Movie Reviews 2.0

SIDENOTE: It's consider rude as hell to use the word "retarded" to mean ignorant or foolish anymore. Retarded means mental retardation and is an actual medical condition that should not be mocked nor used to mock others.

SIDENOTE2: My daughter has been trying to beat that in to my head for more than a decade and a half now and I still have trouble with it, but I'm working on it.

I really liked Dogma and still do. It definitely helps if you have some interest in religion, certainly the hypocrisy of Christianity.

Black Adam.

I've seen some stupid movies in my time, and I'm not averse to a bit of stupid-but-fun. Holy crap this one takes the stupid crown by a country mile.

uh... why (almost) everyone is ridiculously stupid in black sazam? even the "heroes" are bafflingly stupid except for the gramps.

Okay, so there is significant chance your opinion is actually what is retarded here then...
I rewatched it: my summary and opinion stands.
If anything it was worse than I remembered.
I did stumble on a 'review' which was mostly a precis of the book its based on. As he presented it that book is a pretty smart & interesting story, just the movie bears minimal relationship to it.

I also rewatched Contact: generally as excellent as I remembered, though it desperately needs a 4k remaster.
With modern digital colour grading etc those panoramic shots of the dishes & the Machine would be right up there with anything in Arrival & the end sequence desperately needs a modern digital compositing pass, probably redone wormhole CGI too.
Would still have those nasty '90s beige box/CRTs though :-|

Nope was unexpectedly fun. Didn't really know anything about it, went in expecting some kind of alien invasion/kidnapping story
got totally unexpected Alien Air Jaws and that was cool 😊
At least, until it turned into some weird ribbony Ming the Merciless cape thing at the end which kinda lost me :nope:

Watching Amsterdam proved me it does not matter much how Margot Robbie is scripted to goof around the whole movie - I still happily see it all. But the movie is a mess - it seldom is a good sign to see relatively big names peppered into minor roles just for an impressive credits sequence.

I watched Avatar 2 today and it was great. Exceeded my expectations by a large margin. I thought the first one was goodish, but certainly not great. This fixed pretty much everything I had problem with the first one. Everything worked here. Visuals, characters, action and the story all delivered big as far as I'm concerned.

I watched it in 3D HFR as well, for me I felt I had more issues in the beginning, but my eyes got used to it along the way. The problem were and always are with 3D movies, the frigging subtitles we have. I really wish I could see the movie without them and perhaps with a good set of headphones. Every now and then there were scenes without talking and the image is so much nicer to look at when they are gone.

Last edited:
Ring of the Nibelungs (2004) is a film I guess fits the description you either hate it or enjoy it, but it did fit my niche well. It had a certain charm.

Back