Movie Reviews 2.0

Just saw the movie Taken. I enjoyed it thoroughly at points just laughing out loud because it was just so awesome! Liam Neeson was just a badass no other word for it! Solid movie!

The Strangers - 3/10 Absolute piece of shit movie, with protagonists so insultingly stupid I was rooting for the killers by the halfway mark (if not sooner).

Burn After Reading - 6.5/10 Meandering Cohen fare, with an amusing performance by Pitt.

The Strangers - 3/10 Absolute piece of shit movie, with protagonists so insultingly stupid I was rooting for the killers by the halfway mark (if not sooner).

Burn After Reading - 6.5/10 Meandering Cohen fare, with an amusing performance by Pitt.

Agreed on The Strangers. It was a pretty crappy flick with zero redeeming qualities. The protagonists were really clueless. The girl was incredibly annoying. I believe a sequel has already been given the green light. Hopefully I am wrong.

I enjoyed Burn After Reading and would give it a 7.5/10 at best. I always enjoy John Malkovich going off on his rants.

I recently watched The Rocker at the request of my son. The movie had some funny moments but overall it was pretty sad. The concept was all right and with a decent story and writing it could have been so much more. 4/10

After the sudden and unexplained disappearance of my movie reviews thread, I thought it only appropriate to make a new one until the old one resurfaces or to completely replace it. Same rules as before, what was the last movie you saw and how would you rate it?

Sorry about that. It likely got inadvertently caught up in a spam sweep, and spam gets deleted permenently. The tool is such that would be easy enuf to do if there were several threads being deleted at once, and with spam there usually is. You guys don't see most of it as much of it ends up in the mod queue, but when we use the forum tools to clean up a forum, they are all mixed in with the good threads. So likely someone went clickety-click down the line and got that one by accident.

No way to know who did it. If you read the explanation, by defintion not even that person would know.

I certainly delete spam in here. Could have been me. I don't think I'm the only person to delete spam in here however.

What do you guys think about the Oscars?
Mickey Rourke got robbed IMO. Slumdog was good but not THAT good. Benjamin Button should have won best music. etc..

Thoughts?

Yea, I think the Academy has this tendency to get too much behind a particular film and shower it with Oscars. I was pulling for Curious Case myself, though I knew it was going to lose all the major awards to Slumdog. Glad to see Heath won, had Hoffman won it that would've been twice he was undeservedly awarded over Ledger (I like Hoffman, he's a good actor, but Ledger's performance in Brokeback was historic whereas Hoffman's Capote is already forgotten and I highly doubt much discussed amongst film critics).

Not sure I liked the circle-jerk of actors giving away the major awards. And they kept certain people on stage for too long (Daniel Craigs, Will smith, etc.).

Yea, I think the Academy has this tendency to get too much behind a particular film and shower it with Oscars. I was pulling for Curious Case myself, though I knew it was going to lose all the major awards to Slumdog. Glad to see Heath won, had Hoffman won it that would've been twice he was undeservedly awarded over Ledger (I like Hoffman, he's a good actor, but Ledger's performance in Brokeback was historic whereas Hoffman's Capote is already forgotten and I highly doubt much discussed amongst film critics).

Not sure I liked the circle-jerk of actors giving away the major awards. And they kept certain people on stage for too long (Daniel Craigs, Will smith, etc.).

Yes I was rooting for Button too (I really loved it!) TDK should have won sound mixing (not only sound editing). And Button should have won Cinematographie too IMO.
But Mickey got robbed! :(

I think they were afraid Rourke would give an acceptance speech as rambling and laced with profanity as the one he gave at the independent film awards. :p

I think they were afraid Rourke would give an acceptance speech as rambling and laced with profanity as the one he gave at the independent film awards. :p

lol, he deserved it though. Hopefully directors are going to cast him to play interesting roles (other that blockbuster BS/stuff like Iron Man2 and SinCity 2) and he'll have a chance to be nominated again.

I haven't seen Milk, or Slumdog, but all my friends said Slumdog was massively overrated. The Oscars tends to do that. They give all the awards away to one hot movie. They rarely seem to spread the love.

Back