Movie Reviews 2.0

Saw it with the wife today. I enjoyed it quite a bit until
the last 1/4th where humans pull out their quantum-physics-warping tech that also serves as spears capable of dismembering a powerful creature like Malekith.

The final scene also felt tacked on, makes me wonder if
someone agreed to reprise their role during production.

DC needs to take a hint though. The infusion of humor kept the movie from being a dour, joyless, save-the-world affair like Man of Steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished watching "Super8" by the way. Finally got around to it. Great movie!

Triggered by this, I also watched Super 8 yesterday. Had been sitting in my todo-list for quite a while.

I'm surprised you didn't give us your usual whine about survival in physically impossible situations.
The truck/train head-on collision in Super 8 beats bunch of dwarves falling in a fantasy land any day - we saw an explosion on impact and the whole damn locomotive went ballistic, and after the minutes long fireworks show ends, the guy sits neatly on the seat with few drips of blood on forehead, one corner of the truck just mildly dented.
I've never before paid any attention on the lens flare thing in Abrams movies, but now I got it. Every single scene shot in dark had blue streaks popping out here and there. The last half an hour got a bit boring, but quite an OK movie. It felt a bit like Abrams reimagining E.T. to me.

I'm surprised you didn't give us your usual whine about survival in physically impossible situations.
:LOL: Yeah. Your criticism of the movie is entirely valid (and the part you hid in the spoiler is quite spot on), but I just loved the characters so much I didn't get hung up much on the weaknesses you mentioned. And as for the flares... I actually never noticed any of them - AT ALL - until the very end as I mentioned. Then when I started watching the director's commentary I noticed very very obvious lens flares when we first get to see the train station...but then I was more observant for them.

My first time watching the movie I was just following the story and the characters. I really enjoyed the actors' performances, I thought they were great, all of them. Very natural, kind of like young Christina Ricci and young Elijah Wood in The Ice Storm for example.

theyve both good, not great

heres a few better ones (zombie/infected etc)

Let sleeping corpses lie (1974) // prolly the benchmark for a zombie film
Braindead (1992)
I Bury the Living (1958)
Dellamorte Dellamore (1994)
The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Slither (2006)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Day of the Dead (1985)
Re-Animator (1985)
Dead of Night (1972)
Shivers (1975)
Psychomania (1973) // if you ignore the songs
Dead & Buried (1981)
Rec 2 (2009) // better than part 1
Messiah of Evil (1973) // cross vampire
Pontypool (2008)

I know most of those but will have to check out a few of those older ones. Slither was a fantastic find for me, really enjoyable.

Watching the Hobbit in 3D at home it looks a bit blurry in places, but it feels better than in the cinema (maybe my cinema is crap?). Watching the movie in 45 minute intervals also makes the movie better.

Looking forward to seeing the movie in 48 fps in the future again!

Saw "You're Next" in theaters this Saturday. Surprisingly cool slasher/home invasion flic that managed to somewhat turn the genre on its head without relying on Scream's fourth-wall breaking, overtly self-aware shenanigans. Haven't quite rooted for a main character in a horror movie since, like, forever. What a gloriously bad-ass, resourceful and clever lady she was. The actress even pulled off the considerable feat of transcending the atrociously bad German dubbing. Everyone else including not-Olivia Wilde merely did okay, but it was still enough to get the job done. Not one for gore-hounds despite some quite nasty kills and not particularly scary either, it was nonetheless a snappy and thoroughly entertaining ride.

Ghaacckk... Dubbing. Why any self-respecting adult would want to watch a dubbed movie is beyond me. I've never seen a german, french or spanish dub that wasn't total and utter crap compared to the original. (Watched for scientific and documentary purposes only, of course...) All dubbed swedish movies are kids movies thankfully (and yeah, they all fucking stink, except for classic animated disney dubs, because there they cared about the end results. Modern stuff I dunno, but I think it's shit from disney also nowadays.)

Many kids movies dubbed in Dutch can be surprisingly good over here, sometimes better than the original even. Generally though I much prefer the original, with subtitles if necessary (for say Korean flicks ;) )

I always turn on subtitles these days. My ears have gotten funny as I've grown older, I can't make out speech as easily now as when I was younger, and I'm not that old... Bah. :LOL:

Many kids movies dubbed in Dutch can be surprisingly good over here, sometimes better than the original even. Generally though I much prefer the original, with subtitles if necessary (for say Korean flicks ;) )
I disagree, the problem is dutch accents have a far limited range compared to the more varied english. And with cartoons the voices are usually greatly exagerrated

I can't listen to swedish dubs of cartoons. Spongebob in swedish for example makes me want to jump in front of a train or something, the voices are so hysterical. And not in a positive, humorous sense. It's overdone, completely. Ugh, I hate it.

I disagree, the problem is dutch accents have a far limited range compared to the more varied english. And with cartoons the voices are usually greatly exagerrated

But the English ones often far more so. I have a five year old, so I feel like an expert on this :p

But the English ones often far more so. I have a five year old, so I feel like an expert on this :p
Well Ive watched more cartoons than s/he has, though prolly not more dutch ones, seen a few though.
The thing with english is because of its more widespread use you have a more varied usage/accents eg ozzie/UK(dialects)/US(dialects)/saffer which you can draw on when creating the voices. Dutch tends to be very nasal, except for surinamese or something

Actually people with Indonesian accents speak very nasal Dutch, but regular Dutch isn't very nasal at all.

I think I have heard more cartoons in both languages than you though. ;) Ever compared Dora? Boots is horrible in Dutch but Dora is almost worse in English.

Aye? Dutch is very high pitched, if I wanna do a dutch accent I do like I do with an stereotypical ozzie one, speak at the roof of my mouth.
Surprising cause next door in germany guys typically have low voices. And the dutch are one of the tallest people in the world.

heres a dude trying to do various dutch accents (not very well)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOzDfPYGz9Mnow youre prolly not the best judge being dutch but for foreigners, its amusing seeing a 2meter tall guy speak in such a nasal voice

Dude, do you see his nose? It's impossible not to sound nasal with that. I speak from experience. ;) I see your point, but in general Dutch isn't nearly as nasal as some. But some dialects can be very.

Dutch tone height is fairly average to low. There's a natural pitch people have, and Dutch is generally the same or slightly lower than UK English. US english, especially males, tend to speak considerably below their natural pitch though, to the point where it gives them physical problems (hoarseness etc). At least, that is what my phonetics professor told us.

Bought and re-watched "Se7en" for the first time since it originally went up in theatres, way way back in the misty, time-lost recesses of history. Well, okay, maybe not THAT long ago, but still, there's been some water flowing under a couple bridges since then.

Wow, seeing it again I realized that I really didn't remember much of the movie, at all! Some elements I recalled, but Gwyneth Paltrow...? Nope. She doesn't look like the Paltrow of today anyway, barely recognized her. The voice was the same, and the smile, but damn. She's changed. Not for the worse though, just changed.

Not terribly super fond of Brad Pitt as an actor, never have been really. He's not bad or anything, but in this movie his character is very aggressive and abrasive and just not particularly likeable. It's not his fault I guess, just the way the script was written. Morgan Freeman is doing his thing, again, he's a dependable character actor that, well, you can depend on to do his particular thing. No surprises there really. He kind of reminds me of Sidney Poitier's character in that old flick where he plays a cop in a small southern town and there's been a murder. The similarities don't go very far, other than both characters being intelligent, experienced black police investigators. (Was a really really good movie that one by the way, wish I could remember its name. Saw it on TV years ago.) Kevin Spacey is pretty freaky in this one. He's the main character really, you might say. His characterization is quite different from his other roles in movies like Usual Suspects or L.A. Confidential for example (which both are 90s movies.) Very versatile guy, as an actor.

I remember there was a lot of talk about all the shaky handheld camerawork primarily in the action scenes in this movie back when it was new. It was explained to be because it was the director's (David Fincher) first feature movie, and he'd previously done MTV music videos, and he brought the style over to the big screen. I don't know if all that is true, it's just what I remember reading from back then, and I remember it because I felt the shaky camerawork was a bit overdone, bothersome and distracting at the time. However, re-watching the movie I'm not irritated in the slightest. Shaky action cams have become a notable style in the action genre, perhaps prevalent to the point of being the norm even, I really haven't investigated closely, but it's so common nowadays that seeing Se7en again don't ruffle my feathers in the slightest. I barely even noticed it while watching except a few times during the long chase sequence when I specifically recalled my memories from the first time I watched this movie.

Back then, I felt the movie was perhaps overly gruesome and over the top in crazyness and gore. I guess time has caught up with this feature, because I don't get those vibes anymore when watching it. It's still a horrific gruesome tale really, but I've seen similarly strong movies a number of times since this one was made, so the gory bits don't feel as extreme anymore. The chock factor has at least partially worn off on me. :)

Se7en does stand the mark of time though. It's not dated at all I feel, you don't get the impression that it is friggin eighteen years old. It feels perfectly timeless really, maybe a person with better eyes for these things can see the passage of time, for example in people's clothing styles (Paltrow's character mainly probably due to being female and dressing prettily), but the main characters' warderobes; dark pants, white shirt and tie, vest, overcoats and so on - Freeman even wears a hat - could fit pretty much any detective movie from now back to the noir era basically. Then again, this is a modern noir tale, so it does make sense.

I liked the movie more this time than when I first saw it. Back then I felt it tried to be overly horrible for the sake of it. Now, it just felt like a really gruesome tale featuring some worn or broken characters (except Paltrow), and I really enjoyed my time quite a lot while watching it.

7 + 1 out of 10. ;)

Back