My quantum display.

nelg

Veteran
Ok, I will have to wait a few years but it is really cool.

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=16830&ch=nanotech

At its heart are nanoparticles called quantum dots, nanoscale semiconductor crystals. By altering the size of the particles, researchers can change the color they emit: for example, a six-nanometer-diameter particle would glow red, while another of the same material but only two nanometers wide would glow blue.

Where these particles really shine is in the purity of the colors they emit. Displays create millions of colors from a palette of just three: each pixel is made of a red, a green, and a blue subpixel, and varying their relative intensities varies the pixel's apparent color. In LCDs and organic light-emitting devices (OLEDs), a new kind of display, the subpixel colors are impure. The red, for example, while made mostly of red light, also contains smaller amounts of other colors. With quantum dots, however, the red subpixel emits only red.

Hi Nelg,

Great catch! This looks like it's got a lot of potential. Lets hope we see displays based on this technique in a couple of years. :)

Nite_Hawk

:oops: Bad ass! Imagine the pixel density you can achieve when your picture elements are comprised of less than a dozen sub-atomic particles! :oops:

Fillrate may not be king, but we're gonna need a HUGE PILE more to run my 4,294,967,296 x 3,221,225,472 resolution 19" monitor :cool:

Albuquerque said:
Fillrate may not be king, but we're gonna need a HUGE PILE more to run my 4,294,967,296 x 3,221,225,472 resolution 19" monitor :cool:

It will also require a new form of AA. Added aliasing!

I can't reach the article.
LEDs use some quantum effect to convert electricity into light. are those quantum dots nanoscale LEDs? or does it compare to a laser.

Back