Microsoft.

I'm not entierly sure what just happened, do i even want to ask?

DiGuru/Frank makes assumptions in nearly everything in says. Therefore its basically impossible to hold a reasonable conversation with him because of this. He's not unwanted, at least not by me, I would just simply like if if he wouldn't link things together when that's only his opinion.

Obviously it's not going to happen but it'd be interesting if MS could start from scratch on an OS.

Take a look at singularity, a microsoft research OS that is *almost* entirely written in C# (I believe only some very early initialization and compiler code is written in asm).
I'm expecting the next versions of windows to virtualize more and more legacy systems. We are already seeing some things like deeper file system and registry virtualization in vista. Eventually my foolish dream is that the OS will turn into a slim, platform agnostic virtualized OS. All the really interesting developments in Cpu's seem to be happening outside of x86 these days...

Windows Home Server is a pretty cool piece of OS to have and to keep at the center of a home network.

I've had the privilege of testing it since the early build stages and now that it's done (should be on sale later this month, apparently) you cannot believe the huge amount of hurdles and space-gobbling software and OS installations, videos and music from iTunes, lots and lots of family and friends photos it has taken away from the client PC's.
All I've had to do was to to re-use old hardware components (no keyboard, mouse, CRT/LCD/TV display, graphics card or sound card are necessary), buy a couple of hard drives and a another set of external USB hdd's, set the thing up in the network, install the WHS console software in each client and and it immediately got to work.

Now, if they only had made a Linux and a OS X WHS client app i would be in automatic backup/media streaming heaven.
At least it can be remote controlled from the personalized website they give you. ;)

Windows Home Server is a pretty cool piece of OS to have and to keep at the center of a home network.

I've had the privilege of testing it since the early build stages and now that it's done (should be on sale later this month, apparently) you cannot believe the huge amount of hurdles and space-gobbling software and OS installations, videos and music from iTunes, lots and lots of family and friends photos it has taken away from the client PC's.
All I've had to do was to to re-use old hardware components (no keyboard, mouse, CRT/LCD/TV display, graphics card or sound card are necessary), buy a couple of hard drives and a another set of external USB hdd's, set the thing up in the network, install the WHS console software in each client and and it immediately got to work.

Now, if they only had made a Linux and a OS X WHS client app i would be in automatic backup/media streaming heaven.
At least it can be remote controlled from the personalized website they give you. ;)

I haven't had the chance to try out home server, but I'm very interested to see how it plays into their plans for the 360 (as a media device and console). If it can act as a remote hard drive, it will make the core a much more compelling system.

there are a few linux multimedia servers if thats what your after

No, that's not it (and Vista can already do that, if you look hard enough).
You see, WHS can backup a whole PC -not just individual files, folders and partitions, although the option is still there-, including the OS/OS'es installed, and then do a backup restore over the network on the fly to an empty hard drive (using the WHS Restore CD contained in the kit). The backups are incremental and automatic, and the hdd doesn't need to be the same size as the old.
If Linux has direct control over partitions and/or the boot sector of the hdd, WHS can't back it up. It only works with Windows XP and Windows Vista (NTFS and FAT32/FAT16) at the moment.
Incidentally, it works on a Mac (x86 only, sorry PPC users), as long as Vista or XP are installed and they are not sharing the boot sector with OS X -hey, it could happen ;)-.

And it's smart enough not to keep duplicates of media files on the networked client PC's if you don't want it to.
So you can just store the whole shebang on the WHS and stream it from there to the PC -or PC's- requesting it automatically.
That's why they recommend a Gigabit or Fast Ethernet wired connection, instead of WiFi (at least until 802.11n gets done for good).

Also, WHS is extensible with it's own SDK and has a rudimentary but effective form of software RAID that can also be used with removable drives.
The beauty of WHS is that it does this using a very user friendly and simple remote interface (WHS Console), removing the complexity of a typical Windows Server 2003 -on which it is based upon-, and it's geared for typical PC home networks only.

I know this all sound like Microsoft propaganda but believe me, as a somewhat disappointed Vista PC user, I'm actually surprised they came up with something this good.

Last edited by a moderator:
DiGuru/Frank makes assumptions in nearly everything in says. Therefore its basically impossible to hold a reasonable conversation with him because of this. He's not unwanted, at least not by me, I would just simply like if if he wouldn't link things together when that's only his opinion.

His primary "Frank" id is temp banned for abuse of staff in PM. You're just getting some blowback from that. The DiGuru id is perm banned for sock puppetry.

I see.

Anyhow, wasn't OS 7 initially going to break backwards compatibility and be an entierly new start? I was very dissapointed with them saying they were going to be using parts of Vista in it. Kind of negates the point according to me when starting on an entierly "new" operating system.

I kinda like Microsoft. I've used .NET and Visual Studio at work for a few years now and I have grown to like both of them. Also my computer is currently running Vista 64 and the OS is working like a charm.

And they throw good parties.

(For those who are interested, Cusumano's Microsoft Secrets is a really, really entertaining book).

sorry about that i only use the skyring account when im drunk please pay no attention to anything i post using that name ;)

ps: miksu how come you get invited to ms parties ?

working myself at IBM. you may give me outlook any day over crappy Notes.... where is the puke emoticon here

Back