Netflix Streaming Coming to PS3 Next Month

There really isn't anything to learn. You pop in the disc and it pops out an activation code you input at the Netflix site. Aside from that there isn't anything to do aside from rebooting the system? Be sure you have 720p output checked on your PS3 but why would you disable that since the majority of PS3 games output 720p.

Edit: Someone on Neogaf didn't get an activation code because he had his clock set forward to opt out of the PSN ticker.
If Win7 streams it then why do we have to have a Netflix enabled device to enable the HD section? For me there is no HD section since I stopped using Netflix on 360. When it was available the stream defaulted to the standard SD stream on my PC but I was using XP then. I'll try it out on Win7 tomorrow.
Just like I thought HD doesn't stream to the PC. Unless you think this is HD. That's why you need a Netflix device activation code to activate the HD section because HD is only for Netflix devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I've seen SD content reach a max of 3Mbps and HD a max of 5Mbps. Both SD and HD use AVC.

Edit: HD bitrate goes up to 6Mbps.

Read in AVS that the NF video on a Mac Mini looks better than the PS3.

So don't they have to use Silverlight or whatever that MS streaming video tech is called?

Macs/PC don't stream HD so I don't see how that can be true. On the PS3 it's a BD-J app using the AVC codec. 360 Netflix uses a different codec apparently(I assume VC-1, there should be no difference in quality).

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/06/hands-on-netflix-on-ps3/

First, the activation process is slow and requires the use of a computer -- there is no way to activate Netflix directly from the PS3. (You won't be able to use the PS3 internet browser for activation purposes either.) Second, the loading of cover art is suspiciously slow. Finally, there is no way to directly manage your Queue from the interface. While you'll be able to browse various categories, there is no Search capability. One benefit the PS3 has over the 360 in this regard is the built-in browser. You will be able to use the PS3's internet browser to manage your Queue. It's a baffling additional step, but it certainly is an added convenience. (ProTip: Use SELECT to add a bookmark to your PS3 internet browser.)

While the previous video we posted suggested otherwise, we can confirm that HD video works on PS3, and it works well. In fact, it's a bit faster than watching SD content, simply because you won't have to wait for the PS3 to switch between resolution modes.

One annoying thing is it doesn't upscale SD content. It outputs widescreen SD content in anamorphic 480p from which you have to stretch it through your HDTV. And then you have to set your HDTV back to 4:3 for 4:3 content. I hated doing this for the Wii.

Edit: Looks like it's my HDTV that is at issue in not automatically stretching the anamorphic SD movies since they do have an anamorphic flag.

Apparently its available now, and here's a video too (although it looks a tad fake - it's not really that fast, I presume?)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/11/netflix-on-the-ps3-available-now/

Mine isn't that fast but I wouldn't classify it as slow just slower than the 360 implementation. The info panes do not seem to cache so for each menu there is always a brief moment of nothing but gray boxes. The 360 needed to be activated from a computer as well so that is a wash. It isn't bad at all, though I still like the look and usability of the 360 more as it seems I can get from my instant queue and recently watched MUCH faster than on the PS3. The great thing about the PS3 version is also the drawback that I just mentioned the PS3 gives you many more Suggested selections for you to peruse thus the slightly downgraded usability for me when trying to quickly return to a previous "Suggestion".

If all you have is a PS3 this is an excellent app (save the disc necessity), if you are a PS3/360 owner and don't mind the Live cost I suggest the 360. Neither is bad.

Big yawn on this one.

Their streaming movie selection is very limited. If the studios released more titles, then Netflix probably wouldn't be including it for no additional cost on their regular plans.

The Blu-Ray rentals got popular and Netflix added a surcharge to be able to rent Blu-Rays. The fact that they haven't for streaming should tell you something.

For all the PR Netflix streaming gets, it's not a big deal yet. Netflix would like to dump discs but a lot of customers are videophiles who would not trade Blu-rays for streaming at a fraction of the bitrate.

So all they have mostly are TV shows which are out on DVD. And then they don't seem to have the recent HBO series.

http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2009/0...tion-slower-internet-movie-streaming-adoption

"Some 700,000 Netflix subscribers are renting Blu-ray discs through the service, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said on the company's Q4 earnings call, according to Sillicon Alley Insider. That represents almost an 30% increase from last September, when about 500,000 Netflix subscribers were Blu-ray users. At the same time, "Millions" of subscribers used Netflix's streaming service within the last month, Hastings said."

That number is now outdated. Analysts estimated that NetFlix has surpassed 1 million Blu-ray subscribers (or very close to it) in their most recent financial report. The estimation is based on numbers provided by the CFO/CEO (Can't remember who).

Also wco81 is not wrong because the streaming part has not been making money. It is funded by $$$ earned from the disc rental businesss according to their previous reports.

http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2009/0...tion-slower-internet-movie-streaming-adoption

"Some 700,000 Netflix subscribers are renting Blu-ray discs through the service, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said on the company's Q4 earnings call, according to Sillicon Alley Insider. That represents almost an 30% increase from last September, when about 500,000 Netflix subscribers were Blu-ray users. At the same time, "Millions" of subscribers used Netflix's streaming service within the last month, Hastings said."

Not to point out the obvious, but for everyone Blu-ray rental is an added pay service, streaming however is free for almost everyone. I'm having a hard time seeing the business model comparison here.

blu-ray.com speculates that Videociety is the BD-Live application that enabled Netflix service:
http://www.dvd-intelligence.com/display-article.php?article=642

It's actually pretty cool that BD-Live 2.0 players can run this application. Would be very interesting if Sony can virtualize the PS3 Blu-ray drive, or at least reroute the BD-Live security model to Marlin's (If it makes sense at all :p !)

According to here, NetFlix works with RCDb to implement PS3 instant streaming.

Related Content Database (RCDb), a provider of software and services for network-connected Blu-ray discs, announced today that it has entered a technology licensing and services agreement with Netflix, Inc. to jointly develop the instant streaming BD that enables Netflix members to instantly watch movies and TV episodes on their PS3.

RCDb and its partner MX Productions also provided Netflix with BD-J software development services and advanced Blu-ray format consulting.

“We are excited about breaking new ground with Netflix”, said RCDb CEO Zane Vella, “Blu-ray is now mainstream and BD-Live provides an important bridge between physical discs and premium digital content distribution.”

Quick, BDA should standardize the Blu-ray digital distribution framework with Enteractive and RCDb -- just like what they are doing for 3D Blu-ray.

Not to point out the obvious, but for everyone Blu-ray rental is an added pay service, streaming however is free for almost everyone. I'm having a hard time seeing the business model comparison here.

The post i quote stated that the bluray fee was the reaction to its popularity and that netflix's streaming being free had something to do with its limited use.

Netflix charges more because it simply costs more to obtain bluray movies versus DVD. Streaming popularity may be driven by its being free but that inherent characteristic of the tech as there are no need to purchase DVDs/BluRays and pay for shipping those discs to the homes of the subscribers.

Netflix is expanding its streaming service and its being planned on more than just consoles and BD players.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10249727-1.html?tag=mncol

The streaming model is a model that Netflix is aggressively pursuing.

1 of 2 things...

1) Gold is no longer required for Netflix. That way Silver subscribers can access it. I'll gladly pay for online gaming & other benefits like early access to demos & other game content like 1vs100, but not Facebook, Twitter or Last.fm. Non-gaming apps should be free. My household has only 1 Gold account & it will stay that way. I'm not buying a Gold account just for my wife just so she can access those non-gaming apps since she doesn't play online.

or

2) Additional Netflix features added so a PC is no longer required to use it: examples: text search like Zune just got and/or ability to view & add to the DVD queue.

BTW, I don't consider the sole exclusive party feature worth the extra cost that they're asking for. I've never used it & don't plan to. They could take it out and I wouldn't miss it.

Microsoft now has to explain to the public how & why their Netflix service requires an additional paid service when their competitor is free. I don't think they have done that sufficiently & it looks like they don't plan to.

Tommy McClain

Grumble Grumble. Yeah their quip "exclusive access online gaming" is ... You pay for P2P online gaming and it seems a huge majority of MS's emphasis is free stuff to all users that is supported through ads and paid memberships.

Not to derail, but Sony's approach to user swappable HDDs (without getting banned!) with reasonable prices, free online play and a number of exclusives with dedicated servers, no-additional cost for services like Netflix, and no need to "oh, look, we added Twitter and Facebook lolz!" when a basic browser (!) can do that.

Sony may be substantially slower and take longer to work through the kinks but there are some pretty big pluses. The fact you may want to be on Live playing and also use another box to stream Netflix, but be locked out due to GT issues, is pretty silly. Just as silly as those stupid games that require 2 Gold accounts for split screen online.

Tommy, you are right that they don't and won't explain these things. As long as it is profitable and consumers continue to purchase it, it remains a viable business approach.

Kudos to Sony for expanding their online services without adding additional fees. Still don't like some of their policies (e.g. demos) but dare I say with the PS4 the use of more standard features and tools (like a more functional browser; maybe Sony dash plugins tied to special browser pages -- would be a much faster way to massively deploy unique content in an extremely fast way) could allow it to outpace the 360's concept. We will see how they evolve. Until Sony starts leading and knock Live on its heels, though, I don't expect much in terms of change.

The post i quote stated that the bluray fee was the reaction to its popularity and that netflix's streaming being free had something to do with its limited use.

That's why I was stating the obvious but it still didn't stop them from proclaiming millions using streaming and the title of the article was Blu-Ray Adoption Slower Than Internet Movie Streaming Adoption where again one is a pay for addon service and the other is basically free for anyone who is in the comparison. When they have a streaming only plan that has millions of subscribers then I'll be impressed, or better yet, how about a streaming and Blu-ray plan.

Netflix charges more because it simply costs more to obtain bluray movies versus DVD.
Negligable, and since Blu-ray has the scratch proof coating it may be cheaper for Netflix overall.

Streaming popularity may be driven by its being free but that inherent characteristic of the tech as there are no need to purchase DVDs/BluRays and pay for shipping those discs to the homes of the subscribers.

If their business model is based on studios allowing them to not pay for the movies then good luck to them. I know I'm being a bit snarky with that comment come on........... Shipping is obviously a savings but does it represent additional profit or will the savings just be passed on to entice them to use it.

Netflix is expanding its streaming service and its being planned on more than just consoles and BD players.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10249727-1.html?tag=mncol

The streaming model is a model that Netflix is aggressively pursuing.

Of course they're trying to grow it, but where are they letting it stand on its own? And how can you compare a free offering to something that is already generating revenue as if they're the same?

That number is now outdated. Analysts estimated that NetFlix has surpassed 1 million Blu-ray subscribers (or very close to it) in their most recent financial report. The estimation is based on numbers provided by the CFO/CEO (Can't remember who).

Also wco81 is not wrong because the streaming part has not been making money. It is funded by $$$ earned from the disc rental businesss according to their previous reports.

And given the push Netflix is making with its streaming service, Im sure the users of streaming service has gone up as well.

It makes money by making the overall service more attractive as the PS3's offering of the Netflix service makes the console more attractive but the service itself doesn't directly provide Sony with revenue.

That's why I was stating the obvious but it still didn't stop them from proclaiming millions using streaming and the title of the article was Blu-Ray Adoption Slower Than Internet Movie Streaming Adoption where again one is a pay for addon service and the other is basically free for anyone who is in the comparison. When they have a streaming only plan that has millions of subscribers then I'll be impressed, or better yet, how about a streaming and Blu-ray plan.

Streaming helps make their standard plan more attractive. It cost them very little to have the feature, therefore they provide it to consumers for free. There is a reason why Netflix service is showing up on a lot of hardware. It takes very little cost to implement but helps creates a more robust feature set thereby increasing the attractiveness of the hardware. The PS3 get an additional feature for little cost with the hopes that the service indirectly leads to more sales while Netflix becomes more attrative to the PS3 userbase with the hope of additional subscriptions.

Negligable, and since Blu-ray has the scratch proof coating it may be cheaper for Netflix overall.

If Bluray disc are proving to cheaper to Netflix then why charge more for the service. How does it makes sense to support a small subset of Netflix users with Bluray by charging when you can save more money overall by allowing the whole userbase to make use a disc media thats cheaper to maintain than DVD.

If their business model is based on studios allowing them to not pay for the movies then good luck to them. I know I'm being a bit snarky with that comment come on........... Shipping is obviously a savings but does it represent additional profit or will the savings just be passed on to entice them to use it..

There is a reason why new releases aren't on streaming and thats because studios would want a bigger cut with subscriptions fee. Disc based media gives you some control in terms cost savings when it comes to big release thats not inherent to a on demand streaming subscription model. Netflix can limit the amount of discs available to its userbase thus allowing it control how much in fees it has to pay. But a on demand model can't be reliably controlled in such fashion. A on demand model where its bascially a lotto system for new releases isn't very attractive. A pay per view would make more sense under that scenario. But they don't offer such a service. Will they in the future? Who's to know.

Of course they're trying to grow it, but where are they letting it stand on its own? And how can you compare a free offering to something that is already generating revenue as if they're the same?

They don't have to let stand on its own. Its an attractive model because its cost to incorporates is hugely outweighed by the benefits it provides for users. As a standard feature it makes Netflix overall service more attractive to potential subscribers.

And given the push Netflix is making with its streaming service and sure the users of streaming service has gone up as well.

It makes money by making the overall service more attractive as the PS3's offering of the Netflix service makes the console more attractive but the service itself doesn't directly provide Sony with revenue.

You'll have to talk to NetFlix CFO to phrase it. In his words, he simply stated that it's not money making yet. Otherwise, they may be able to offer it separately/standalone.

It doesn't really matter since they appeal to different population, and brings value to NetFlix's paying customers.

You'll have to talk to NetFlix CFO to phrase it. In his words, he simply stated that it's not money making yet. Otherwise, they may be able to offer it separately/standalone.

It doesn't really matter since they appeal to different population, and brings value to NetFlix's paying customers.

This a portion of the Letter to Shareholders from the annual 2008 report.

http://www.shareholder.com/visitors...=2609&PIN=&Page=3&Zoom=1x&Section=69193#69193

The streaming service is listed in their two key factors (the other being core business of DVD by mail) for current success and future success.

The way the letter is worded, you'd think that Internet streaming will be as big as their DVD core business one day according to them.

You'd think but unfortunately, it's not making money for them yet according to his words when asked by analysts. DVD is declining, they'd hope Blu-ray and/or Internet streaming would be able to make up the difference. They are both key to NetFlix's future. If one of them is not going to be big one day, why bother now ? Might as well invest the money elsewhere.

Back