Most overrated film of all time...

pocketmoon66

Newcomer
Continuing the film theme. What's your most overrated film ? I'd like to say...

SIDEWAYS - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! I absolutely hated every single minute of it.

I know it's almost sacrilege to say it but for me Apocalypse Now was massively overrated. It's not bad by any means but I'm amazed some people still list it among their favourite films.

Seriously? Sideways? I can understand not liking it (I liked it) but hating every minute? :)

My most overrated film... hmmm...

Well, I guess I'll go with LOTR:ROTK. Not that it's a bad movie or anything, it's rather good. IMO, it's not the Best Picture of 2003, nor is it better than the prior LOTR installments. Other than ROTK, I suppose that Hellraiser has gotten a little too much credit from the goth community.

It's not terribly scary or profound in any capacity IMO.

Blade said:
Seriously? Sideways? I can understand not liking it (I liked it) but hating every minute? :)

I came close to taking the DVD out into the garden and performing some sort of ritualistic sacrifice. The problem I had was that I found the protagonist a complete arse! And realising fairly quickly that the 'sad man writes book hoping to be published while looking for love' thing was probably a reflection of the author, I carried the dislike over to him as well :)

War of the Worlds (the Tom Cruise one). My wife and I watched this on DVD a couple months ago, and both came to the conclusion it was the worst movie we'd ever seen. I just can't believe how bad it was. The acting was awful, the effects were crappy, and the plot holes were so big you could drive a mack truck through them.

Couple examples (not real big spoilers):
At the beginning of the movie, the "storm" knocks out all electrical devices. I mean everything. The power is out, cars won't run, cellphones don't work, etc.. Just a minute or so after this, the camera pans directly to a guy who is taking pictures of the alien machine with his working digital camera. I mean seriously, has does someone not catch that?

And hey, let's fix a car with a completely fried ECU by replacing the starter solenoid. Yeah, that'll do it, and not a single other person in the world (except for the military) will realize this, so we'll have the only working car.

It's crap that like that made us cringe about every 5 minutes, but we forced ourselves to sit through the whole thing. We kept expecting it to get better, but man, it only got worse.

Mariner said:
I know it's almost sacrilege to say it but for me Apocalypse Now was massively overrated. It's not bad by any means but I'm amazed some people still list it among their favourite films.

I think it's a far better movie if you read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. It's basically a modern adaptation and far more chilling with Conrad fresh in one's head.

Definitely Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
I though with all the critical acclaim and box office success it would be less trite and homophobic. While it did resonate with my admiration of Amsterdam it was truly the suckiest movie since The Rick Springfield movie my high school girlfriend made me go to.

:) :) j/k

War of the Worlds - that movie was a ghastly abomination that somehow managed to annoy and bore me to death at the same time.

Oh, and definately SERENITY. Look, it's an OK SciFi movie but Firefly fanbois treat it like it was the Jesus of SciFi and a fucking classic and that's plainly retarded. There is absolutely nothing outstanding about Serenity. It comes off as a very good, albeit more than just slightly boring, TV series double feature and the story is basically a hack-job that desperately tries to tie all the lose ends together. Serenity works better than I had expected but it's basically a glorified TV show episode with a very high production value. I don't get the glowing reviews and the 8.0 average on IMDB. Laughable acting, cringe-worthy lines and questionable CG effects. This should have been a direct to DVD production.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for the ghastly abomination that is the 2005 remake of War of the Worlds. This is quite near the pinnacle of dreadful. What makes it so very bothersome is the fact that they had so much to work with, a prior movie to analyze and to refine and then they pop that thing out of the oven (I'd probably say the same for the King Kong remake, but I don't feel I have that honor until I have suffered through it). I am in no way biased against fiction or science fiction. This is just a sad case of a movie not being able to sell itself on screen. I am otherwise quite willing to believe and enjoy the "impossible" as long as the actors, director, and plot permit me.

I've read some quite flattering comments about Batman Returns and I cannot quite figure out why. That movie was painful to watch as well. Another fine example of when some of us remain seated on the couch after the movie finishes, jaw on the floor, wondering "How do you inject $200 million and come out with this?" Dreadful. (It's my opinion that only the "original" Tim Burton Batman with Michael Keaton worked. Batman could be made into a great Hollywood picture without the Burtonesque elements, but this hasn't been done yet.)

For something to be overrated there has to be someone rating it high. Was there anyone saying that "War of the Worlds" was good? :devilish:

My vote goes to "Short Cuts". The only movie I've wanted to leave the theather for. Sitting in the middle of a long row, together with a bunch of friends that didn't want to leave, and in a town where I wouldn't have anything else to do, was the only reasons to go through the pains.

Five big yawns to that one.

I fell asleep during Batman Returns in the movie theater. Watched it on DVD recently and I kind of liked it, even though I still found it to be rather boring. I'd give it a 7/10. Good but not great. Overrated? Maybe, yes.

In all seriousness and taking Basic's point to heart:

LOTR:ROTK - they should have included the burning of the Shire and cut the sappy send off down to 5 minutes instead of 45

Matrix 2&3 - so much potential, so much crap

Revenge of the Sith - puke

Basic said:
For something to be overrated there has to be someone rating it high. Was there anyone saying that "War of the Worlds" was good? :devilish:
Suprisingly enough, the critics liked it. Don't as me why. War of the Worlds received a lot of very positive media buzz.

wireframe said:
I've read some quite flattering comments about Batman Returns and I cannot quite figure out why. That movie was painful to watch as well. Another fine example of when some of us remain seated on the couch after the movie finishes, jaw on the floor, wondering "How do you inject $200 million and come out with this?" Dreadful. (It's my opinion that only the "original" Tim Burton Batman with Michael Keaton worked. Batman could be made into a great Hollywood picture without the Burtonesque elements, but this hasn't been done yet.)

Psst. It's called Batman Begins. ;)

I fell asleep during princess monoke.

But I would say Waking Life and anything LinkLater does is overrated. He seems to think if he installs a rotoscoping filter over a boring movie, he can make it interesting.

I think the worst movie I've ever seen, is either crybaby or hairspray both by John Walker (I think thats the directors name). They are both so exceedingly bad, it actually isn't even worth it to watch on that criteria alone (I love really cheesy flics sometimes).

But if we are talking about overrated. Definitely Shakespeare in love. It got an Oscar, god knows why, and has quickly been forgotten as run of the mill crap. Titanic might be up there too.

Back