MS only to ship 4.5-5.5 million by June 2006

Only? Well it's not that bad heh. However, they need to sell around these numbers. Below would be disappointing.

msia2k75 said:
Only? Well it's not that bad heh. However, they need to sell around these numbers. Below would be disappointing.

For a $400 console it's very impressive. If you take a look at the PS2 launch sales, they were roughly the same. It's not until price-drops that the mainstream start buying a console anyway.

Hardknock said:
If you take a look at the PS2 launch sales, they were roughly the same. It's not until price-drops that the mainstream start buying a console anyway.

Actually, no. If you start counting from the end of 2000 - and we should, to be fair, because it was only then that PS2 was available in all 3 territories - from that time, Dec 31 2000 to June 30 2001, Sony shipped 8.55m units. If you count from the European launch, to be more precise, the figure would be well over 10m (the overall total at that point was circa 15m, but I'm obviously excluding sales prior to the last european launch to come to the >10m figure, to try and normalise the comparison with x360's 3-territory expectations).

Last edited by a moderator:
3roxor said:
I wonder how long it will take for the PS3 to be the best selling next-gen console.
LOL, you say that like it's a foregone conclusion.

Whichever console becomes "best-selling" will depend on the game libraries, like it always has in the past.

4.5-5.5 is pretty damn good for June I think. Puts them on track for 9 or 10million by years end with production in full swing. 10million by the end of 2006 has been their goal from the very beginning.

3roxor said:
I wonder how long it will take for the PS3 to be the best selling next-gen console.

Month-to-month or total install base?

If we were to look at Sony's PS2 figures as a guide, and scale MS's projections linearly, it should start passing out in mid to late 07 in terms of total userbase ;) Not very reliable, but heh, what answer to this question can be? :D

Titanio said:
Actually, no. If you start counting from the end of 2000 - and we should, to be fair, because it was only then that PS2 was available in all 3 territories.
Why only count from all territories? If Sony had released to all territories they would have sold no more than they sold in Japan, because that's as many as they could make. By the time you wait a year for worldwide release, production capabilities have improved. Sales of consoles are sales of consoles, starting from when the console is released, even if only release in Azerbaijan.

5/6 million sounds pretty good for new tech IMO.

Halo 3 with a big budget movie tie-in throws a monkey wrench into past statistics and trends imho. Microsoft has marketed the Halo franchies really well, and I'm sure that will continue.

Shifty Geezer said:
Why only count from all territories?

Because it's well over 3 times the market as in Japan-only...?

Shifty Geezer said:
By the time you wait a year for worldwide release, production capabilities have improved.

It wasn't quite a year, and I think the impact of this is much less significant than that of having 3 territories to sell in vs 1.

I'm not claiming it's a perfect comparison, but it's as normalised as we can get I think.

This is all PR. They give a low estimate now so come June they can have a press release stating "xbox 360 doubles forcasts". It builds good press in the future. It a PR interest bearing bank account. It will create free advertisement and make the x360 seem like the hot summer item.

The actuall number will be higher. Mark my words. It's pr bs.

The x360 will have a good launch. They don't have a killer app game but neither did the ps2. They need one before the ps3 launches to win next gen.

Titanio said:
Because it's well over 3 times the market as in Japan-only...?

I'm not claiming it's a perfect comparison, but it's as normalised as we can get I think.
I don't understand. A company invents a console, manufactures and sells it. The manufacture n million in a given timeframe. Sony made...what...3-4 million PS2's in 6 months? I've no idea what the figure is. MS are hoping to make 4-5 million. Whether those consoles are shipped all around the world or piled up in a warehouse, that's still the number they make, and MS seem to be heading for about the same amount made as PS2. They're just spreading them a deal thinner.

Shifty Geezer said:
I don't understand. A company invents a console, manufactures and sells it. The manufacture n million in a given timeframe. Sony made...what...3-4 million PS2's in 6 months? I've no idea what the figure is. MS are hoping to make 4-5 million. Whether those consoles are shipped all around the world or piled up in a warehouse, that's still the number they make, and MS seem to be heading for about the same amount made as PS2. They're just spreading them a deal thinner.

I would tend to agree, supply in the first 6 months is largely limited by how many you can make not how many you can sell.

Pozer said:
This is all PR. They give a low estimate now so come June they can have a press release stating "xbox 360 doubles forcasts". It builds good press in the future. It a PR interest bearing bank account. It will create free advertisement and make the x360 seem like the hot summer item.

The actuall number will be higher. Mark my words. It's pr bs.

The x360 will have a good launch. They don't have a killer app game but neither did the ps2. They need one before the ps3 launches to win next gen.

Good point.

Titanio said:
It wasn't quite a year, and I think the impact of this is much less significant than that of having 3 territories to sell in vs 1.

And that is the flaw in your thinking.

The first 6 months the PS2 was out it suffered from major supply problems. If they had released world-wide simultaneously like MS did, they wouldn't have been able to produce any more consoles than they did. The only difference would have been them shipping fewer consoles to each reason.

Your little idea is flawed because you are making the incorrect assumption that these numbers are low, and that they are only what MS wants to ship, rather than the limits of what MS is capable of producing. Sony won't ship this many consoles this fast when they launch because they can't produce more than this either. One region or all 3 is irrelevent, this is all they can produce.

If anything, Sony will ship fewer PS3's in the same amount of time because they are likely to have more production problems than MS.

Shifty Geezer said:

Will you make the same for three markets as you would for one, though? I don't think you're guaranteed to sell everything you manufacture, by the way, beyond the first couple of million (or even up to that point!).

I'll get picked up on this, so before I say it I'll state that I'm GUESSING here, but I think it's very possible X360 is easier to manufacture than PS2 was starting out, which might offset your point a little about manufacturability at launch vs 9 months later etc.

Powderkeg said:
And that is the flaw in your thinking.

The first 6 months the PS2 was out it suffered from major supply problems. If they had released world-wide simultaneously like MS did, they wouldn't have been able to produce any more consoles than they did. The only difference would have been them shipping fewer consoles to each reason.

Your little idea is flawed because you are making the incorrect assumption that these numbers are low, and that they are only what MS wants to ship, rather than the limits of what MS is capable of producing. Sony won't ship this many consoles this fast when they launch because they can't produce more than this either. One region or all 3 is irrelevent, this is all they can produce.

If anything, Sony will ship fewer PS3's in the same amount of time because they are likely to have more production problems than MS.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think your market size is at least as big a point here as your supply. If MS restricted themselves to one market - say Japan, or even their strongest, the US - I don't think they'd sell that many systems, or ship that many even. So if you don't think you can make the comparison my way, I certainly don't think you can make it the other way (comparing to only Japanese numbers for PS2's first 6 months).

Pozer said:
They need one before the ps3 launches to win next gen.
Only ONE to secure the entire next gen? Whoah, sony might as well pack up and go home then!

[Tarkin]"I think you overestimate their chances!"[/Tarkin]

Back