Motherboard immediately powers on

Sxotty

Legend
So I have this less than stellar motherboard at the moment and when I plug in the power supply (or switch it on via a powerstrip or via the switch on the back of the PSU) the motherbaord immediately powers on but doesn't post.

I unplugged the header for the power button hoping the switch was broken but it still does it.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

It is a MSI k8n SLI-f mobo.

Is the Power on after power failure (sorry can't remember the exact wording and can't be bothered to restart my machine to check) option turned on in the BIOS?

I had a simmilar problem when assembling my current rig.
Turned out to be a small circuit from between the motherboard and the case.
Found out when I pulled all the parts of of the case, and it could boot just fine on the table.
I figured out it was either the motherbaord touching the case somewhere or some dust.
Try pulling your parts out of the case and see if it can do a boot in the "wild"

Thorburn it is set to not turn on after a power failure.

I had a simmilar problem when assembling my current rig.
Turned out to be a small circuit from between the motherboard and the case.
Found out when I pulled all the parts of of the case, and it could boot just fine on the table.
I figured out it was either the motherbaord touching the case somewhere or some dust.
Try pulling your parts out of the case and see if it can do a boot in the "wild"

Ok, well I already tried that and then it stopped turning on, but it then would not turn on when I hit the power button so I hit the reset button and it turned on. I download the manual to check and make sure the headers are hooked up right and they are. Strange I think oh well I will just swap the headers mayber there is a mistake. So I swap and still it turns on when I hit the reset button. I am fairly confused by this abberant behavior.

I then changed the BIOS option to turn off from power button to standby and then back to power off and suddenly it started working correctly.

I think that I am going to quit worrying about this and just leave it alone now. This was musical motherboard saturday as I swapped MOBO from PC into HTPC from HTPC into office pc and put an old on that had issues in the PC (yes it had issues previouly)...

just plug it in, and hold down the power button (or reset button, as it may be in your case) until it shuts down. then, you should be able to unplug/plug in until your hearts content without it powering on automaticaly.

Isn't that normal for power to be ever-present to the motherboard? Since the ATX standard was devised? If nothing else in the system is powering up (eg. hdd's, dvd's etc) then it just sounds like normal atx motherboard operation.

Back