Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
MSI-CLAW-CHINA.jpg

IiiGiYB.png

XSFBf85.png

vSNFC6c.jpg

Last edited:
You can't use the touch screen as track pad?

It's not completely interchangeable.

Like the above poster though there is personnel bias here as well in terms of what I'm used to and the types of games I tend to want to play away from the desk. Civilization with native touch controls is like an ideal on the go game for me. I remember when the original Surface Pro came out and MS was show casing Civ 5 with touch controls I was tempted but the price and design/form limitations ultimately didn't go with it (gaming on the go isn't really novel, even if it's a resurgence in interest now).

I don't think it's essential either but just even having one is a big plus feature in my opinion.

In terms of the SoC, it's interesting from a technical interest stand point in that the Claw is unique but again personally in terms of usage I don't find the SoCs all that interesting. But again I just want extremely light gaming on the go and would use streaming for anything remotely heavy. So ideally, I posted elsewhere before, these SoCs are all overkill performance to me (or not fast enough) and would I love the cheapest, lowest energy, and passive SoC capable. Bring back the <5w x86 Atoms in something like this with the best display possible I say.

I guess ideally what I really want is a 16:10 (or maybe slightly more square) 8inch class size tablet with attachable controllers, but thinner and passively cooled unlike the Legion Go. The Lenovo y700 is also close, but not x86 and no real controller option (the phone ones don't fit without major literal physical hacks), and more importantly not globally released officially (why?).

Last edited:
I mean literally using the touch screen as track pad. To control a mouse cursor.

Like in chrome remote desktop and Microsoft remote desktop app on Android and ios.

It's not completely interchangeable. Would you say a touch screen laptop doesn't benefit from a touchpad or mouse?

For instance the form factor isn't really optimal for it. You wouldn't be able to use the touchscreen unless you momentarily let go of either the left or right controls (or maybe if you absolutely huge hands?). Your finger covers also a large ratio of the screen and doesn't quite have the precision especially given the games are not likely designed for those type of controls. If you've tried playing say ported games on your phone you might get what I'm saying here to some extent.

Keep in mind I'm not asking for it just to navigate the OS to launch games or adjust OS settings.

ideally, in a few years from now,whenever I get a new PC, my only doubt is whether to go with a traditional desktop PC or something more like an Intel NUC PC, or basically a mini PC.

And this is a great start to know where things are heading.

I still prefer the "oomph" of a traditional desktop PC, fortunately there are high quality mini-ITX designs from case and motherboard manfuacturers now. You can cram a LOT of PC into a relatively tiny and attractive ~15L case. It's not so small as a NUC or a truly mini-PC, however several of the case designs are inconspicuous enough (read: no RGB LED orgy) to easily park next to or inside of a proper home entertainment cabinet.

Or, if you're not going to die from another few milliseconds of input latency, Steam's inbuilt streaming ability works really well in my opinion. Most of my Steam Deck's life is spent on the dock under the TV downstairs, equipped with good quality wireless Logi mouse (G903) and keyboard (G915), streaming from the BigAss Gaming Rig (5950x, 4090Ti , 64GB DDR4-3600 CL14 1:1/ 2x2TB Sammy 980Pro) upstairs in my office. I only wish the Steam Deck could stream in HDR format, although I believe I've read it's coming to beta... Anyway, you could absolutely use a low-cost NUC to do the same thing.

Back