Movie Reviews 2.0

It's also actually more realistic - it is one of the most important selection criteria for astronauts (I read in the newspaper). In that sense Sandra Bullocks character was way more atypical than the more realistically optimistic George Clooney.

Well to be honest, Gravity's astronaut characters were in a mission that was supposed to be a milk run. Bullock's character was chosen for her knowledge and familiarity with the subject (even though it's not really well explained in the movie) and Clooney's the seasoned pilot, the kind of guy you could meet in any transamerican flight. So there wasn't really any reason to select the best of the best for the mission - and this is actually one of the major points of the story, as it's about how a relatively average person has to deal with extraordinary situations, how she has to find her deepest strengths in order to overcome inner conflicts to survive. If Gravity was about an elite crew of astronauts it would've been a quite different, and probably far less effective movie.

Yeah I kinda like that movie, although I know many don't; but I believe it's not really SF but drama instead.

I mean, you could easily change the setting of Gravity to something like the Arctic sea, and the main story elements could still remain the same. It's just that space is an even more extreme setting, the most unforbidding possible, so it can push the drama - and the visuals! - even further. Whereas the Martian would be a far less interesting story if it was about a shipwrecked scientist.

Ghibli has been doing that for ages.

Japanese Animation studios have been doing that kinda thing for ages in general, but I'm obviously not talking about Japanese animation studios. I'm talking about Western studios doing that kinda thing with Western budgets. Closest I have seen so far has been Zemeckis' Biowulf.

If you're interested about the story behind The Martian, this is pretty cool:

The power of the internet, well.

Well to be honest, Gravity's astronaut characters were in a mission that was supposed to be a milk run. Bullock's character was chosen for her knowledge and familiarity with the subject (even though it's not really well explained in the movie) and Clooney's the seasoned pilot, the kind of guy you could meet in any transamerican flight. So there wasn't really any reason to select the best of the best for the mission - and this is actually one of the major points of the story, as it's about how a relatively average person has to deal with extraordinary situations, how she has to find her deepest strengths in order to overcome inner conflicts to survive. If Gravity was about an elite crew of astronauts it would've been a quite different, and probably far less effective movie.

Yeah I kinda like that movie, although I know many don't; but I believe it's not really SF but drama instead.

I was so upset by the movie ignoring simple physics, when the same dramatic impact could have been made while not being ridiculous.
When a person is hanging of the end of a rope in space saying let me go and save yourself then BLAH... have him die getting out to remove the parachute later.

Finally Inside Out has arrived in German theaters.
What a smart and delightful movie. Pixar hasn't been anywhere near that level since Up. Just like with the director's last Pixar movie Wall-E, I'm kinda wondering why they felt the need to wedge a concept as profound and arguably complex as this into the framework of a standard kiddie flic. It's bright and shiny, sure. But otherwise I feel there's very little there for the little ones.
If there's one studio out there that could get away with releasing a thoroughly mature feature length animated movie, it's certainly Pixar.

I also watched it with my younger sisters and i really really liked it. Quite smart and entertaining at the same time. But I wondered exactly the same: what do kids get from this? Do they understand anything?

Maybe the cat at the end...

Exactly. Even the movie's source of humor is primarily the banter between Joy and Sadness. Fear gets a bunch of kid-friendly slapstick moments, and admittedly well done ones at that, but that's kinda it.
Wall-E at least had some cool looking robots and spaceships. Inside out had, quite literally, a walk through the
abstraction layer of the mind. (Are we supposed to be in the head of an eleven year old girl or that of a liberal arts student who loves Vasily Kandinsky?)

By the way, that cat moment was a great example of yet another wonderfully observed Pixar behaviorism, wasn't it?

Last edited:
I went to see The Walk in a new Laser IMAX cinema here in London.

Movie verdict: don't bother.

Screen verdict: Not sure what's 'laser' about it, but it really was by far the best 3D viewing I've experienced in a cinema. Amazing. It really seems to be some new technology - no double images whatsoever even on dark scenes, which is a nice change from the usual distracting 3D crosstalk on normal cinemas. Playing around with the glasses, which are very different from the usual polarised 3D glasses you get normally, one 'side' of the image was purple and the other side was yellow. No idea how they reconstruct the image from there, but it was really good.
Blacks were absolute black, brightness was... bright....

Try it if you have one near you! But not to see The Walk!

Screen verdict: Not sure what's 'laser' about it
From the name, and the lack of double images you report, I would assume the image is literally drawn on the screen using laser beams in a scanning-line CRT-like fashion, rather than being projected white light shone through a LCD panel (or photographic film, in the past) as has been tradition in cinemas for 100+ years now.

Bought San Andreas on Blu-Ray today but haven't been able to start watching it yet. Feeling really crappy today for some reason unfortunately, took an ibuprofen pill a couple hours ago and it helped a little with the headache at least. :p "Tomorrow!", I'm telling myself, as I've been looking forward to this movie. I missed it in cinemas, and I've heard it's supposed to be pretty good...

Terminator Genisys

Based on the critiques I've expected a lot worse, but this was actually quite enjoyable... Sure, it can't stand up to the first two movies, but then again, what else could?
All of the Arnolds were great, and I didn't really have such a big problem with the new Sarah and Kyle.

The fist hour or so is actually really good IMHO - granted, a lot of it is from the original script of T2, stuff that they could not have filmed back then, but I think those sequences were good enough to just put them back in to T2, up to the point of starting the time travel. The CG Arnold was as good as it gets, at least before the action; my only regret is that Bill Paxton was replaced ;)

Then the new stuff comes in, but honestly it's not that bad - any sequel should really do something new to justify itself.

Oh and I've really liked how they've managed to use the old Arnold and still make him cool. There's not a second where you'd think that he's too old for this :)

@Laa-Yosh Arnold's T800 being self-conscious about his age is one of my greater enjoyments of the movie. It injects a bit of humor without dumbing everything down. :)

Saw The Martian last night. Really, really good film. I can totally understand why some are saying it will inspire a new generation of astronauts. Great use of music too, it reminded me of Guardians of the Galaxy in that respect.

@Laa-Yosh Arnold's T800 being self-conscious about his age is one of my greater enjoyments of the movie. It injects a bit of humor without dumbing everything down. :)

Yeah, out of the many, many times Arnold's tried to be deliberately funny in a movie, this was the first time he ever pulled it off.

Then again, he's always tried harder for Terminator than just about everything else. See: how he went out of his way to familiarize himself with every gun used in T1 down to the point of being able to field strip them as he felt the robot would be intimately familiar with the weapons due to programming.

There's always been a bit of method actor in Arnold. He does take his craft more seriously than most ever gave him credit for. :)

Have any of you guys seen that recent-ish zombie movie of his? I heard it is supposed to be good (one of his best performances ever supposedly), but the premise sounded so sad I don't know if I could watch it... :p

I went to see The Walk in a new Laser IMAX cinema here in London.

Movie verdict: don't bother.

Screen verdict: Not sure what's 'laser' about it, but it really was by far the best 3D viewing I've experienced in a cinema. Amazing. It really seems to be some new technology - no double images whatsoever even on dark scenes, which is a nice change from the usual distracting 3D crosstalk on normal cinemas. Playing around with the glasses, which are very different from the usual polarised 3D glasses you get normally, one 'side' of the image was purple and the other side was yellow. No idea how they reconstruct the image from there, but it was really good.
Blacks were absolute black, brightness was... bright....

Try it if you have one near you! But not to see The Walk!

Why didn't you like "The Walk"?
Because you felt sick? Because it's not very accurate about the real story?
If it's the latter then there's the "Man on Wire" documentary from 2008, which is more truthful to the real events (but I guess you already know that).

Bought San Andreas on Blu-Ray today but haven't been able to start watching it yet. Feeling really crappy today for some reason unfortunately, took an ibuprofen pill a couple hours ago and it helped a little with the headache at least. :p "Tomorrow!", I'm telling myself, as I've been looking forward to this movie. I missed it in cinemas, and I've heard it's supposed to be pretty good...

So one thing about this movie to think over whilst watching it (trust me, this'll be more interesting than the movie itself).

The actress who plays the daughter is 29. The actress who plays the mother is 44. So by my reckoning, Dwayne Johnson quite likely impregnated the mum when she was 14. Not so much the All American Hero now, eh? They don't mention this in the trailers as far as I can tell.

Silly Hollywood.

Back