Nehalem Desktop Roadmap Leaked

Looks like that processor will be top dog for half of next year as well...I thought that was when Westmere was supposed to come out.

I think a 4C/8T Nehalem will be a good upgrade from my E6300 :)

I think a 4C/8T Nehalem will be a good upgrade from my E6300 :)

I think you're right.

I'm sitting on an E8400 that can hit 4GHz with relative ease (albeit rather high volts) so I think I'll wait out Nehalem. I'd like to hold off until Sandy Bridge, but if the 32nm process brings significant clockspeed scaling improvements to the Nehalem family (i.e. Westmere) then I may go that route.

Hmm, Nehalem looks great. It's too bad I can't and won't be able to afford it at launch. Ah well, it's not like my Q6600 is going to feel "slow" anytime soon. Or is it? Ah, such is the face of the rapidly evolving technological world!

Sorry if this has been discussed already but could someone walk me through why aren't the northbridge and southbridge merging into a single chipset now that the memory controller in integrated into the CPU?

I would think that just leaving the northbridge with, essencially, babysitting the graphics PCIe slot is a terrible inefficiency but perhaps there are other, non-technical issues at stake like wields and whatnot.

The remaining chipset functionality is dirt-cheap to manufacture. There's no real cost savings or performance benefit to be had from integrating these onto the CPU die at this point. Also, motherboard manufacturers wouldn't be too happy about the matter, as it would make product differentiation even that much more difficult in an already over-crowded market.

The remaining chipset functionality is dirt-cheap to manufacture. There's no real cost savings or performance benefit to be had from integrating these onto the CPU die at this point. Also, motherboard manufacturers wouldn't be too happy about the matter, as it would make product differentiation even that much more difficult in an already over-crowded market.

No, no. I'm not talking of integrating the remaining chipset functions into the CPU, only merging the northbridge and southbridges into a single chipset now that the northbridge is twiddling its proverbial thumbs.

Pardon the misunderstanding. NV must not yet be capable of hosting all the requsite PCI-e 2.0/1.x lanes on a single chip, yet. Probably easier to physically route traces for two chips in different directions/areas of the board in some respect as well.

Back