Modern and Future Geometry Rasterizer layout? *spawn*

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Digidi, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Digidi

Regular Newcomer

When you can achive such quality and the tradeoff is realy low for normale computer shader. Why didn't AMD and Nvidia integrated a raszier for triangles smaller than a pixel?

2. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Digidi likes this.
  3. Digidi

Regular Newcomer

Maybe sombody can spawn this to a new topic: Modern and Future Geometry- Rasterizer layout ?

pharma, chris1515 and jlippo like this.
  4. Ethatron

Regular Subscriber

All UV-transforms are missing in this case, a UV-position doesn't convey the UV-space's scale, rotation, shearing and so on. I guess only the scale is essential. The scale is affected by the triangle's size on screen, and the UV-values on the vertices. Calculating those factors isn't all that convenient. You likely would make use of much more interpolator-slots, and that path isn't really large, not even today.

milk likes this.
  5. pixeljetstream

Newcomer

6. Digidi

Regular Newcomer

If we looked the nvidia lunch and we now know that the leaks were right and we have a die shot (if this is true i dont know). Nvidia will have this year 7 GPCs and 7 Rasterizers to feed 10.000 Cuda cores. What do you think bbout that?

7. techuse

Regular Newcomer

Does any one have info on how many MS rasterization takes on todays popular GPUs?

8. Digidi

Regular Newcomer

9. Jawed

Legend

Working page link:

https://www.realworldtech.com/tile-based-rasterization-nvidia-gpus/

Try setting the floats per vertex, pixel format and sample count to their maximum values. It looks like the tiles on Turing just start off very large.

Lightman, pharma, Digidi and 3 others like this.
  10. CarstenS

Legend Veteran Subscriber

This is how IMR looks like. Turing displaying the turquoise pixels while at the same time having some pixels completely untouched shows its doing conceptually the same thing as Maxwell and Pascal. Different buffer sizes or other defaults may lead to small differences though.

edit: I can see a maximum span over a 9 tile region at once.

Attached Files:

#50 CarstenS, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Digidi likes this.
  11. Digidi

Regular Newcomer

When i see nanite enigne i think the real bottelnack are micro polyogons. I wathched these analysis of nanite egninge an also looked clother. Even whene there is no good lightning in the scene the polygon structure make it unike. I don't understand why whe invest so much in shader when micro polygons gif you so much picture quality:

12. manux

Veteran Regular

Lightman and Digidi like this.
  13. Digidi

Regular Newcomer

I think like in the video they said now theyfollow polygons, because film industry need it :D If you want to make a realistic face and realistic structures you realy need more geometry than light effects.

Also ghost of thushima is a example that geometry rueles over lighning, all the high poly vegetation make it so realistic and the game don't use raytracing.

#53 Digidi, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  14. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

Nanite is not REYES nor is Lumen ray tracing based on everything I've read. Nanite is rendering small triangles, but that's where the similarity with REYES seems to end.

Also, you absolutely need good lighting to complement dense geometry and vice versa. Just because a game doesn't use ray tracing doesn't mean it has poor lighting.

chris1515 and milk like this.
  15. Putas

Regular Newcomer

I find this tragic rather than funny. Isn't there some cartoon software that could help make games look interesting again?

Digidi likes this.
  16. Digidi

Regular Newcomer

@Putas I find it also tragic. If you look Fortnite with Raytracing, how does it looks better than the old fortnite?

17. CarstenS

[my bold]
    I think that's a bit of a misconception. You would need to properly light the micropolygons as well and in order to know where to apply which amount of each color component, you need some kind of formula. Preferrably (but depending on your art style), global illumination based on physcial surface properties.[/QUOTE]

Digidi likes this.
  18. Digidi

Regular Newcomer

@CarstenS
    Exactly. But for a good shadow you need a good contour of the geometry. The geometry is feeding the formular with information.

My argument: If you use a complex mesh with a simple lightning formulare you will get besser results than with a complex formular for lightning with a simple mesh. because Main information for the lightning comes from the mesh. The mesh is a big part of the variables insight a lightning formular. If the mesh is not detailed enough you can have the best ray traycing, it will look ugly.

Thats why i think we will get a better grafic advantage when we invest more time and resources in polygon creation with simple light shader formula than if we use a simple polygon mesh with a complex lightning formula.

That is what nanite is exatly doing. They don't do any raytracing. They use complex geometry and us a simplified lightning system with only one lighning bounce and the result is impressive.

Her it is good video which explains it:

If you look here. The small geometry hights make the wall so realistic. Withought the hights you don't get the information for the micro shadows.

#58 Digidi, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  19. CarstenS

I'm not arguing that.

Digidi likes this.
  20. Digidi

Regular Newcomer

Sorry my english is realy bad! I should copy your sentence in your signiture :D