NBA 2K7 First Look (PS3)

I am not sure I would go that far...it is kind of gimmicky. If you have played NBA2k7 then you know that most all of the major players and a good chuck of the lesser know have their actual or simulated animations for shots including free throws. Thus you have to time your release to match that players animation. Some like Chauncy Billups from the Pistons shoot very fast (about x2 the speed of the video). Then you have Shaq's animations which has this funky hitch (just like he does in real life) which takes a good 5 seconds to shoot. Thats a lot of different hand movements to time and learn. And since when I shoot free throws in my mens basketball league I have my own style :)

I guess what I am trying to say is that 2k7 free throws I dont think are they best mapping, and thus I feel its kind of a gimick...

Honestly man, if this is gimmicky then everything on the Wii is gimmicky and we should just treat the whole Wii generation as such.

Honestly man, if this is gimmicky then everything on the Wii is gimmicky and we should just treat the whole Wii generation as such.

Not really, this is a tiny little minigame in the middle of an otherwise conventional game. Wii is building whole games around the new controller.

p.s. I do lead towards the Wii = Gimmick side of the fence, but still...

Not really, this is a tiny little minigame in the middle of an otherwise conventional game. Wii is building whole games around the new controller.

p.s. I do lead towards the Wii = Gimmick side of the fence, but still...

Again imo if this is a gimmick....

Hold on what's your defintion of the word gimmick anyway?

mckmas8808,

no i would dissagree with your reasoning as for the same reasons Scooby pointed out. If they built the 2k7 game around the PS3 controller then we would have a lot more things it could do. But they did not, so in that sense its a gimick. WII as Scooby says was build from the ground up with that type of control in mind... and I also think its kind of gimmick.

I work out 5 days a week. I play in two mens basketball league. When I am sitting down playing a game, its my time to relax. The only extra motion I want other than button pressing is reaching for the next drink or snack :p

If they built the 2k7 game around the PS3 controller then we would have a lot more things it could do.
What kind of game design do you have in your mind as the 2k7 game built around the PS3 controller?

you guys need to chill out, they will most likely give you the option of turning this "gimmick" off if you dont like it, and its there for people who like it. Even 1st party games are giving you the option. Wii is kinda different because most of the time, theres no option to turn it off if you dont like it.

Again imo if this is a gimmick....

Hold on what's your defintion of the word gimmick anyway?

I just explained the difference I see between this and a Wii game. What are you missing? I don't see the point in arguing about the definition of a word, I think we're all grown up enough to understand what the word gimmick means in teh english language.

mckmas8808,

no i would dissagree with your reasoning as for the same reasons Scooby pointed out. If they built the 2k7 game around the PS3 controller then we would have a lot more things it could do. But they did not, so in that sense its a gimick. WII as Scooby says was build from the ground up with that type of control in mind... and I also think its kind of gimmick.

I work out 5 days a week. I play in two mens basketball league. When I am sitting down playing a game, its my time to relax. The only extra motion I want other than button pressing is reaching for the next drink or snack :p

It's something that we will see a lot of in PS3 games. It's all in personal preference. Some people like me want motion sensing in games, while having great graphics at the sametime. And I also like the fact that you don't have to use the motion sensing for everything.

Obviously the best thing for 2K games to do is make it optional. I would have thought it was a gimmick to by reading it, but when I seen the guy actually shooting the ball with the controller I couldn't help but love the thought of it in a game.

What kind of game design do you have in your mind as the 2k7 game built around the PS3 controller?

I dont understand your question, I was just pointing out that this seems to be the only area that the PS3 version of NBA2k7 will make use of the PS3's controller extra abilities. And to me, it sort of feels tacked on (I mean why not use this feature else were, why was it only free throws, ect).

Bad_Boy,
i was just saying for NBA 2k7 game design of how freethrows now have to be indivduled timed to each player, this did not seem like the best matching of features of the controler to the game...

It's something that we will see a lot of in PS3 games. It's all in personal preference. Some people like me want motion sensing in games, while having great graphics at the sametime. And I also like the fact that you don't have to use the motion sensing for everything.

Obviously the best thing for 2K games to do is make it optional. I would have thought it was a gimmick to by reading it, but when I seen the guy actually shooting the ball with the controller I couldn't help but love the thought of it in a game.

I guess different strokes for different folks. There are many areas where the PS3 contollers motion sensing ability will be very very usefull. But to me as a baskatball player and some one that invested countless hours in trying to master NBA2k6 and now NBA2k7, I just dont think they mate well...

I dont understand your question, I was just pointing out that this seems to be the only area that the PS3 version of NBA2k7 will make use of the PS3's controller extra abilities. And to me, it sort of feels tacked on (I mean why not use this feature else were, why was it only free throws, ect).

Bad_Boy,
i was just saying for NBA 2k7 game design of how freethrows now have to be indivduled timed to each player, this did not seem like the best matching of features of the controler to the game...

They said they have other uses for the controller, but it seems like they didn't have enough time to impletment it and will be in next year's version.

And doesn't pairing up everybody's free throw shots in the game to the motion shooting more immersive?

They said they have other uses for the controller, but it seems like they didn't have enough time to impletment it and will be in next year's version.

Sounds like a gimmick then to me, some feature tacked on at the end of the developement cycle :)

And doesn't pairing up everybody's free throw shots in the game to the motion shooting more immersive?

Its just as immersive as using their shoot stick to time the shot. If I want immersive, I will grab the ball and go to the local park. And of course get my @ss handed to me by some 17 year old and learn a bunch of new temrs on the court, but thats besides the point :)

Its just as immersive as using their shoot stick to time the shot. If I want immersive, I will grab the ball and go to the local park. And of course get my @ss handed to me by some 17 year old and learn a bunch of new temrs on the court, but thats besides the point :)

Sure. :rolleyes: Okay looks like you will crap on this feature till the end of time so I quit.

Bad_Boy,

Well this controller is obviously giving you another method of "being the player", I dont think it was made to replace the orginal method see in in the 360 version, but just to give another way of doing things by supporting the motion sensing controller. Its really subjective on whether people will like it or not so its no point to argue now, which is why I believe they will still give you the option to turn it off if you don't like it. They said they may implement different methods so the foul shot might not be the only thing we see. For example, NBA 07 uses the motion sensing controller to do cross overs.

At the end of the day, if you dont like this, and you have the option to turn it off, I dont see whats the problem by including it...even if it's a bit "gimmicky" to some people. Its like arguing over free stuff if you ask me.

Sure. :rolleyes: Okay looks like you will crap on this feature till the end of time so I quit.

in fairness.... if you have played NBA 2k7 (I have this game running in my 360 as we speak) you would understand his hesitancy as it is a challenge to shoot free throws with the stick due to timing. Until we actually see the implementation first hand it's hard not to wonder if it is just a gimmick that will be turned off by most people.

By the way... the PS3 2k7 (from the crappy video) looks exactly like the 360 version from here.

So you don't believe the gamespot article?

the gamespot article was on nba 07. different game.

if the game ends up being 1080p, then we have an interesting discussion on our hands. but I have my doubts it will be anything higher than 720p/1080i, atleast for this year.

in fairness.... if you have played NBA 2k7 (I have this game running in my 360 as we speak) you would understand his hesitancy as it is a challenge to shoot free throws with the stick due to timing. Until we actually see the implementation first hand it's hard not to wonder if it is just a gimmick that will be turned off by most people.

By the way... the PS3 2k7 (from the crappy video) looks exactly like the 360 version from here.

I understand that much. But it is an extra. A feature I would love to use with 100s of different shooting styles.

Back