Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor

Just finished! Quite a ride to the end there, now I guess I'll just do some trophy hunting.

Reminds me of Viking: Battle for Asgard in the way the combat flows, it gets a little frustrating as you can't choose the target of your attacks. It just auto locks on the next available enemy. Also the actions are very slow to engage so it's very very easy to get your hit streak broken or be hit when attempting a drain etc. But once you've got a few legendary runes on your sword it makes life a lot easier.

Storming a stronghold with a fleet of Caragaurs whilst riding on the back of a Graug is pretty much a high point!

it gets a little frustrating as you can't choose the target of your attacks. It just auto locks on the next available enemy
You can choose which enemy to attack by pulling the left trigger in his direction.
It's not 100% accurate though.

Also the actions are very slow to engage so it's very very easy to get your hit streak broken or be hit when attempting a drain etc. But once you've got a few legendary runes on your sword it makes life a lot easier

Drain and ground execution can be interrupted with a counter.
While performing combat execution, combat drain, wraith flash, you will be invulnerable to attacks so you don't need to worry in those situations.
You can't counter when you are holding an enemy but you can use him as a shield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised my brother who is a hardcore PC gamer did not much like this. He finished it and seemed pretty blah when I asked his opinion. Said the combat becomes boring eventually, and that the game would probably be more fun to watch than actually play (because I said it was fun to watch him play it, due to the brutal executions etc). In any case he had moved on after just a week, whereas some games he will play for weeks.

Wow ! What a surprise it is !
The opening was fantastic and then the game threw me headlong into the nemesis system and I got hooked. Have already taken out a few captain and there's this one lowlife Uruk who keeps coming back to life and keeps stalking me. Last time he got killed auyomatically by one of those giants I was running away from and we had a hearty laugh as we didn't even know he was there :LOL: ! Let's see where he shows up next :p !
Also love how enemies remember events. This bugger comes up and says 'you ran away last time ' and I took a close look and realised this was the guy I did run away from as the crowd was too big and I a noob. The system adds a ton of personality into NPCs.
This is something sorely missing in big budget open worlds like GTA V and FC3/4, AC etc. It will be difficult not to feel disappointed in FC4 after this.

Arg!!! Birthday is Monday, so looks like I'm going to break down and get this. I'm really digging what I've seen thus far. Big fan of Batman Arkham series and this seems to carry many of the same qualities. Thanks team for the recommendation.

I don't care about photo mode, but I would like them to fix the FXAA and motion blur on PC. It is probably very very very easy to fix.

I don't care about photo mode, but I would like them to fix the FXAA and motion blur on PC. It is probably very very very easy to fix.

I thought someone on one of these threads suggested that both worked if you set motion blur to just "Camera Only". Have you tried that?

I kind of hate the side missions so far. Timed objectives I keep failing at or going out of bounds a failing. Are they all like this?

I kind of hate the side missions so far. Timed objectives I keep failing at or going out of bounds a failing. Are they all like this?
No. The only one I found annoying was the kill 50 (or was it 20?) orcs using a ranged weapon while riding a caragon in 3 minutes.

But I tried that early on in the game I could probably do it easily now. The stealth kill ones are very easy, particularly once you get Shadow Strike :yes:

The throwing daggers are overpowered, you can take 40 guys and never get touched. In general I'm owning baddies now. I used to die every five minutes, now I have not died in hours.

The throwing daggers are overpowered, you can take 40 guys and never get touched. In general I'm owning baddies now. I used to die every five minutes, now I have not died in hours.

Really? I've unlocked most of he abilities hit skipped the throwing daggers because they looked rubbish. I'll unlock them on my next play.

Brand makes you so ridiculously unkillable though.

I was trying to kill a warchielf and got him and his 40 friends. I just hit L2 over and over until he was alone (he dodged the daggers). It was comical to watch so many guys stumble backwards and die until he was alone.

I don't know what brand is yet, I just unlocked the teleport arrow skill with the version that kills. Is fire arrow worth it? It sounds limited use since it requires hit streak.

I was trying to kill a warchielf and got him and his 40 friends. I just hit L2 over and over until he was alone (he dodged the daggers). It was comical to watch so many guys stumble backwards and die until he was alone.

Had no idea daggers were deadly, I thouhgt they were just to knockback/stun attackers - which is how it looks in the little ability video preview on the upgrade screen.

I don't know what brand is yet, I just unlocked the teleport arrow skill with the version that kills. Is fire arrow worth it? It sounds limited use since it requires hit streak.

I won't spoil the 'brand' skill but just know that it's awesome and will change the way you play the game (it just gets so much better and more fun). Shadow Strike is epic, really cool for getting about and makes some of the seemingly impossible legendary weapon challenges much easier. I've upgraded my arrow capacity to 12 now and use them all the time. Fire arrows I've only used a few times - very situational the way I play.

Can anybody who has completed the campaign advise whether it's possible to continue playing after? Or should I tidy everything up before hand?

Can anybody who has completed the campaign advise whether it's possible to continue playing after? Or should I tidy everything up before hand?

Yes you can continue after the campaign is done. You'll still have access to both areas and as many orcs as you want to torture (or build into a formidable army). You can continue wrapping up challenges, cheevos and what-if sandboxing.

Had no idea daggers were deadly, I thouhgt they were just to knockback/stun attackers - which is how it looks in the little ability video preview on the upgrade screen.

I have the one upgrade after it, throws three daggers. I also have some artifact thing that makes them go up in flames 44% of the time with the daggers.

I have the one upgrade after it, throws three daggers. I also have some artifact thing that makes them go up in flames 44% of the time with the daggers.

I have a few surplus abilities points which I was saving for the final tier of abilities so will drop some of these on daggers :yes: I definitely have a rune that augments danger combat so I'll have to give that a go too.

I really like that you can chop and change the runes, it encourages experimentation.

Back