Microsoft: Xbox 360 with Built In HD-DVD Drive On The Way?

JardeL

Regular
In some exciting news for HD-DVD fans, Scott Browning, one of the most experienced CE retail marketing executives in Australia, has revealed that Microsoft is preparing to launch a new Xbox 360 console featuring a built in HD-DVD drive. The Marketing Director made the announcement whilst commenting on the shock decision (Which left many Sony execs stunned) of JB HiFi dropping their exclusive support for Blu ray and start selling the Toshiba backed HD DVD. Browning believes that with movie powerhouses such as Paramount, Dreamworks and Universal all firmly behind the HD DVD format, support for the medium will increase and that it's now only a matter of time when Microsoft (who are also in the HD-DVD camp), will release the built in HD-DVD 360 console.

" The fact that movie houses like Paramount are behind the HD-DVD format along with the like of DreamWorks is key. I believe that more content providers will get behind the format and that the likes of Microsoft who are big supporters of the HD DVD format will bring out an Xbox with a built in HD DVD player. This is a given."
Lately, Sony have boasted of their superior Blu-Ray sales ratios when compared to HD-DVD, with many PS3 owners purchasing the discs, with a built in HD-DVD Xbox 360 console, will Microsoft be able to claw back some lost ground in the HD format wars? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
[ http://xboxkings.com/index.php?site=news_comments&newsID=616&lang=uk ]
I've been expecting this since the day that MS declared its HD DVD support ... But its still a rumor ...

We all too focused on PS3 models on FCC , perhaps its time to check for a new X360 model ...

HD DVD is awesome. Better selection than on BR. This would make the format war pretty interesting. MS should do this for $399 w/20GB. That would be a great deal.

"Dreamworks .. firmly behind the HD DVD format"

I am not so sure about that as their movies are released on Blu-Ray as well IIRC.

I doubt MS wants to add a new SKU above the Elite.

I call shenanigans.

Not going to happen. No need to put the drive internal. No need to add an additional SKU. Especially when all the games will still be released on DVD-9.

Next.

The goal is to lower costs, not raise them, right!?

Then again the popularity of the Elite sku made a liar out of me :(

I call shenanigans.

Not going to happen. No need to put the drive internal. No need to add an additional SKU. Especially when all the games will still be released on DVD-9.

Next.

Well I think you will see a model released with an internal HD drive at some point, but it won't be until AFTER the HD format war has been decided.

At that point MS would be only smart to create another SKU, include a standard HD format disc drive, and make some extra profit. But I see no reason for them to include a standard drive any time soon, it may very well be rendered obselete in 2 years.

this is prolly in response to the recent nextgen format news in australia
http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles...-with-price-cut/2007/10/15/1192300655298.html

The result, GfK figures released last month show, is that 85 per cent of high definition disc sales have been Blu-ray titles. Further, 24 of the top 25 HD disc titles were Blu-ray movies; the only HD DVD title to make the list was 300, which ranked 20th.

Microsoft's Xbox 360 supports HD DVD, but the feature is only enabled through the purchase of a $249.95 external player. GfK said only 3000 units had been sold to date.

There are now 8 stand-alone Blu-ray players on the market and 3 HD DVD players, excluding the Xbox 360 add-on and the PS3.

Of those players, Ms Bayly said only 528 HD DVD and 1644 Blu-ray players had been sold so far this year.
528+1644 == less than dvd sells in a week im sure in oz :p

Well I think you will see a model released with an internal HD drive at some point, but it won't be until AFTER the HD format war has been decided.

At that point MS would be only smart to create another SKU, include a standard HD format disc drive, and make some extra profit. But I see no reason for them to include a standard drive any time soon, it may very well be rendered obselete in 2 years.
What would we call it? The "Super Elite", or the "Eliter"... "Elitist"? Uhh.. maybe not :)

"Dreamworks .. firmly behind the HD DVD format"

I am not so sure about that as their movies are released on Blu-Ray as well IIRC.

Not anymore. Paramount and Dreamworks dropped Blu-ray, although I believe there are some titles (spielberg) which might go to both.

Not anymore. Paramount and Dreamworks dropped Blu-ray, although I believe there are some titles (spielberg) which might go to both.

But for how long will that pay off last? Transformers couldnt even fit Dolby TrueHD because of only 15 gigs.

It doesn't have to be ABOVE the Elite, it would replace it - just as the Arcade replaced the Core.

The main problem with a built-in HD-DVD drive is still present - the current models can't read DVD discs at 12x speeds, which means the games wouldn't receive their expected transfers rates and seek times, guaranteed by Microsoft.

But for how long will that pay off last? Transformers couldnt even fit Dolby TrueHD because of only 15 gigs.

At least 18months, maybe longer, and the .01% of the people that care about TrueHD probably don't matter in the big scheme of things.

Someone at gaf run some numbers and came up with this stat.

"PS3 and Wii had ZERO third party titles in the top ten console title list for the month, while Xbox 360 weighed in with 3. Since November, third party partners have seen their titles hit the top ten 27 times for Xbox 360, compared to 2 for PS3 and 1 for Wii."

That's just amazing.

You are probably right. I think it is quite telling that Toshiba couldn´t shell out enough money to keep the mega-selling Spielberg titles exclusive to the HD-DVD format.

I wonder what happens with the other titles when the Toshiba deal runs out.

Someone at gaf run some numbers and came up with this stat.

"PS3 and Wii had ZERO third party titles in the top ten console title list for the month, while Xbox 360 weighed in with 3. Since November, third party partners have seen their titles hit the top ten 27 times for Xbox 360, compared to 2 for PS3 and 1 for Wii."

That's just amazing.

Perhaps there is some correlation to the fact that the 360 has been two years on the market and the other two just one year?

Edit: BTW what do this have to do with a built-in HD DVD? Amazing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be a loss for everyone interested in HiDef, HD-DVD has to die fast.

Oh, one of the BD supporters that actually can run BD+ protected media? Guess what BD has to die, FAST. Next time another copy protection is applied to bd's it renders another load of bd players to useless junk, well not entirely but beein unable to see the HiDef movie i bought is kinda shitty.

Anyway why would someone think that our beloved BD group has the knowledge to comfort all the cineastic needs as the dvd-forum already has since the DVD and is going to with HD-DVD???

What would we call it? The "Super Elite", or the "Eliter"... "Elitist"? Uhh.. maybe not :)

Xbox 360 Elite HD rings a bell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back