Multiplatform Assassin's Creed--si or no?

Yep, they share the same theory I do, I guess it's not so crazy after all:

Sony paid for the exclusive rights to announce Assassin's Creed as a PS3 game : This option seems like the most likely, because it directly affords the publisher, Ubisoft, a tremendous negotiating advantage. Ubisoft has intended Assassin's Creed to be a multiplatform title, but by selling the rights to simply announce the game a company like Sony would reap the positive press from the admittedly impressive title.

It's pretty much known to be multiplatform, the only question mark is when it will be. From day one, or later.

If I were Sony I would lock this up for 6months, it could go a long way in making the PS3 stand out. I don't think there'll be anything like this on the market.

You know the funny thing, even if they lock it up for 6 months, that will be money down the drain. Assuming it comes out in January, that would push the 360 launch out to June/July typically a dry period and would still sell well on 360 when in the meantime 360 will be getting a good flood of quality games this fall/winter that might otherwise draw attention away from Assasins Creed on 360. hmm. My take anyway. :D

Not really telling us we didnt already know in the article. I guess it was just stating it for those who were absent during the last month?

TheChefO said:
You know the funny thing, even if they lock it up for 6 months, that will be money down the drain. Assuming it comes out in January, that would push the 360 launch out to June/July typically a dry period and would still sell well on 360 when in the meantime 360 will be getting a good flood of quality games this fall/winter that might otherwise draw attention away from Assasins Creed on 360. hmm. My take anyway. :D

it's scheduled for March/07 according to the leaked memo. That would put the 360 version in sept.

scooby_dooby said:
it's scheduled for March/07 according to the leaked memo. That would put the 360 version in sept.

Ouch!? I thought orginally they were planning a launch this year and then it got pushed to January ish? Oh well, September is good timing as well though. If the game is as good as advertised it should still sell well in a packed fall 2007. Look at ps2 re4 sales ...

TheChefO said:
Ouch!? I thought orginally they were planning a launch this year and then it got pushed to January ish? Oh well, September is good timing as well though. If the game is as good as advertised it should still sell well in a packed fall 2007. Look at ps2 re4 sales ...

I think Sony's main problem is one of perception. They must be percieved as the superior machine, otherwise they will have a very hard time selling at their pricepoint when 360 is $299 for the base model.

I think having assassin's creed as an exclusive could go along way to creating that perception, even if it is only a 6 months period, it will help set the initial opinion of consumers about the capabilities of the machine.

I don't see it happening though, they would've announced it already.

scooby_dooby said:
I think Sony's main problem is one of perception. They must be percieved as the superior machine, otherwise they will have a very hard time selling at their pricepoint when 360 is $299 for the base model.

I think having assassin's creed as an exclusive could go along way to creating that perception, even if it is only a 6 months period, it will help set the initial opinion of consumers about the capabilities of the machine.

I don't see it happening though, they would've announced it already.

Agreed 100% - Sony needs this exclusive a lot more than MS at this point.

For wii too, interesting, assuming it is true/can run etc... it will be interesting to see how it plays, I can think in some nice ways...

On 2nd thought I wonder if Ubi is having the same problems EA is porting engines between the ps3 and 360. Either way I don;t see Ubi benefitting from a 6 month ps3 exclusive. The ps3 install base will most likely be considerable smaller in March 2007 and six months later many 360 gamers might consider this game 'old hat'. Although if the game lives up to the hype it will still sell well regardless. But if its another Prince Of Persia it will be forgotten.

Seems ubi would make more money by having it in reverse, a 6 month xbox360 exclusive and allowing the ps3 base to grow.

Pozer said:
On 2nd thought I wonder if Ubi is having the same problems EA is porting engines between the ps3 and 360.

I seriously doubt that, as AC is an Unreal Engine game.

Either way I don;t see Ubi benefitting from a 6 month ps3 exclusive. The ps3 install base will most likely be considerable smaller in March 2007 and six months later many 360 gamers might consider this game 'old hat'. Although if the game lives up to the hype it will still sell well regardless. But if its another Prince Of Persia it will be forgotten.

There's plenty of reasons why Ubi could benefit. The hype, for one. The development process, for another (a game like AC does in fact get really large, so the 360 version will need some extra work to get it to fit).

Seems ubi would make more money by having it in reverse, a 6 month xbox360 exclusive and allowing the ps3 base to grow.

Ubi needs the PS3 base to grow. I personally think it is in most developers interest to have the PS3 and 360 succeed both.

Pozer said:
.. The ps3 install base will most likely be considerable smaller in March 2007 and six months later many 360 gamers might consider this game 'old hat'. Although if the game lives up to the hype it will still sell well regardless. But if its another Prince Of Persia it will be forgotten...

Whats wrong with another PoP?? I pay for all 3 games in its 1080p glory!!

It's no different than Fight Night 3, which was "presented" but never confirmed as an exclusive at Sony's 2005 E3 press conference, but then appeared this year on the 360.

Back