Natural Motion Football: "Backbreaker"

Demo on xbox live.

Oh my lord, THE HITTING! This game is fast and brutal. The contact is incredibly lifelike, especially when a linesman is trying to block you to the outside and you're trying to push through.

EA should feel threatened by this. The bar for physics in football has been raised. Mind you, this game doesn't have real teams, and probably is missing some of the sim element.

Who needs real teams when you can make them yourself?

The Forza 3 of football games...

Tommy McClain

some WOW moments... love the camera, love the stick controls.. all a little sparse but graphics still look better than any sports game yet (although not as realistic) and the physics engine is just OMG, insane.

I love playing defense, the camera takes some getting used to but I have always been a fan of cameras like the "DRIVE" camera and first person modes for sports games so I DIG IT... also it's so nice to see the play develop from the defense side and hits feel great...

The more I play with this, the more I'm blown away. So far I've just been doing tackle alley.

There are so many cool things that you'll see on each tackle. I just had a nice one where I stiff armed a guy, and one of his hands grasped onto the ball as he was falling, but I just pulled away from him and his hand slipped away.

Another good one was juking around a tackle, but when I stepped forward he reached out, from lying down and grabbed my ankle to haul me over.

I'd rather see these kinds of improvements over visual improvements at this point, to be honest.

Well it's not going to get any market share without the licenses.

If they can't move x number of units, they can't continue to develop.

Or get EA to notice and hopefully get EA to buy their tech (then probably shelve it and continue to use their mo-cap stuff).

How is the running game?

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hue7A8OaPC8#t=47s

I am digging the controller layout for rushing. Pretty simple, keeps your fingers on the sticks.

Oh, and those video graphics look hot (grass, stadiums, shadows, lighting). Some animations seem "bulky" and the player models are meh, but overall very nice.

How is the running game?

Stiff arming people and running people over has never been so fun! Controls are very simple and responsive. Seems like it's easy to pick up, difficult to master. That said, I'm absolutely terrible at this game. I mostly play tackle alley.

Demo is only 450 megs or something, so I'd encourage people to try it.

I cannot wait to play you Scott. You have 2-3 weeks to practice. What a horrible time to RRoD!!

I am hoping they have a scat back ala Barry Sanders (quick cutting in addition to jukes) ... drooooool! Passing game looks different, may take getting used to.

The consensus appears to be that there are good parts of the game that Madden can't deliver but AI is bad, online against human opponents has potential.

Sounds like the situation with GameDay 98, where it goes to polygons while Madden remains with sprites but has things like actual AI.

The reviews kind of make you think they should have stuck with Tacke Alley as a Live Arcade and PSN game. It's actually a lot of fun.

Evidently the head to head play (especially online) is GREAT, but the AI in SP is too immature to be taken seriously.

the engine itself? Mag-friggin-nificent.

If I start reading good impressions about online play, then I might pick it up. I think I'd struggle online because I know very little about calling plays and picking a defense.

You might struggle to find other people to play against also. I really doubt this will sell well. Football/sports fans are too conditioned to Madden for their fix and the poor reviews certainly won't help sales.

Back