nAo talks about Heavenly Sword (You need to read this)

radeonic2 said:
Why would racing games not benefit as much?
You do realize that FPS and racing games aren't really comparable right?
Racing games don't have things that move across the screen fast, and no crazy jumps (usally..) so I find that I have to use higher resolution and fsaa vs FPS games since it's easier to see aliasing when you're not moving around (the screen) very fast.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say here. The reason I feel World of Warcraft benefits more from a higher resolution than these other games is that it requires a lot of information to be on the screen at once. Especially when you are in a raid situation, you need to be able to see the status of 40 players, have multiple button bars mapped to the edges of the screen, a world map, and other information presented while simultaneously still being able to see what's going on around you in the game. Playing WoW at anything less than 1280x1024 feels cramped, and even at that resolution it can be tough to manage at times. FPS games and Racing games generally don't display as much information. An ingame map and a couple of statistics like weapons/health or speed/direction are all that you generally see in those kinds of games. Certainly any game benefits from the sharper detail that 1080p gives.

Nite_Hawk

london-boy said:
Response time needs to be as low as possible to avoid ghosting.
Refresh rate is the rate the screen gets updated in a certain period of time (per second) and usually the higher the better.

So the HP LCD that has a 12ms reponse rate is better than the Sony and it's 8ms reponse rate?

mckmas8808 said:
So the HP LCD that has a 12ms reponse rate is better than the Sony and it's 8ms reponse rate?

No, the opposite! Responde time needs to be LOWER.
On LCDs, refresh rate is kinda meaningless anyway.

london-boy said:
No, the opposite! Responde time needs to be LOWER.
Granted, manufacture often rate their response times with that in mind and often fudge the numbers a bit.. So just becuase one displays specs shows a lower response time than another doesn't mean it will have less ghosting.

kyleb said:
Granted, manufacture often rate their response times with that in mind and often fudge the numbers a bit.. So just becuase one displays specs shows a lower response time than another doesn't mean it will have less ghosting.

Of course. I think these days all manufacturers quote grey-to-grey transition anyway, which don't tell the whole story, but at least you know that they ALL don't tell the whole story, if you know what i mean... And figure fixing is always going to happen until someone steps in to fine those manufacturers HARD when they are found to be lying about technical specifications.
Even these silly contrast ratio, especially the Samsung ones (10,000:1 when it's about 100 times lower?!).

london-boy said:
Of course. I think these days all manufacturers quote grey-to-grey transition anyway, which don't tell the whole story, but at least you know that they ALL don't tell the whole story, if you know what i mean... And figure fixing is always going to happen until someone steps in to fine those manufacturers HARD when they are found to be lying about technical specifications.
Even these silly contrast ratio, especially the Samsung ones (10,000:1 when it's about 100 times lower?!).

At least grey-to-grey is a better measure than the rise/fall time. What we really need is the average, the std deviation, the min, and the max response times across every possible transition. That's probably too confusing for most people, but it would give us a good idea of what's going on (A histogram would be better of course).

Nite_Hawk

All that's needed is a standard series of tests that takes those factors into account and then is summed up in a couple of metrics. The lack of standard tests allows the manufacturers to create whatever reference points they want to sell their product which is utterly incomparable with rivals, except they use the same metric so everyone things they mean the same thing. Like comparing inflation or unemployment between countires, it's impossible when each country has it's own way of meauring those things. And once you have a standard test, you could create a scoring system to describe the set.

Sometimes I feel the IEEE should run the entire world :p

london-boy said:

What is a general all around good contrast ratio anyway? 1,000:1? 3,000:1? And what is Samsung doing to fudge their contast ratio numbers up like that? Is their adding different than everybody else?

Hey i was over at teamxbox.

I don't know if I should say this or not and you guys can disbelieve this if you like (i'm not sure whether to believe it myself) , I spoke to my pal who works on a Nowegian game site via MSN and he let me in on an MSN conversation he claims to have had with NAO (Heavenly Sword developer)

Couple of interesting points came up

*RSX is weaker than a 7800 GTX and the devkits (said to be due to bandwidth & ROPs)
*Basically a 7900 core (I am going to try to confirm that isn't a typo) built on 7600 parts (purely a guess on my part would be due to cost)
*Said he thought the only thing it beats Xenos on would be framebuffer effects that aren't suitable for the eDram

Again, take with a grain of salt, but my pal is trustworthy

Since i heard that NAO or the heavenly sword devs post here. I would like to know if this true because doesn't this violate NDAs? Did a heavenly sword dev really talk to this "Friend"? Or is this just another xbox ****** trying claim that the xenos is superior to the RSX?

slackpiv said:
Hey i was over at teamxbox.

Since i heard that NAO or the heavenly sword devs post here. I would like to know if this true because doesn't this violate NDAs? Did a heavenly sword dev really talk to this "Friend"? Or is this just another xbox ****** trying claim that the xenos is superior to the RSX?

Please don't bring drama like this over here. There was no point in spreading something like this further other than to stir up ****

nAo said:
c'mon, try harder, I'm smarter than that

nAo, I read that the PS3 is 2x faster than the Xbox 360 and Next Gen does not begin until Sony says so. I know you're under NDA, but could you maybe wink, nod, or otherwise confirm this?

Also, could you tell us if Killzone's 2005 E3 showing was CGI?

Thanks, and as always you are the best.

xoxox

Acert93

slackpiv said:
You really had a doubt about the potential answer?

Now, let's try to get back to topic, which isn't LCD's response times or refresh rates. ;)

Nao: I heard from a very reliable friend that Derek Smart invented nao32 for a new sequel to battlecruiser 3000AD. His version actually provides a 57.6% wider color range and uses 3 fewer instructions, but due to time constraints he was never able to release it. The one used in heavenly sword is just a poor immitation stolen from him to besmirch his name. Any truth to this?

Nite_Hawk

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, now that's just classic.

Do we still have a SmartMeter(TM) running to see how long it takes for him to show up after his name has been besmirched?

Back