Microsoft Windows 10 hardware event Oct 6th 10 am EST

For me if I were to buy I think the i5 with 16 gigs of ram and 256gig storage would be good. Its $1,500 the 512GB of storage would be $1,900. If I cut the ram to 8 gigs with 512 gigs of storage it would be $1,700

So the 256/16gig i5 is the sweet spot in price. I can dump $60 or 70 into a 128 gig sd card and if I really need more space I could spend on a ssd flash drive

my 128 gig surface pro 1 has about 10 gigs of space free. Prob after Christmas I can get a educator discount of $150 off which will make it more temping but I don't think the better half is going to let me buy it. Will prob have to wait for the 5 :(

These prices!!! Especially the Surface Book. Without the GPU dock....that price is waaay to expensive.

These prices are excellent

Look at the competition

Ipad pro is $800 for 32gig , $950 for a 128 gig.

Mac air

11inch i5 1.6ghz 4 gigs of ram 128 gig storage $900
11 inch i5 .6 ghz , 4 gigs of ram , 256 gig storage $1,099
13 inch i5 1.6 ghz 4gig of ram , 128GB 1k
13 inch i5 1.6ghz 4 gig of ram , 256 1,200

Doubling ram on any of them is going to bring you up by another $1k

The surface pro pricing is right in line . its the price of the 11 inch air but with a 13 inch screen.

The i5 hits right at the 13 inch price . Even if you go i5 /8/256 its the same price as the 13inch 8/256

I don't see a major problem. esp when you factor in the touch screen and pen input

Now the pro

13 inch 2.7ghz dual core i5 / 8 gigs of ram , 128 gig storage is $1300 , 256gig / 1500 , 512 /1800

surface book

128gig i5 /8 gig $1500 256/8gig 1700 plus the pro doesn't have pen support or touch screen and it certainly can't become a tablet.

Last edited:
eastmen where did those prices come from?
There should be Core i7 variants in the Pro 4, so they're at least incomplete.

The MCM with 3 chips in the Surface 4 Pro presentation:
SftumAI.jpg

So I might wait until I enroll in school to get the discount. I recently retired from 1 career and will be going back to school. I agree that the 256/16gig i5 is the sweet spot. It would be an easy pre-order if it was a couple hundred cheaper.

Right, so the Pro 4 version with the Core i7 is the only one with the GT3e, and it will only come in November.

Fun fact: the most expensive Surface Pro 4 option with Core i7, 16GB RAM and 1TB costs as much as the most expensive Surface Book option with Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and external GPU. That's $2699.

Moreover, for the Surface 4 Pro the upgrade to Core i7 is no less than $300 ($1299 -> $1599), whereas for the Surface Book the same/similar upgrade costs $200.

My guess is that the Core i7 in the Surface Book is not a GT3e version. Which is a shame because with DX12 multi-adapter the GT3e + GM107 duo could bring a lot of horsepower.

Don't forget you still need to add the Type cover. At the higher end, it may cheaper to go for the Surface Book; even if it cost more you get the dedicated GPU.

the surface pro 3 runs a lot of games well , the pro 4 should run them better .

I have a gaming rig at home for the demanding stuff.

JETyBtP.png

seriously ?

http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/surface/docs/surfacebookfs.docx

Graphics: Intel® HD graphics 520 and optional NVIDIA® GeForce® Graphics Processor with dedicated 1GB GDDR5 high-speed memory

The Surface Book models only have a GT2 model.
One thing I noticed is that in the presentation they said the Surface Book has "2 more cores" than the Macbook Air. Could this thing have a 4-core/8-thread Skylake H after all?
Intel did just announce the i7 6288EQ as a 25W part, but it has a HD 530 (GT2 with higher clocks than HD 520).

well does the GeForce gpu only have 1GB of GDDR 5 ram ? I don't see how that could be good at all.

OK. SP3 didn't have any dedicated RAM though. Also, there is still the other dedicated RAM that this count against right? So it's 1GB+ the 8 or 16 GB.

I don't really know.

OK. SP3 didn't have any dedicated RAM though. Also, there is still the other dedicated RAM that this count against right? So it's 1GB+ the 8 or 16 GB.

I don't really know.

well the sp3 has no dedicated ram for its intergrated graphics. But is the 1gig in the surface book for the intel chip or the NVidia chip. It lists it after the NVidia chip.

1GB is really terrible for these days. I hope that info is wrong and we're talking about 2GB minimum.

For me:
- detachable keyboard with GPU = Detachable GPU
- Detachable GPU = switchable GPU

Here's hoping they will launch upgraded keyboard+GPU combos next year, when the next generation models are ready with HBM, 14/16nm and such. The jump in performance at the same power envelope should be pretty big.

well the sp3 has no dedicated ram for its intergrated graphics. But is the 1gig in the surface book for the intel chip or the NVidia chip. It lists it after the NVidia chip.

I must be missing it. So this is not about the SP4...right. I couldn't find the info about the 1GB for dedicated GPU on the MS store.

Also reading up on i5 Intel HD graphics 520, this means no EDRAM right?

Back