Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor

It really does and the AI continues to surprise me. In larger numbers orcs are more likely to stand their ground but in smaller numbers or when faced with a massacre (I love a good orc massacre :yes:), or rapidly demising numbers, or absolute chaos caused by explosions or caragons running rampage, many orcs will bail and try and save their own skin.

Adding a degree of self preservation (which few game enemies have) really adds to the feel of having an effect on the enemy, plus their dialogue is always entertaining when they decide they've not paid enough to deal with Talion :yes:

Yep. The more time I spend with this game the more I consider it the best game of the new gen. It actually adds something other than nicer graphics or mixing of different genre. The Nemesis system actually shifts in the middle of the playthrough, which I found refreshing. I went from using it as a mechanic to destroy the power structure of the Uruks to keeping track of the army I am building as I brand Uruk warchiefs and captains.

I just hope the end of the game isn't disappointing.

It really does and the AI continues to surprise me. In larger numbers orcs are more likely to stand their ground but in smaller numbers or when faced with a massacre (I love a good orc massacre :yes:), or rapidly demising numbers, or absolute chaos caused by explosions or caragons running rampage, many orcs will bail and try and save their own skin.

Adding a degree of self preservation (which few game enemies have) really adds to the feel of having an effect on the enemy, plus their dialogue is always entertaining when they decide they've not paid enough to deal with Talion :yes:
The AI in FC3 also had the same behaviour. The last few guys left usually made a run for it with me running behind them :p !

Yep. The more time I spend with this game the more I consider it the best game of the new gen.

I couldn't agree more. I really hope other open world game designers are taking note.

Thanx to all you guys and stories forned around fighting orcs in the nemesis system in my local forum I finally ordered the game. Turns out it is in high demand as none of my local online retailers had it, sold out everywhere and no one was selling used copies either. Finally found someone selling one, with codes un-used, and grabbed it just in time :D !
Will arrive by next weekend , hoping for some stories to form around that Nemesis system encounters !

Reasons why I love B3D, number 476: this thread made me extremely interested in this game, which I'd never have been otherwise or just from the reviews. This is now on my to-buy list. Thanks boys!

Reasons why I love B3D, number 476: this thread made me extremely interested in this game, which I'd never have been otherwise or just from the reviews. This is now on my to-buy list. Thanks boys!

You won't regret it. The game is extremely fun and has the depth to carry you to the end without getting bored.

Paying attention to Captains' weaknesses is a huge part of the game IMO. Some captains can be dispatched by a simple stealth kill or combo finisher. And if you want the orcs to run away screaming, there's no better way than dropping from the sky and slicing their leader's throat. Their expressions can be priceless :D. Getting intel is pretty fun too :devilish:

I was running around looking for an herb and came upon a group of three orcs. Instead of fighting like they normally do, these guys shat their pants and bolted full speed. I was like "yeah that's right" until I realized it was the giant monster behind me I hadn't noticed that they were running from. I joined the orcs in their run of terror, one hand covering my asshole. I love this game :smile:

P.S. if you play on PC, I highly recommend using an XBOX controller. The game will automatically detect the controller and change the button prompts on the fly. Very slick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was running around looking for an herb and came upon a group of three orcs. Instead of fighting like they normally do, these guys shat their pants and bolted full speed. I was like "yeah that's right" until I realized it was the giant monster behind me I hadn't noticed that they were running from. I joined the orcs in their run of terror, one hand covering my asshole. I love this game :smile:

Ha! Having caved in and finally killed my fourth Warchief, who through several botched assassination attempts was now insanely powerful and holed up a stronghold of hundreds of other orcs, which entailed 20 mins of kiting and ambushing, I've made it into the second area and boy is it pretty!

I'd gotten used to the brown/grey rocky landscape but Southern Mordor is brilliant. I was [strike]skulking about[/strike] prowling stealthily across some ruined tower and heard two orcs below. One orc was boasting to his friend "If I see the ranger I'll cut him in two." so I drop down in front of them and Mr Ranger Slayer screams "Argh! The Ranger!" and high tails it off.

Brilliant stuff :yes:

I love the dark humour. I keep forgetting these are the guys who did the two No One Lives Forever games which were brilliantly dark. I've stopped thinking of this game as Shadows of Mordor, this is Orc Simulator 2015 Edition :yes:

I just started marking dudes for death. I had defeated a random Captain and he was on his knees begging for my dagger. Instead I used him to deliver my message of intent to a certain captain who's been chapping my ass from the start. The game is on.

BTW I decided to turn off vsync and raise the FPS cap to 60 and all I can say is :oops:. The game really kicks ass at 60Hz. Only settings that aren't at max are Textures and AO which are at High. Oddly even without vsync I only notice tearing if I'm looking for it. Very minimal and only occurs in the lower part of the screen. Maybe because I capped the game at 60fps?

I can't figure out what kind of game this is.
Could someone explain how this compares to Elder Scrolls (pure open-world, chaotic story-wise), Dragon Age 1/2 (more linear, good story-telling) or The Witcher 1/2?

It's basically Assassin's Creed but better. Combat, stealth, story progression (Nemesis system) is all super fun.

My copy arrives in a few hours ! woot woot !
@Tottentranz: its AC traversal +batman combat + an AI system called the Nemesis system.

Funny how batman borrowed its traversal from AC, which in turn got to have a more batman like combat from AC3 onward, and how a lot of the more procedural and emmergent campaign structure of Mordor is very familiar to AC1´s earlier ambitions.
It´s interesting how game design ideas like to stay within certain genre boundaries.
I won´t be surprised if AC series develop nemessis-like stuff for their next titles. In fact, I´ll be surprised if they don´t.

Funny how batman borrowed its traversal from AC, which in turn got to have a more batman like combat from AC3 onward, and how a lot of the more procedural and emmergent campaign structure of Mordor is very familiar to AC1´s earlier ambitions.
It´s interesting how game design ideas like to stay within certain genre boundaries.
I won´t be surprised if AC series develop nemessis-like stuff for their next titles. In fact, I´ll be surprised if they don´t.

The Nemesis system is pretty simple, but it adds a lot to the game. For one, I love bosses in games. For a long time, they'd kind of disappeared from a lot of genres. Love that they're back. I think I had about 10 hours in playtime before i went on vacation and I'd most spent that just killing piles of orcs, gaining intel on captains and trying to kill them all. I could see future iterations spawning dynamic quests, interactive dialog in encounters, smarter group ai for captains and their minions etc etc. There's a lot they can do with it. These are the kinds of things that gaming needs to get interesting again, especially in open world games. It makes the world feel more alive. Imagine playing GTA and a cop or a gangster shoots you. Suddenly he becomes a named character, promoted for defeating you. Then you could find him and exact revenge etc. It could work in all kinds of different games. Looking forward to seeing other companies expand on the idea.

Weird, so this isn't a RPG at all? Steam seems to label the game as such..

No, it's nothing like an RPG like Elder Scrolls or The Witcher.

Shadows or Mordor does have RPG-lite elements such as being able to grow and develop your character's abilities, with the extent which this is possible depending on your completing side missions not essential to the main campaign quest. But if you're looking for a game where you can wander round and find interesting diversions, this isn't it.

99% of your encounters will be combat related and end in the death or one or more orcs and it's the diverse behaviour of your foes - mostly nameless orcs - which set this game apart from many third party combat games. The enemies reactions and tactics will depend very much on the situation but any nameless orc can become a named orc and a more significant enemy to defeat (or dog you) in the future.

If the idea of killing thousands or orcs does not appeal, this is not the game for you :nope:

No, not really. It has upgrades for weapons, and a really basic stat upgrade tree and a skill tree. That's the only thing that's rpg about it. I'd more of an action game. It's basically the Batman Arkham games reskinned and with some additional features.

Back