So now we have effective 4k res TVs

Tahir2

Veteran
Supporter
http://www.johnlewis.com/sharp-aquo...3_1395603679_57f6c3a37f51e953661703460550ca17

There’s no going back once you’ve experienced the detail of AQUOS Quattron Pro technology. Sharp’s LC60UQ10 television combines 2.5 times the image quality of Full HD, 4K Ultra HD compatibility, 3D and smart apps to make a complete media system that's ready for the future. Built in upscaling pushes your traditional media and with a powerful integrated subwoofer, your sound gets a boost too.
Beyond Full HD…
Full HD X-GEN panel with AQUOS Quattron Pro technology delivers detail beyond Full HD. Thanks to its subpixel management technology, it can display effectively 4K resolution. Quattron Pro plays native Ultra HD (4K) content through HDMI and upscales lower resolution content up to 4K too.

What the heck does that mean? It does some sort of upscaling via sub-pixels but it has only 2k worth of actual pixels.

So we have an individual pixel that is further sub-divided into its individual colours - RGBY (Quattraon technology - Sharp uses yellow for better accuracy) but they added a '+' to that and Revelation (TM) scaling:

Old fashioned 1080p
r / g / b / (y) - normal pixel on native 1080p panel with 6 (8) million sub pixels.

So what does this new Sharp TV do with its fancy schmanzy Q+ technology with Revelation (TM) scaling?

New 1080p effective 4k!
rrrr / gggg / bbbb / yyyy - giving it 16 million sub pixels.

Which then are displaying in a pixel of the size of a normal 1080p pixel... :???:

I think maybe I am missing something - is this marketing gimmicks and shens or is Sharp onto something?

sounds like normal marketing speak known in the real world as lies.

Adding another colour and claiming its the same as another pixel is deceitful
actually also the colour depth they claim is also highly suspect, theyve just gone 256x256x256x256
which looks correct on paper but if you take away the colours the yellow can do that the rgb on thier own can do I wonder how many colours it actually adds if any

Back