Monitor with EDID-info broken identified as flat-screen?

DeeGee

Newcomer
I use 2x 19" crt-monitor setup. Other one of my monitors broke and I, being a poor student decided to replace it with another used 19" tube.

There was small problem with the monitor that it had a componen or some piece loose inside, but it worked fine under linux on a nVidia graphics card, even if it didn't give out EDID info.

But now on my Windows (Vista x64 and XP x86) & ATI GPU machine the BIOS boot infos show up on the monitor just fine, but when Windows loads, the ATI drivers identify the monitor as a flat-panel and kills analog output = no picture... (the monitor is connected with a DVI -> D-sub adapter)

I was just wondering is there any way I can force the drivers to think the monitor as a CRT or try to find out what is the problem with the monitor identifying?

This is what I can see in CCC:
crtisadigitalpanel.png

(new users of the forum can't edit messages?)

Hmm, sounds odd.

DVI/VGA decision is not based on EDID data,
First thing to do is to check that it isn't your cable. Try and get one from a known good connection.

CC

Well, changing the cable isn't a option as the cable is part of the monitor... But it seems to me that the same thing that is broken in the monitor and causes edid-info to be missing, is somehow causing this identification problem.

But I guess I just need to get rid of this monitor and get one that actually works properly. Too bad that this one should work also if the drivers wouldn't foul up the identification.

you could get some junk PCI card to try out, such as a S3 virge DX 4MB. that could force you to disable aero glass but you should get some dual screen on your PC at least.

BTW are you really a poor student? I certainly can't get a new PC with vista or have room for two 19" CRT :p .

I don't know if it was the new 7.3 drivers or drivercleaner treatment, but now the display work just fine at least in XP. I need to test if 7.3 for Vista also fixes the problem.

Blackowicz: Just testing old Vista beta... Usully I still use XP.

alright, so it was just some shit. how does work Vista? I haven't even thought of touching it, my "crappy" PC (2Ghz, 512MB) is insanely fast in XP (new HDD has decreased boot time again, no norton or crap, less than 100MB ram used with winamp and some tools), so I'd have some fears about an OS requiring 512MB.

Well my computer is quite high end so there isn't any techical problems (even if I use the 64-bit version), but there are the "little" things that annoy me. The file browser annoys me. UAC was annoying until I turned it off. etc...
Maby I'm getting old. I'm too used to XP. I try to get used to Vista, but the I think Microsoft have f'd up the user interface with useless crud. Of course Aero it is pretty, but that doesn't save it.

Back