My son's birthday present...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
...should I get him the Gamecube dev cartridge he's been interested in or should I just get him a PSP and turn him on to the next generation?

Thoughts? :|

What's a GC dev cartridge?

Kids that age love portable games, but I sure wouldn't let him take that $250 PSP to school with him. :p

digitalwanderer said:
...should I get him the Gamecube dev cartridge he's been interested in or should I just get him a PSP and turn him on to the next generation?

Get him some nice sports equipment and let him go out develop some healthy living habits instead of becoming a pale pimply-faced PC-freak? (I'm serious) :!:

John Reynolds said:
What's a GC dev cartridge?
A programmable gameboy cartridge that you can upload game images to from your PC. It'll let me put all of his cartridges onto one cartridge and then he'll be able to choose from the various games via a menu that will come on when he powers up.

Kids that age love portable games, but I sure wouldn't let him take that $250 PSP to school with him. :p
He wouldn't, never ever.

_xxx_ said:
Get him some nice sports equipment and let him go out develop some healthy living habits instead of becoming a pale pimply-faced PC-freak? (I'm serious) :!:
That's what the Bowflex & Stairmaster are for, I want to get him something fun he'd like.

Sounds like he's already on the road to becoming a geek-ball like his dad (hehe), so I'd go for something that isn't indoors. He's not old enough for paintball yet (he will shoot you in the nutz), but something outdoor related might be better (as _xxx_ suggested). :p

Hmmm, outdoor stuff....sounds suspiciously like work for me to me. :?

BTW, my son will be 8 and I'm starting to really like the idea of getting him a PSP. :)

Give him a pair of speedos and have him join the swim team - that's what I did around his age. :) Very good for the physique, plus swim training pays off if there should be some water-related emergency in his life.

Guden Oden said:
Give him a pair of speedos and have him join the swim team - that's what I did around his age. :) Very good for the physique, plus swim training pays off if there should be some water-related emergency in his life.

what like a burst pipe?

_xxx_ said:
digitalwanderer said:

bingo...

a nice soccer ball.

coachingcards_1828_528624.jpg

CosmicFinalLRG.jpg

An Xbox360 pre-order.

It will buy you time and make him happy. And you'll be able to merge this and the Xmas present into one! DEAL!!! :devilish:

A PSP and a FOOTball (as in a ball that is round that you hit with your football), if he joins he a team he gets a PSP game. Sport is important around that age, get him into it and over the next few years it will help him socially, by the time he's in his teens he should be pretty healthy and confident too. Worked for me. I was a total shy podgy kid, but by playing sport crap loads i turned that around

Why won't you let your kid choose what he wants? :) That way there won't be any disappointments. If not, I'd go for the PSP.

worm[Futuremark said:
]Why won't you let your kid choose what he wants? :)
Because 99 times out of 100, if you give a kid the choice between sitting around the house playing a PSP or going outside and kick around a football it'll pick the PSP. Same as kids prefer snicker bars over peas and carrots, whilst nobody ever became obese and got rotten teeth from a diet on peas and carrots.

Sometimes you have to make an active choice for kids. :D The human body is designed to be in motion much of the day, it's when it isn't that it starts breaking down. This is particulary true for kids, if they don't build bone and muscle early it can stunt their physical development for life.

^^^ Second that.

EDIT:
But I think he's talking about a choice between Nintendo and PSP, not the sports thingy.

Hey Worm! Two reasons I don't let him choose:

1. I like surprising him on his birthday.

2. He'd pick both. :rolleyes:

I'm going for the PSP right now and a new bike, I figure it'll balance things. :)

Balance rocks! :D

I'd like to have twins as girlfriend(s), that would balance the question of being above or below. A permanent sandwich...yummy.

_xxx_ said:
Balance rocks! :D

I'd like to have twins as girlfriend(s), that would balance the question of being above or below. A permanent sandwich...yummy.

Haw, some hot twins live over the road from me, I had 4 friends round the other night and when the twins were getting at a taxi they were all stood at my window watching. Whats worse is they do that sexy dancing thing...

Anything from London? Really, u name it, i send it. Least i can do :D

(hey don't go crazy on me though, quite limited budget here)

Back