'Naked' X-ray scan at Heathrow airport

Captain Chickenpants:
It might be so, but then there was a few well photoshopped images floating around at the time they released that (imaginary) camera. People didn't look naked, but it looked like their clothes were semi-transparent.
Current cameras do have IR-blocking filters, they djust don't block all IR.

Btw, what's wrong with calling a IR-pass filter just IR filter?
If somebody talked about a blue filter, I would think of a filter that looks blue, ie let's through blue light.

I just seem to recall this getting hyped up and then nothing really coming of it, my camera takes perfectly nice IR photos with an IR filter on the front, but it won't even see through a rubbish bag (which I beleive are supposed to be very transparent to IR). After a bit of looking on the web, it seems I was wrong, this was apparantly a real issue, but only on very specific clothing (e.g. wet swimsuits apparantly)

My problem with the naming convention is the inconsitency of them (at least as used in photography) a UV filter is a UV blocking filter but an IR filter is an IR pass filter, just seems deliberatly confusing to an outsider.

I guess I will have to get a new IR filter now, as my existing one won't fit my new camera.

CC

Basic said:
Now, where can I find a IR filter to do some experimenting?
IIRC, according to some photography books I've got, you can use several layers of developed negatives (i.e. the blank frames at the end ) to form a filter. Supposedly, that will block visible light but not infrared. I've not tried it myself because I was never keen enough to buy infrared film for my SLR - a couple of rolls of B&W was the limit of my creativity :)

PC-Engine said:
This may be a dumb question, but how do you get radiation from a flight?
As Oden says, the radiation comes from outer space. The reason you get more of it in a flight is that you have less atmosphere absorbing it above you. So you will also get more radiation on a mountain than at sea level. (Unless of course you're at sea level, but at a spot with high background radiation from the ground.)

From Rapiscan's site:
Radiation levels
Code:
Denver (5000 ft.)     Up to 600 microRem per day
Miami (sea level)     Up to 300 microRem per day
One hour flight       Up to 500 microRem per hour
SECURE 1000           Less than 10 microRem per scan!

Back