MS ensures this gen and next gen dominance

What if I told you in Brazil people call pie charts "gráfico de pizza" or "pizza chart"!!
How about that huh?

What if I told you in Brazil people call pie charts "gráfico de pizza" or "pizza chart"!!
How about that huh?

Well, if someone is showing me a pie chart, I'm likely to be bored. Thinking of pizza will probably make me happier, so that's ok.

That's perfectly acceptable because both pies and pizza are segmented in the same way. As a means for disseminating statistical data in a human-friendly form, pie or pizza can be used (as could cake or a traditionally round desert like cheesecake or lemon meringue tart).

In terms of taxonomy of a food name, a pizza is by tradition a flat piece of bread with a topping, whereas a pie is a pastry crust-forming base and walls containing a filling, which may or may not be topped with a lattice or pastry lid. Even a deep-pan pizza with filling in a bread container wouldn't be a pie by that definition as the container is bread, not pastry.

There's no reason to confuse the terms, which sadly has happened as poor education left the masses to try and find a suitable description without due understanding of existing terms. Pizza is perfectly adequate and unambiguous. Pizza pie is an unnecessary complication that just adds confusion.

As ever though, despite B3D's capacity to identify and correct all English faux pas, no-one's going to pay any attention to us and people will foolishly continue with their cultural heritage and mislabelling things. *sigh*

I'm surprised calzones/stromboli and twinkies haven't been added to the discussion.

Speaking of Calzone, we used to have this place called Mamma Mia's locally.

They had the best Zones after which we'd often go see a movie but there was a problem. They had an undesired chemical reaction when mixed with Bux (starbucks) so it became the ultimate challenge.

Zone/Bux/Movie combo without having to shit your pants was outright impossible.

I presume the option would appear in the in-game menu, suggesting perhaps they developed a plugin for that kind of thing? It makes sense - it is the only part of the OS that was still ad-free, right? :p

I downloaded the app & played around with it last night. It's not a plug-in & doesn't run in the Xbox Guide. It's basically a separate app just like Netflix, Internet Explorer, etc. Probably not much different than a mobile app from what I could see. You can link your Pizza Hut account info with it & has the ability to search local stores near your address to order from. Has a way to make your own pizza, but didn't get a chance to play with that part. It does have a list of specials according to the store selected & it will give you a 15% discount on your order from the Xbox. I compared the deals with the web site in my area & the 360 app had less Deals to pick from than the web site. Kind of neat, but until you can access it while in-game/app etc I wouldn't see a lot people using it. For me it would quicker just to use my laptop instead. However, I will try to do one order with it since 15% discount in addition to their deals is pretty good.

Tommy McClain

I downloaded the app & played around with it last night. It's not a plug-in & doesn't run in the Xbox Guide. It's basically a separate app just like Netflix, Internet Explorer, etc. Probably not much different than a mobile app from what I could see. You can link your Pizza Hut account info with it & has the ability to search local stores near your address to order from. Has a way to make your own pizza, but didn't get a chance to play with that part. It does have a list of specials according to the store selected & it will give you a 15% discount on your order from the Xbox. I compared the deals with the web site in my area & the 360 app had less Deals to pick from than the web site. Kind of neat, but until you can access it while in-game/app etc I wouldn't see a lot people using it. For me it would quicker just to use my laptop instead. However, I will try to do one order with it since 15% discount in addition to their deals is pretty good.

Tommy McClain

Don't do it! You're robbing your taste buds of their dignity!

Don't do it! You're robbing your taste buds of their dignity!

Ha! I'm poor & love all kinds of junk food. My taste buds gave up their dignity a long time ago. Also, remember I worked there in college. So I don't think I could ever quit eating their pizza. ;)

Tommy McClain

Ever heard of sweet potato or pumpkin pie? There are a ton of pies that have no crust covering.

It's a baked dish with a pastry base, so pizzas fall rather conveniently under the definition of pie.

Sweet potato and pumpkin pie are horrible.

If MS really wanted to ensure dominance it would offer a ramen noodle ordering app. Getting 50 packs of ramen noodles delivered to your dorm room for 600 MS points, would go a long way with the 18-24 crowd.

$80 dollars would get you a new game and two weeks worth of food and all of it serviced by your xbox.

That's perfectly acceptable because both pies and pizza are segmented in the same way. As a means for disseminating statistical data in a human-friendly form, pie or pizza can be used (as could cake or a traditionally round desert like cheesecake or lemon meringue tart).

In terms of taxonomy of a food name, a pizza is by tradition a flat piece of bread with a topping, whereas a pie is a pastry crust-forming base and walls containing a filling, which may or may not be topped with a lattice or pastry lid. Even a deep-pan pizza with filling in a bread container wouldn't be a pie by that definition as the container is bread, not pastry.

There's no reason to confuse the terms, which sadly has happened as poor education left the masses to try and find a suitable description without due understanding of existing terms. Pizza is perfectly adequate and unambiguous. Pizza pie is an unnecessary complication that just adds confusion.

As ever though, despite B3D's capacity to identify and correct all English faux pas, no-one's going to pay any attention to us and people will foolishly continue with their cultural heritage and mislabelling things. *sigh*

Except that in the US, the term "pie" referring to what is now known as pizza (with the tomato sauce base) predated the use of the word pizza in referring to the same.

It should also be noted that in the US you never refer to pizza "bread" it's always referred to as pizza "crust." Even people that don't use the word pie to describe a pizza still refer to pizza crust versus pizza bread. It's a remnant of the time when everyone in the US referred to Pizza as Pies.

It wasn't until relatively recently (during the 1900's) that Pizza replaced Pie as the name used. And that mainly due to...Pizza Hut. In bring pizza to the masses outside of the NE states (and Chicago and Philly) they also spread the useage of the word Pizza over the word Pie which was used predominantly in the aforementioned areas. Hence, people that never knew about these "pies" now knew of them but only via the name pizza. Meanwhile many people from the states in the US where the food item originated still refer to it by the name that was used historically to refer to that food item.

It also should be noted that it was immigrant Italians themselves who named them pies.

There was a documentary on the Discovery Channel that went in depth of the evolution of Pizza in the US. Very fascinating stuff.

As much as people here seem to like to malign Pizza Hut. If not for them, pizza likely wouldn't be nearly as popular as a food item in the US as it now is.

Regards,
SB

Any pizza that's delivered is always shit. They use the worst low-grade oily cheese and the sauce is almost ketchup. The only way to eat it is to find a real sit-down pizza place that isn't catering to five-year-old children. So, not Pizza Hut.

Less than a block from my house is a New York style pizza place and it's effin awesome.

:devilish::devilish:

I'd rather see an app that lets you order Chinese food while playing instead...

+1 They need an app that works all kinds of restaurants. Unfortunately, I looked online & none of them deliver to backwoods Arkansas even though we have dozens of restaurants that do. :(

Tommy McClain

Back