Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor

DieH@rd

Legend
1387204267-mesom-mords3jco.jpg

Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor [PC, PS3, PS4, X360, Xbone]
Studio - Monolith Productions (Blood, Shogo, NOFL, F.E.A.R., Condemned)
Type - Open World Action RPG, Arkham style of combat, AC style of vertical traversal, unique Nemessis/Memory system
Writer - Christian Cantamessa (lead writer of Red Dead Redemption)
Story - Set between Hobbit and LOTR, one undead Ranger has to revenge the death of his family by fighting Sauron's army that has invaded Mordor

few previews
http://www.destructoid.com/preview-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-269404.phtml
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/orcs-are-no-longer-the-scariest-thing-in-mordor
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hu...n-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor/1100-6417227/

1387204250-mesom-nemesis-system.jpg

1387204268-mesom-talion.jpg

1387204267-mesom-wraith-abilities.jpg

I watched the video, seems intersting as long as they don't make it repetitive. "Kill this orc, now this troll,...". It also look like a AC clone, which can be good and bad. I hope there is more to the world than Mordor and dark sunless areas. It would be nice to travel and see more of Middle Earth. I enjoyed the last ME game, War in the North.

Combat is very reminiscent of AC or Batman but that's good in my book + enemies looks more aggressive.
I like the supernatural/wraith powers.
I'll keep an eye on this.

EDIT
I forgot: the HUD is horrible ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks fine to me. I wonder how it plays. My last Lord of the Rings game on the Xbox 360 was so so, not bad, not great either.

They're taking the P with how much of an AC clone this is. On the other hand AC is awesome, LoTR universe is a perfect setting and the graphics are gorgeous. If the reviews are good I'm in.

The action gameplay is not that impressive, but the dynamic story telling is what caught my attention. I'm expecting for it to end up quite rough and weird in the end, but it is a step I'm glad some game is finally taking.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC System Requirements:

Minimum:

Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 | AMD Radeon HD 6950
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space

Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 | AMD Radeon HD 7970
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 40 GB available space

I cant wait to see PC sysreq for nextgen-only games [Arkham Knight, AC:U, Division, Witcher...] :D

They are some crazy high specs - especially the CPU requirements. Looks like this is another watch dogs where the draw call overhead of DX11 is coming to the forefront.

As to the recommended GPU requirements, no doubt "recommended" on the PC is considered to be above console settings.

A fantasy game riding on the coat tails of LOTR because they don't believe they can appeal otherwise, yet which won't benefit from the Middle Earth mythology particularly, and will completely ignore it for gameplay purposes.

So another typical Middle Earth game then!

They are some crazy high specs - especially the CPU requirements. Looks like this is another watch dogs where the draw call overhead of DX11 is coming to the forefront.
Even if this is true, that will never require the insane 4 fold CPU power listed there. And certainly Mantle didn't prove the situation is that much worse on optimized PC titles. Especially when coupled with a decent i5 or i7 CPU.

That leaves several options: Either the PC version is so advanced technically that running it at maximum settings requires advanced hardware, hence the high recommended requirements. or either it is not optimized at all, or it is just a marketing ploy to coax customer into buying better hardware.

Huzzah! The recommended spec matches my PC almost exactly (except I have 3770K and 16GB RAM).

Of course I doubt there will be any meaningful difference between an i7 and i5, but I got the CPU for free :p and if the game hungers for >2GB VRAM I'll tap in the 7950 from the spare rig :D

Excited to see PC games taking advantage of modern hardware.

I don't get the 15GB difference between required and recommended HDD space..?

The game is using Lithtech engine, the last decent title with that engine was F.E.A.R. 2. And certainly the game doesn't look anything advanced, with generic lighting and textures and modest poly count, unless they are planning to enhance that even further, but that is doubtful. I think these requirements are either false or blown out of proportions for hideous reasons. (Thief did the same, stating an i7 as a recommeded CPU. Only it be plays very well with even an i3).

Back