MS ensures this gen and next gen dominance

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Start shorting Nintendo and Sony as soon as you can.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/04/22/pizza-hut-xbox-gamers-console/2097417/

0wA9fRR.jpg

Call it the ultimate multi-task for any Millennial: order a pizza and play a video game – essentially at the same time.

On Tuesday, Pizza Hut and Xbox Live maker Microsoft will announce plans to introduce a game-changing ordering app that allows gamers to purchase physical goods – in this case, anything on the Pizza Hut menu – right from the gaming counsel.

Just pause the game, and order.

For Pizza Hut, it's about reaching out to its hard-to-reach target – young men 18 to 24 – where they live and play. For Microsoft, it's a nifty way of cosmically expanding the virtual world into something far closer to the real world. And for consumers, well, we'll just have to wait and see how folks respond.

One expert thinks it could be huge.

"The very last thing a kid wants to do is look for a phone to order a pizza," says John Engates, chief technology officer at Rackspace, a cloud technology provider. Now, he says, "the Xbox is no longer just a place to just play games. "

Even cooler: the free app isn't limited to operating via game controllers. It also can operate via Xbox Kinect hand motions and even voice commands.

"For the first time, people can order something through their Xbox that's tangible," says Kurt Kane, chief marketing office at Pizza Hut. "It brings the intersection of gaming and real world products together."

Through May 6, folks who order via their downloadable app will receive a 15% discount.

For Pizza Hut, the growth in digital ordering has exploded since 1994, when it was first sold online. Currently, 25% of all orders are digital, says Kane. Within five years, he projects, it will be 50%.

Today's families, says Kane, "gather around their gaming consoles as much as they gather around their dinner tables."

Digital ordering can save consumers time — by eliminating the need for a phone call. And it can save retailers money — by reducing the need to staff the phones. Digital orders also tend to increase order accuracy.

There is some irony. Gamers often turn to food, like pizza, to amass the energy to keep playing. Now, they won't even have to exert much extra energy to get the grub.

Microsoft worked months on developing the app, says Ross Honey, general manager of Xbox Advertising. The move, he says, will "further transform what can be done through the gaming industry."

And maybe more.

"What they're doing is bringing more commerce to the Xbox platform," says Engates. "That's pretty cool. You're meeting your customer right where they are."

At the corner of pizza and play.

END GAME:

The app will feature Facebook integration. After submitting an order, users can share their choice with friends via Facebook.

The 360 doesn't support multitasking, though. The release makes it sound like you can order in game, but I'll be curious to see if that is true. If you have to quit out and launch another app you might as well use a phone.

That's a pretty good idea, whenever we had Halo LAN (system link) days we'd always have to scramble around for a laptop or a PC to order pizza.

The advent of smartphone pizza ordering apps made the whole process much easier, but I guess this has the advantage of everyone seeing what you're ordering, rather than having to relay your ordering decisions back to the group for feedback (No, get pepperoni instead of supreme! etc).

The 360 doesn't support multitasking, though. The release makes it sound like you can order in game, but I'll be curious to see if that is true. If you have to quit out and launch another app you might as well use a phone.

It wouldn't be possible with the 360 OS, you'd have to quit to run an app like this.

This is where Durango comes into it's own - and also why rumours of MS ditching the ARM based Xbox TV/Yuma in favour of a revised 360 Xbox Mini don't make sense - the Xbox Mini would also not be able to multitask unlike Durango and Yuma.

Everquest beat them to the punch years ago, you used to be able to order a pizza on the command line with /Pizza :)

Next gen you'd presumably also be able to order with the web browser while mutitasking on any Durango, PS2, Vita or WiiU. In a group setting it also doesn't seem desirable to stop the gaming completely when any one person with a phone can order the pizza instead. Just feels kinda like the Twitter and Facebook apps they made a big deal about, only to quietly remove them later because they were so useless. Maybe it would be more interesting if you could pay with your MS points or Xbox Live Gold members got an automatic discount (can Silver member even use the app?). Just seems like a /pizza style publicity stunt, and those are as old as MMORPGs.

I remember playing eq2 back in the day when my family was away and I was home from school. I had nothing to do from a Thursday to a Monday and that game allowed me to order pizza while on it. So I ordered 3 pies on Thursday and then another 3 on sat. It was a good weekend.

Now I'm old and I would not be able to eat 6 pies of pizza in the same amount of time. Let alone pizza hut quality. The grease would kill me.

. So I ordered 3 pies on Thursday and then another 3 on sat. It was a good weekend.

Now I'm old and I would not be able to eat 6 pies of pizza in the same amount of time.

Why do Americans refer to pizza as pizza pies? Pizza looks nothing like a pie, it has no covering crust etc and it's not like there's other things that 'pizza' by itself can refer to to necessitate that 'pie' added on as a qualifier.

Just seems like unneccessary (and strange) verbiage to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Tuesday, Pizza Hut and Xbox Live maker Microsoft will announce plans to introduce a game-changing ordering app that allows gamers to purchase physical goods – in this case, anything on the Pizza Hut menu – right from the gaming counsel.
The elite echelons of gaming wisdom come together to bake my pizza?

As for the idea, it's a good idea, but its not going to be ground-breaking. 1) It's US only. 2) People can already order fast food of any variety from various vendors from their mobile.

Why do Americans refer to pizza as pizza pies? Pizza looks nothing like a pie, it has to covering crust etc and it's not like there's other things that 'pizza' by itself can refer to to necessitate that 'pie' added on as a qualifier.

Looks like a pie to me, but you clearly never had Chicago Deep Dish before...

http://giordanos.com/
http://www.loumalnatis.com/
http://www.pizzeriaunochicago.com/

Personally I don't call them pies either, but I'm in Arkansas & grew up in Oklahoma. So, it's more of a Yankee thing. LOL

Tommy McClain

Why do Americans refer to pizza as pizza pies? Pizza looks nothing like a pie, it has to covering crust etc and it's not like there's other things that 'pizza' by itself can refer to to necessitate that 'pie' added on as a qualifier.

I think That's Amore, the song, helped to diffuse that expression.

i think the multitaskting they mean is that playing pizza hut app while ordering it to be delivered to your door :p

btw pizza hut is considered cheap food or expensive food on US/EU ?

I went to a new pizza place the other day and a guy sitting near me said something like, "This is a great pie." I wanted to strangle him to death.

btw pizza hut is considered cheap food or expensive food on US/EU ?

It's not expensive, but it's not the cheapest pizza either. Here's a bit of personal trivia: I used to work at Pizza Hut for about a year while I was in college. I was a cook & I gained so much weight! LOL It's still one of my favorite pizzas, but I like Papa Johns as much if not more. Unfortunately, I live in a small rural town & neither are close enough for delivery. BTW, we have a Papa Murphy's. They have been around awhile, but it's just now getting to our area. It's a "take & bake" pizza & they make these stuffed pizzas that look like pies with the extra layer of dough & toppings on top. I think I will finally have to try it out. ;)

Tommy McClain

In the UK, I've heard of Pizza Hut spoken of as a cheap brand. Pizza Express is the preferred eat-out pizza place, and Papa Johns and Dominoes and the like are preferred take out pizzas AFAIK. I'm not a big pizza eater - biggest rip-off take-away in the world, a bit of bread and cheese and charging as much as other more complex foods.

Back