Movie Reviews 2.0

Netflix's Spectral
Netflix's ARQ

The other weekend I watched a couple of Netflix Original movies. Both of them SciFi genre set in a dystopian future. Neither was extremely great but they were both solid and entertaining movies. If you have the time and want to scratch that itch, give them a try.

A few weeks ago I watched Only Yesterday, one of those sweet anime movies by Studio Ghibli that depict life in the beautiful Japanese countryside, as well as an inner travel (so to speak) to past times and memories. I really liked it, but I guess most people would find it boring.

A few weeks ago I watched Only Yesterday, one of those sweet anime movies by Studio Ghibli that depict life in the beautiful Japanese countryside, as well as an inner travel (so to speak) to past times and memories. I really liked it, but I guess most people would find it boring.

I've seen most of the Ghibli movies but I didn't like only yesterday. As you said I found it a bit boring.

Whispers of the heart is a somewhat similar movie that I liked a lot.

Completely different but the tale of princess kaguya is good too even though I guess a lot of people might be put off at first by the art style.

Thanks for your in-depth opinion.

Sometimes it's better not to waste any words.

Didn't see the movie yet but I read two articles about it today while on the train.

Seems that the usual happened whenever Hollywood remakes foreign films. The story is butchered, all the how's and why's are taken out and replaced with some action.

Seems the same happened with gits. Apparently even the director said it's all about the water scene, tank scene etc.

So maybe it works as an action flick but its probably shit if you're expecting a live action version of the anime.

I've seen most of the Ghibli movies but I didn't like only yesterday. As you said I found it a bit boring.

Whispers of the heart is a somewhat similar movie that I liked a lot.

Completely different but the tale of princess kaguya is good too even though I guess a lot of people might be put off at first by the art style.
The Tale of Princess Kaguya is a fucking masterpiece, including the OST (I will never forget the music for the procession of celestial beings). Funny thing, I think the art style is precisely one of the most attention drawing aspects of it.

Watches Rogue One and was pleasantly surprised.

After that turd they made out of the previous movie I didn't have high hopes but Rogue One is pretty good. Lots a action and a new'ish story. And no whiny ass kilo ren. Enjoyed watching it.

Accomplished the same feat yesterday. IMO the best SW movie ever in many ways. Although the uselessness of the stormtroopers' armor is getting more and more ridiculous. For what are they supposed to give protection - mosquitos?

So I went to see Power Rangers last night and I must say, it was much better than it should have been, by a mile. Really good movie. I didn't love a couple of things I won't spoil but I was very impressed.

I watched Life yesterday: It's pretty much Alien, except we're dealing with characters you do not give a rat's ass about. Their respective job descriptions are basically the extent of their characterizations. Except for Jake Gyllenhaal, who on top of being a physician also doesn't like Earth. It was beautifully made, lean, and quite tense, though.

I really enjoyed Life and was a bit more emotionally involved with the characters than you were. I do enjoy close quarters threat films, especially ones shot well, with a decent score. Great visual effects work too most of the time.

Worth a watch.

Maybe it's because I have one of those subscription cinema cards and can watch whatever I like, when I like, so it doesn't feel like I'm paying to watch films, but I throughly enjoyed F8.

It is completely ridiculous and over the top from the start, makes zero attempt to hide any of that, makes zero sense, and was clearly written to string a series of impressive visual set pieces together rather than offer up a cinematic masterpiece.

Buckets of (often hilarious) fun as a result. Also The Rock can turn my torpedo around with his bare hands if he wants. What a specimen.

Definitely watch cheaply though, either as a rental or a free ticket or whatever.

Last edited:
Seems like most of the people posting mini reviews here are going to theatrical airings, so right when these movies are on a first-run.

Some of us wait for the discs, which would be months later at the earliest.

Back