Musk bought Twitter, what hasn't gone wrong?

A non-paywalled article with the email / memo --

Team,
In an effort to place Twitter on a healthy path, we will go through the difficult process of reducing our global workforce on Friday. We recognize that this will impact a number of individuals who have made valuable contributions to Twitter, but this action is unfortunately necessary to ensure the company's success moving forward.
Given the nature of our distributed workforce and our desire to inform impacted individuals as quickly as possible, communications for this process will take place via email. By 9AM PST on Friday Nov. 4th, everyone will receive an individual email with the subject line: Your Role at Twitter. Please check your email, including your spam folder.
If your employment is not impacted, you will receive a notification via your Twitter email.
If your employment is impacted, you will receive a notification with next steps via your personal email.
If you do not receive an email from twitter-hr@ by 5PM PST on Friday Nov. 4th, please email xxxxxxxx.
To help ensure the safety of each employee as well as Twitter systems and customer data, our offices will be temporarily closed and all badge access will be suspended. If you are in an office or on your way to an office, please return home.
We acknowledge this is an incredibly challenging experience to go through, whether or not you are impacted. Thank you for continuing to adhere to Twitter policies that prohibit you from discussing confidential company information on social media, with the press or elsewhere.
We are grateful for your contributions to Twitter and for your patience as we move through this process.
Thank you.
Twitter

To help ensure the safety of each employee as well as Twitter systems and customer data, our offices will be temporarily closed and all badge access will be suspended. If you are in an office or on your way to an office, please return home.
OMG. :|

We acknowledge this is an incredibly challenging experience to go through, whether or not you are impacted. Thank you for continuing to adhere to Twitter policies that prohibit you from discussing confidential company information on social media, with the press or elsewhere.
Yeah, I'm sure all those people he lets go aren't going to say anything about their experiences. I mean he said thank you and everything!

You do sort of sense that Musk is going to spend much of the rest of his life finding new and creative ways to be a dick.

I suspect his takeover of twitter and the layoffs will ensure that moderation is all but impossible and will destroy the value of the company as advertising revenue disappears but he's pinned himself into a corner with his shit-stirring comments when trying to bully the price downwards.

Ultimately, he's wealthy enough to shrug that off without blinking and it's then just a matter of what dumb shit he'll end up doing next and whether or not he can get away with it again.

Nowadays, The onion could become bankrupt

Partly because most of those articles seem like fiction too just to capitalize on the histeria. Tabloid jornalism will go bankrupt too at this pace. I hope as time goes on we can have more substantial info of whats actually going down there, but this shit is just noise right now.

I also love to hate on billionaires, but when the shots are that cheap, the joke is on us rather than them.

Earlier in the year Musk said his layoff wouldn't be 75% of the company (7400 people total).

Ars article indicates the layoff is 50% or slightly more at 3700 people. Musk is also eliminating Work From Home capabilities, that impacts at least 1500 people. I doubt any of the WFH want to go into an office to work for him. So 3700+1500 gets Musk to 70% work positions eliminated. All he needs is another 370 people to leave on their own from the resulting low morale and he has his 75% job cuts.

Axing half your workforce? Trying to force out half of the remaining people? Folks, I'm afraid to say it but I think we could possibly live to see a day where there is no more Twitter...and what will we do then?!?

Advertisers helping to burn it to the ground by pulling out of the cluster fucks...

Twitter has had a massive drop in revenue, due to activist groups pressuring advertisers, even though nothing has changed with content moderation and we did everything we could to appease the activists.

Extremely messed up! They’re trying to destroy free speech in America.

I thought he was getting rid of the moderation team entirely and replacing it with his "council of moderation" that will decide all most fairly and justly!

Back