Modern monitors and radiation

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
Do modern monitors emit radiation that could affect our eyes and skin?

I remember back in the nineties a badly regulated color monitor slightly tanned the face of a friend of mine. He was exposed for many hours.

Did old monochrome monitors have that problem?

I have a moniter that I keep under my bed & I turn it on every night before I go to sleep. I haven't gotten a lady (or sheep) pregant yet! 8)

Modern low-emission monitors put out a lot less radiation than ten or fifteen years ago, and output the least radiation from the front. LCD/plasma monitors put out very little radiation compared to CRTs.

MasterBaiter said:
I have a moniter that I keep under my bed & I turn it on every night before I go to sleep. I haven't gotten a lady (or sheep) pregant yet! 8)

Errr.... what? :LOL:

K.I.L.E.R said:
WOuld going to LCD change this?

Yes. Everything emits radiation to some extent but in comparison to CRTs, LCDs emit almost no radiation and are generally much better on the eyes.

I have an old sun workstation monitor from the mid to late 90s(1996-1998 period). Cornerstone Color 50/115sf, 21", 80 pounds, and warnings not to stand to the side or behind while it's turned on. Think I should be worried about it, beyond just pulling something when lifting it?

You people are aware there's radiation - ie radiant energy (photons) - and "radiation", as often described by media and pseudo-scientists (magnetic fields), right?

CRTs produce both, essentially a CRT is a lot like the cathode tubes used in hospital imaging equipment. High-voltage tension accelerates electrons which then strike a solid target. The impact produces X-rays; in the imager this is used to produce a picture of the patient's innards, but in a monitor they're just an unwanted sideeffect. Fortunately, there's not a whole lot of them made by the CRT monitor. It might be added I seriously doubt an LCD screen would generate even a single X-ray, apart from the odd decay of some radioactive isotope in the materials used in the device. :p

The magnetic field "radiation" is a different beast entirely, and the jury seems permanently hung wether these actually are harmful or not and if they are, to what degree. Modern CRTs generate way less of these than they used to in any case (as witnessed by the relative lack of dust attraction to the front plate of a TCO-certified monitor).

Also, as LCD monitors don't rely on rapidly fluxing magnetic fields to paint the image on their screen (as well as drawing around 1/3 to 1/4th the power), "radiation" emitted from a LCD is much less than from a CRT...

The best thing however with LCDs however is the fact you don't need to fiddle with the screen adjustments every time you switch to a new resolution... It'll take care of that by itself! :D

Guden Oden said:
The best thing however with LCDs however is the fact you don't need to fiddle with the screen adjustments every time you switch to a new resolution... It'll take care of that by itself! :D
My Eizo at least remembers all settings for each resolution. :D

Yeh, its always worried me that the invention from which the xray was discovered is the foundation for the CRT.
As soon as I can afford a 19" or bigger LCD (preferably with fast reaction) I plan to get it.

I've had experience of sunburn from old monitors/TVs but not with modern monitors.
I do my best to avoid being behind monitors when they're on & it always bugs me when I see a PC lab/office/cybercafe with monitors blasting full force into the position behind.

Vadi said:
My Eizo at least remembers all settings for each resolution. :D
So does mine (a 19" T68 trinitron unit from 1998, still going strong), one still has to adjust it though the first time 'round, and it can only remember a limited number of resolutions/refresh rates (not sure how many really).

Back