Most overrated film of all time...

Shakespeare in Love was excellent.

I'm tempted to give a nod toward Lynch's Dune as worst film, but it's not overrated since it was fairly thoroughly panned by critics and audiences. I don't know, the first movie that comes to mind is Driving Miss Daisy, and that's because my cynical ass says it only got an Oscar because it depicted an old Jew looking at a black man and saying, "you're my best friend."

JBark said:
War of the Worlds (the Tom Cruise one). My wife and I watched this on DVD a couple months ago, and both came to the conclusion it was the worst movie we'd ever seen. I just can't believe how bad it was. The acting was awful, the effects were crappy, and the plot holes were so big you could drive a mack truck through them.

I agree. What makes it all the more disappointing is the fact that there was tremendous potential with the original story and now it has been spoiled.

Gone with the Wind
Pulp Fiction (bite me but that movie was a waste of time)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (though Jolie was mindblowingly hot)
God cant think of more as of the moment but there are plenty of forgetful films.

Well, there are movies that I personally don't feel a need to revisit such as Titanic but I can understand why some people adore them.

A movie that I don't unreservedly love and which I can't understand how people think is forever awesome? Mmmm, <looks at http://www.imdb.com/chart/top for inspiration> I'll suggest, given the way the sequels in part betray what it aspired to, that The Matrix somewhat qualifies though I did very much enjoy it.

Other movies that while also AAA Excellent still might be overhyped:

Million Dollar Baby: Great movie with amazing acting but a film for the ages ..... not.

Sin City - An amazing achievment of form and with compelling storylines and a unique style that helps set a wickedly delightful and noirish mood but did it distinguish itself to the level of other masterpieces that help define a genre or probe the boundaries thereof? Hmmmm ..... I'm reserving my opinion for the moment.

Blade Runner: One of my personal favorites and a movie I've seen and thought about countless times ........ but parts of it could have been done better and the movie as a whole leaves one with the feeling that you've just viewed a workprint of a film that has an amazing potential to occupy a unique place of honor in the pantheon of humanity's best films.

Like many of Dick's characters in the book the movie is based on and elsewhere, it's a bit broken. In a counterintuitive and unintended way that does add to the movies charm I guess.

Annie Hall: Perhaps too much a product of its time.

High Noon: Of late it seems mocking in how its theme doesn't really resonate with our existent culture. Does it speak to the principled individual within us all anymore?

On second thought maybe this movie is now greater than it ever was if it functions as a haunting reminder of an archtype that is seemingly lost to us.

Star Wars: Episode IV: Still great but for a slightly different list of reasons than it had originally. Suffers from a malady similar to that of the Matrix. But it differs in that it's disappointing prequels at issue here and to a lesser degree as it originally existed in harmony within an excellent trilogy.

The Godfather: A tad too hamfisted.

Fight Club: Please, unpleasantness can serve a purpose, it shouldn't be a cinematic religion. A mostly brilliant film though.

Pulp Fiction: Ground breaking at the time and worthy of all its awards and praise. We've changed, movies don't and the test of time imposes different standards.

Eh, I'm letting my current mood guide my fingers. The opinions above should be taken as possibly being of a transient nature.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Titanic - titanically bad. I had to turn off the DVD it was such rubbish. Oh, and Gangs of New York was utter tripe as well. Hmmm. Do I sense a link here?

I just browsed through the "top 5 movies" thread, and was humored by how many films are in both this and that thread. :)

I suppose a list of "top 5 worst movies" wouldn't share much in common with either of these threads, but I found it interesting how fine the line is apparently between deserved and undeserved praise.

Bigus Dickus said:
Pearl Harbor.

QFT. I remember the advertising for this film. It was ridiculous! And when it finally came out, all I remember hearing was bad acting that went on for too long. Special effects were supposed to be alright though.

Suprisingly enough, the critics liked it. Don't as me why. War of the Worlds received a lot of very positive media buzz.
OK, I might remember wrong here, or maybe the critics had different opinions here in Sweden.

Btw, I'll make a new cathegory: "Biggest disappointment"

Matrix 2 (and 2.5)
After the excellent first movie, my hopes were turned up quite high. But it's amazing how they succeded in making it booring by adding too long action scenes. Each action scene was draged out to the point where I hoped that theaters had a fast forward button - and then they continued some more.

Back