Netflix Streaming Coming to PS3 Next Month

Uhh.. What? I can stream netflix in HD to my 360. Why would HD streaming on the PS3 through 'BD-Live' be a big deal?

Is BD-Live some streaming service that doesn't normally allow HD quality? What would be the point then?

Microsoft responds...

Microsoft said:
"The Netflix experience on Xbox LIVE is unique and reflects our commitment for social entertainment. We believe we offer an experience today that is a generation ahead of what others are offering," the spokesperson said. "For a little over $4 a month Xbox LIVE Gold membership is hands-down the best value in home entertainment, and gives you exclusive access multi-player gaming and early demos as well as Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Last.fm, "1 vs 100" and more."

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/103/1038969p1.html

Not exactly what I'm wanting to hear, but I can understand why they did.

Tommy McClain

I don't see how the remark about XB Live! cost is relevant to their Netflix experience. Is MS Netflix different to the normal Netflix experience? If not, they can't claim it's unique!

It'd take a lot more than netflix parity for them to drop the Live! revenue stream. Hell, there's a small but utterly dedicated group of people who say they'd pay for Live! even if it was twice as expensive, back when Pachter was tossing his guess-darts.

I don't see how the remark about XB Live! cost is relevant to their Netflix experience. Is MS Netflix different to the normal Netflix experience? If not, they can't claim it's unique!
Netflix parties, for one thing. So yes, it certainly has elements unique to the XBox experience.

Okay. In that respect MS are saying the ongoign Live! cost covers this broader social network, which seems fair.

Uhh.. What? I can stream netflix in HD to my 360. Why would HD streaming on the PS3 through 'BD-Live' be a big deal?

Is BD-Live some streaming service that doesn't normally allow HD quality? What would be the point then?

vazel was concerned initially because the Netflix app on other/some BR players don't have HD streaming.

More details:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/26/netflix-ps3-disc-must-remain-in-system-until-2010-update/

Joystiq: Was the PS3 application developed internally by Netflix?

Netflix: Yes, with the help of the Sony team.

Can the Netflix application be installed to the PS3 hard dive from the disc? Or must the disc be inserted every time a user wants to access Netflix?

Yes, the Netflix disc has to be inserted every time to access the Netflix service.

Is releasing the PS3 application on a disc required by an exclusivity agreement with Microsoft?

The Netflix agreement with Sony for PS3 is consistent with the terms of our partnership with Microsoft for Xbox 360. Our goal is to give members the opportunity to instantly watch movies streamed from Netflix via the widest variety of Netflix ready devices. All of our partners are aware of our goal.

Finally, what's the update on a Netflix application for Wii?

Certainly, the Wii represents a great opportunity given the size of its installed base, but we have nothing specific to say about it at this point. The Xbox partnership has been terrific for Netflix members, and we're equally excited to announce the partnership with PS3.

Before Silverlight, they use Flash. In any case, if there's a business case, I don't think technology would be a showstopper here. e.g., iPhone had a different mechanism to YouTube videos when first launched.

The special Netflix firmware probably requires more tech work. But if the BD-Live approach works now, and people want it out asap, then Sony and Netflix may simply take the easy way out. The usability questions are valid, but without seeing the app in action, it's hard to argue anything. :(

Well that what I mean , BD live uses java so mabye that was the easiest way for them to do it. They also have BD live verisons of netflix on lg players and other players.

blu-ray.com speculates that Videociety is the BD-Live application that enabled Netflix service:
http://www.dvd-intelligence.com/display-article.php?article=642

Hamburg-based Enteractive, one of Europe’s pioneer BD production studios, demonstrated for the first time at MEDIATECH its BD-Live Video on Demand service 'Videociety' – a digital pay-per-view video delivery service that lets users rent movies via their Blu-ray player.

“The streaming service is so fast you can even start watching the movie as it’s downloading. All you need is a Blu-ray Profile 2.0 player or Playstation 3, a personal computer, high-speed Internet connection and a BD-Live VoD-enabled disc,” explains Lothar Kerestedjian, Director of Product & Business Development at Enteractive. “Register, preselect your favorite movies and create your play list on your PC, laptop or iPhone. Insert your BD-Live VoD-enabled disc in your Blu-ray player. Establish a broadband connection, login and enjoy your movies with the remote control. Just like watching a DVD.”

The movies are encoded in the high quality MPEG-4 (H.264) video format with either Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround audio.

It's actually pretty cool that BD-Live 2.0 players can run this application. Would be very interesting if Sony can virtualize the PS3 Blu-ray drive, or at least reroute the BD-Live security model to Marlin's (If it makes sense at all :p !)

Ooooh, I wonder if that will allow HD netflix streaming on PC then? I'd be tempted to buy a BD drive just to get access to HD Netflix streams on PC.

One of the reasons Netflix doesn't do HD streaming on PC is because they can't guarantee a fully copy protected HDCP enabled stream through PC. Content holders don't want people capturing and encoding HD streams on PC.

Regards,
SB

Big yawn on this one.

Their streaming movie selection is very limited. If the studios released more titles, then Netflix probably wouldn't be including it for no additional cost on their regular plans.

The Blu-Ray rentals got popular and Netflix added a surcharge to be able to rent Blu-Rays. The fact that they haven't for streaming should tell you something.

For all the PR Netflix streaming gets, it's not a big deal yet. Netflix would like to dump discs but a lot of customers are videophiles who would not trade Blu-rays for streaming at a fraction of the bitrate.

So all they have mostly are TV shows which are out on DVD. And then they don't seem to have the recent HBO series.

Their streaming movie selection is very limited. If the studios released more titles, then Netflix probably wouldn't be including it for no additional cost on their regular plans.

^_^ That's why Netflix complements Blu-ray for some people. Netflix's TV show selection is better than the Blu-ray library. The latter has better new movie releases. DVD certainly has the best selection, then again, some may prefer the convenience or/and added quality. You can always rent DVD from Netflix.

Ooooh, I wonder if that will allow HD netflix streaming on PC then? I'd be tempted to buy a BD drive just to get access to HD Netflix streams on PC.

One of the reasons Netflix doesn't do HD streaming on PC is because they can't guarantee a fully copy protected HDCP enabled stream through PC. Content holders don't want people capturing and encoding HD streams on PC.

There is no technical reason why PC can't stream HD movies. HDCP can be checked programmatically. So I reckon it will come one day ?

What were you wanting to hear?

1 of 2 things...

1) Gold is no longer required for Netflix. That way Silver subscribers can access it. I'll gladly pay for online gaming & other benefits like early access to demos & other game content like 1vs100, but not Facebook, Twitter or Last.fm. Non-gaming apps should be free. My household has only 1 Gold account & it will stay that way. I'm not buying a Gold account just for my wife just so she can access those non-gaming apps since she doesn't play online.

or

2) Additional Netflix features added so a PC is no longer required to use it: examples: text search like Zune just got and/or ability to view & add to the DVD queue.

BTW, I don't consider the sole exclusive party feature worth the extra cost that they're asking for. I've never used it & don't plan to. They could take it out and I wouldn't miss it.

Microsoft now has to explain to the public how & why their Netflix service requires an additional paid service when their competitor is free. I don't think they have done that sufficiently & it looks like they don't plan to.

Tommy McClain

Regards,
SB

win 7 streams it and the quality of 30 rock at least is pretty high. I don't think its 1080p but its pretty nice

The discs are mailing out today. We should get them tomorrow.
win 7 streams it and the quality of 30 rock at least is pretty high. I don't think its 1080p but its pretty nice
If Win7 streams it then why do we have to have a Netflix enabled device to enable the HD section? For me there is no HD section since I stopped using Netflix on 360. When it was available the stream defaulted to the standard SD stream on my PC but I was using XP then. I'll try it out on Win7 tomorrow.

What's up with some of you I'm watching 30 Rock in HD right now. The bitrate is 3-5Mbps so it is HD. And according to my HDTV the PS3 is outputting 720p. You're supposed to get an activation code when you pop in the disc be sure to activate that.

Back