Microsoft's big bet

I think Nintendos will remain free. For Nintendo it's all about selling that old content. No barriers to that.Keep it simple with some basic in game feaures like friends and matchmaking.
I expect Sony's to follow the free PC model, maybe offer a basic free service that one ups MS by allowing gameplay online for free. And a more feature rich service for a fee.

the 50% live subscriptions is for live gold AND silver.

You don't pay for XBL silver.

Wedbush Morgan's comment on what videogames are is also ultimately flawed :p

Video games in essence are so much more, there's so many possibilitiesr. I would argue that most gamers don't play games to "escape".

No they mean 50% of users paying.

Everyone could get Silver for free so that would be way more than 50% wouldn't it?

I think you are assuming too much in the way of broadband use and easy connectivity.

As a side note, personally I don't agree with the notion that online connectivy goes against the idea of "a quick thrill". Over the course of my online connection with th PC the frequency with which I have played online games is close to nill, conversly, most of the time when I fire up PGR3 I will have a quick online game, presicely because of the fact that it gives me a quick blast against "real people". I'm wondering if the analyst in this article is associating "on-line" with the types of massively on-line multiplayer games such as WOW that does warrant many hours of work put into it.

Back