Must a Xbox360 game work without a hdd?

MistaPi

Regular
I'm a little confused. I believe Premier Manager 2006 require a harddrive and on Xbox.com it says:

While most games do not require the use of the hard drive to work, many harness its streaming capabilities and data-caching features to improve performance. In other words, your games play smoother, often with shorter load times.

But then some developers complains about how they can't be reliant on a harddrive. Like how Uncharted would be very difficult on Xbox360 because they have to make it work without a harddrive.

Not every Xbox 360 ships with a hard drive, there in lies the developer comment as they can't be reliant on the hard drive (sorta). They can of course make it a requirement but then they must be aware of the smaller install base.

It's not mandated by Microsoft, but developers/publishers should (naturally) consider any potential sales loss due to making it a requirement to play the game.

What is the relevant hdd install base though?? Wouldnt it be safe to assume that approx. 95% of users have the hdd with their 360 (if not more). I can readily see games being hdd mandatory in the future (as I believe one already is).

What is the relevant hdd install base though?? Wouldnt it be safe to assume that approx. 95% of users have the hdd with their 360 (if not more). I can readily see games being hdd mandatory in the future (as I believe one already is).

The only official authorisation for HDD requirement, now, is for MMO…

I am quite sure I saw a football (soccer) manager game for the 360 that showed HDD as a requirment to play on the box.

Indeed, Footy Manager 07 did and 08 will as well. I seem to recall reading that the forthcoming FPS Borderlands will require it as well.

Last time I heard the ratio was about 80:20 to hdd/non-hdd equipped 360's.

It's not mandated by Microsoft, but developers/publishers should (naturally) consider any potential sales loss due to making it a requirement to play the game.

I believe it is mostly mandated by MS that games run without the HDD. I remember a Shane Kim interview mentioned GTA4, and the supposed rumors it was HDD only, and he said MS would "push back" if Take Two attempted that.

MS doesn't want their star system selling titles to require a Hard Drive. It would ruin the business model as the Core/Arcade wouldn't be able to play them, forcing up the effective price of entry.

Back