bt router ?

edit:
was set to non of the hub phones (dont have any hub phones) changed it to this
and no disconnect early days as ive only received 1 incoming call since changing it

lightman that happens to me do you have a bt router ?

edit:
was set to non of the hub phones (dont have any hub phones) changed it to this
and no disconnect early days as ive only received 1 incoming call since changing it

Thanks for hint! I will try it!

I'm on black BTHub but it was working correctly at my previous address. Granted I was like 300m from exchange and now I'm 1500m from it. Same number, same exchange, same equipment only different address.

I will investigate tomorrow (weekend yee!).

It's not an IP address collision, the modem is at 192.168.0.1, and the router sits at 192.168.1.1. Do I need to change the modem to something in the 192.168.1.xxx range for it to work?
Subnet mask.
255.255.255.0 leaves a 192.168.1.x device unable to talk to 192.168.0.1.
Set subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 then you should be able to talk to both.

I still haven't managed to work out a simple answer to the problem we get at work where if customer plugs in the Netgear router wrong it sets itself to 10.0.0.1 with the other device at 192.168.1.1 :oops:

Subnet mask.
HMM... Of course it couldn't be THAT simple.

I changed subnet inside the router's LAN setup - which is where it made sense to change it - and I still can't access the ADSL modem on .0.1. Sometimes I hate technology. :???:

Thanks anyway...

On your PC. You'll need to set the LAN IP & DNS servers manually too.

Or in the DHCP server settings on the device you get allocated an IP from.

Bah. Too much faffing around. I'll just move the modem from .0.1 to .1.1 instead, and the router to .1.2, see if that works better...

Grr. Still won't work! I've double-checked, and the IPs are definitely correct, I still can't access the modem through the router and I don't understand why!

I also can't get the router in the modem itself to work properly. I turned off DHCP in the router so that it will work just as a switch, turned it on in the modem, and hooked everything up. It gives my PC an IP, I can do ipconfig in a console window to verify I have one, but I have no route out to the internet. It doesn't really matter though as I wasn't planning on using the modem's router in the first place. I just thought I'd try it to see what happens, and what happens is IT DOESN'T FUCKING WORK! :???:

ok stupid question but you do have the pc connected to the correct port on the router

ps: if your router has a modem why have a seterate modem ?

you do have the pc connected to the correct port on the router
Yeah. I may be an idiot, but I'm not THAT big an idiot. ;)

ps: if your router has a modem why have a seterate modem ?
The router (Netgear WNR3500) doesn't have a modem... Sorry if I gave that impression. Even if it did I wouldn't want to use it, as the router is physically located too far from the phone jack. I did have a router with built-in ADSL2+ modem previously, and used a phone extension cord (hand-crimped by a PC tech buddy of mine), but that speed is too great for that length of extension cord (although worked fine with an older 8mbit/s ADSL link). So the result was I had to move the router/modem close to the phone jack, and instead run ethernet cables all over the place to my various equipment...very bad. Caused a lot of cable unsightlyness. :p So that was when I got the separate Zyxel modem and Zyxel router (which was shite), and later replaced the Zyxel router with the current one.

and instead run ethernet cables all over the place to my various equipment...very bad. Caused a lot of cable unsightlyness

didnt bt give you any homeplugs (aka ethernet over mains) they rock imho

Are you connecting Modem to WAN port on the router?
That can cause problems if you're trying to use the router as a switch, try one of the LAN ports instead.

Hoom:
All the LAN ports are occupied... Need 'em for my PCs and game consoles. Why would it cause problems?

Davros:
My ISP isn't BT... :) They're not even active in this market. Haven't actually seen any ethernet over mains dummies, but I hear the speed isn't that great. Would be sufficient for the WAN link between router and modem though, but since I live in an apartement building it would mean my packets would leak outside my home. Wouldn't want anyone listening in... :p

How IP routing works:

Each device has an IP address, a subnet mask and a gateway.

It assumes, that it can communicate directly with each other device that has an IP address covered by the subnet mask, and will have to contact the gateway for everything else.

Figure it out.

If you cannot make it work like that, you can add static routes ("add route" in a command box in Windows) to specify what route should be taken for each combination of IP ranges.

Make a drawing.

DNS servers work the same way: they have to know which name goes with which IP address (on a LAN, only your DHCP server knows about the local ones), and they have to be reachable from the subnet you're in (through the gateway or a static route, if needed).

Ethernet over power can realistically reach up to 4mbps on average circuits. Mine is now doing 3.3mbps, but in my old flat it was only 1.3mbps (old electric installation).

Also from my experience it is better to let your WAN router do the routing and use modem only as PPPoA. That way you will be able to log on to modem as it will show to your network like any other external address.
No need to do 255.255.0.0 mask ;)

Back