Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought the price was fair at the beginning, but with a bit more reflexion...

I mean :

PS4 Pro >>>> PS4 = +100$

Scorpio >> Pro = +100$

The right price should have been 450$.

Why do you think MS didn't price more agressively?

My thoughts:
Chip costs (and thus bill of materials (BOM)) is more expensive that we might assume just based on die size alone because:

1. AMD is in a better negotiating position to leverage for higher licensing/royalty-per-chip since MS is now locked in and forced to go with AMD. At the beginning of the console generation there was the possibility Sony/MS could have gone with another semiconductor company (i.e. ARM cpu).

2. The powerful scorpio might eat into AMDs bread and butter, the consumerbase who buy mainstream cards i.e pci-e 5xx/4xx lineup. So might as well charge higher licensing/royalty if there is a console that lures away potential 580/480 owners.

Last edited:
There were quite a few exclusive games ( timed exclusives but if it is 6 months to a year then it is close enough mostly) and I am sure money is being put into games that we aren't aware of yet. Selling at a loss vs investing in exclusive content is an issue so MS chose the later which I think at the end of the day is the better choice to make. Doing both may not have been an option and of course there will be sales along the way surely during the holidays.

$500 bucks is a pretty decent chunk of a good 1080P gaming PC and next year 4k or 4kish maybe a sub $300 dollar card away so after a year or so the XB1X will be at that $400 price point one would think.

yeah I agree....but Microsoft is not making it as easy of a decision as I would have hoped though.

An on sale Xbox One S with bundled game at $249.99CAD or a Xbox One X at $599.99CAD....price gap is significant enough that it makes it hard not to just go with a Xbox One S now...
That's the point tho ? you can buy a xbox one s now and enjoy all your games and then get an xbox one x later on perhaps with a 4k tv and enjoy all your games in 4k .

pro is now selling at 350 and even a bit less.... so MS choosed to go really premium and not to battle on prices with Sony but with games and quality wich is a good news. Will take the Scorpio in the future as it gets cheaper.

I was expecting a price war... 399$ Scorpio. Pro dropping to 349$. Microsoft needs to reclaim their lost market share. At 499$ only hardcore players are going to get it (including me of course). This is a premium product for those who can afford a 4K/HDR TV.

However, unlike PS4 Pro, Scorpio is also a good buy for 1080p TV set owners, since only a few Xbox One games hit native 1080p. 900p is most common Xbox One resolution (60 fps games can even dip below 720p). All of these games will hit 1080p native on Scorpio and you get perfect locked frame rate + slightly improved visuals. I'd say that Scorpio interests a wider range of audience than PS4 Pro, simply because Xbox One wasn't powerful enough to hit 1080p at good enough quality. But the 499$ price is a bummer for wide adaptation.

MS choosed to go really premium and not to battle on prices with Sony but with games and quality wich is a good news.
As if :LOL:
It looks like a cheaper looking PS2.
https://abload.de/img/ps2-fat-console-setcoumu.jpg
xboxonexhardwarefirstr0u9v.png

ps2-fat-console-setcoumu.jpg

Last edited:
However, unlike PS4 Pro, Scorpio is also a good buy for 1080p TV set owners, since only a few Xbox One games hit native 1080p. 900p is most common Xbox One resolution (60 fps games can even dip below 720p). All of these games will hit 1080p native on Scorpio and you get perfect locked frame rate + slightly improved visuals. I'd say that Scorpio interests a wider range of audience than PS4 Pro, simply because Xbox One wasn't powerful enough to hit 1080p at good enough quality. But the 499$ price is a bummer for wide adaptation.

Pro is fine for 1080p owners thank you very much.

It does indeed look a bit like the original PS2 :D
Was expecting a more premium look as they market it as a premium console. Now it looks very cheap and much worse than xbox one s.

Pro is fine for 1080p owners thank you very much.
Pro doesn't offer much advantage over base PS4 for 1080p owners. I own base PS4 + 1080p plasma and didn't feel the need to upgrade to Pro. The difference is just so small at 1080p. Still waiting for OLED HDR 4K TV prices to drop before I upgrade my TV.

But Scorpio is a different matter since Xbox One didn't even reach 1080p on 1080p TV sets. And even 900p had quality trade-offs. Now with Scorpio, the 1080p output will be perfect and frame rate will be locked 30 fps / 60 fps depending on game (no drops). It's a much bigger difference vs base console version than Sony side.

Scorpio is a more reasonable upgrade for Xbox One owner with 1080p TV than PS4 Pro is for a base PS4 owner.

Last edited:
I talked about real life scenarios and i never said that the ESRAM could not read and write at the same time. Actually, i said the opposite : 140/150GB/s during writing+reading.
To be clear, you wrote "reading or writing is between 140 and 150 GB/s". This time you've written + instead of / to state "reading and writing are between 140 and 150 GB/s". ;)

I am quite disappointed about the 499$ price. I expected a competitive price and would have expected Sony to react by an even bigger price cut on their Pro.

Not sure Sony is even going to significantly reduce their price on their Pro now, at least for upcoming holiday.

I don't mind the price at all, 500 seems really ok to me (f*ck it, I payed 400 for stupid switch+zelda).

(A bigger problem is that the situation of exclusive games for MS...meh).

Pro doesn't offer much advantage over base PS4 for 1080p owners. I own base PS4 + 1080p plasma and didn't feel the need to upgrade to Pro. The difference is just so small at 1080p. Still waiting for OLED HDR 4K TV prices to drop before I upgrade my TV.

But Scorpio is a different matter since Xbox One didn't even reach 1080p on 1080p TV sets. And even 900p had quality trade-offs. Now with Scorpio, the 1080p output will be perfect and frame rate will be locked 30 fps / 60 fps depending on game (no drops). It's a much bigger difference vs base console version than Sony side.

Scorpio is a more reasonable upgrade for Xbox One owner with 1080p TV than PS4 Pro is for a base PS4 owner.

You said Pro was not a good buy for 1080p owners - I disagree. Games run at better framerates, they load faster and new games offer supersampling and better effects. And the upgrade cost is reasonable.

I agree that Scorpio offers more reason to upgrade but that's a given as the jump is much bigger (4x vs 2x)...but then that's going to cost a lot more.

Back