Microsoft Windows 10 hardware event Oct 6th 10 am EST

That really is a cluster f*ck of confusion. MS needs to do a better job of clearing up this mess.
I guess it's an example of more/too many options not being a good thing.

If I understand the above post correctly, I'll end up with 15GB which should be plenty for what I have on there now. I do have a lot of music loaded on to Google drive, but way under a GB anywhere else....I think.

Users with the old free upgrade from 7GB back to 25GB is a different bonus and people get to still keep that bonus, but since the free amount was changed to 15GB, it now shows in your Onedrive as "Loyalty bonus 10GB". This bonus is not going to be affected by these changes. So if you have this, your new free space will be 15GB, if not it'll be 5GB.

Mine will drop from 40GB to 15GB. (camera roll bonus -15GB and free space cut -10GB)
How about they just give us a 20GB loyalty bonus instead so it stays what it was when I signed up :) Still I can live with 15, but have to delete some things. I guess I can remove my photos and then I should be fine. I have I guess 1TB now from work as well, but I don't like to mix things.

i think the reviewers are only just getting them this past week. So it might still be a little while yet.

I'm looking forward to it. The i5 model is looking pretty impressive, but I'd like the extra headroom if it is significant enough to justify the price. On paper, it looks like it would be, but I guess my biggest curiosity is how that extra EDRAM impacts performance.

So, Anandtech finally got their Surface Book review out. And I found this interesting...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9767/microsoft-surface-book-2015-review/7

The battery life tests. The model with dGPU takes a massive hit to battery life due to the dGPU and GDDR5 memory. Now imagine if it had an even bigger dGPU and even more GDDR5.

Still this has by far the best gaming performance of any device in its class and size. Which isn't saying much since Ultra Books aren't meant to be gaming devices, but instead lightweight devices with good battery life.

And the battery life of the i5 version without dGPU, holy hell, that is seriously impressive. Almost 16 hours of battery life if you're just doing web browsing.

The i7 with dGPU is still incredibly impressive at a bit over 12 hours for web browsing. To put that into perspective it's ultra book competitors have LESS battery life despite not having to worry about a dGPU or GDDR5 OR a very high DPI display.

Overall pretty damn impressive.

Regards,
SB

Had a chance to tinker with a Surface Book (i5 + dGPU model) yesterday at a local Microsoft event. Was a tad heavier than I expected, but had an overall impression of very high quality materials and workmanship. Didn't get to do anything specific other than just surf around, type, swipe, undock and redock the "clipboard" section from the keyboard, etc.

Nice device for what it is but I'm not the target audience.

Microsoft has been trying at it for a long time!

windows-for-pen-computing-kicked-off-microsofts-tablet-efforts-back-in-1991.jpg

A color LCD? Wow, this thing must have cost $10,000.
Apple then copied the idea but with more simplified, appliance-like software/hardware :

apple-newton.jpg

Threshold 2 has other cool features that you may not know about: http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/13/9727870/microsoft-windows-10-november-update-hidden-features

This one is especially useful for anyone who has a Windows phone, such as myself:
If you have a Windows Phone then Cortana gets a lot more useful with the latest Windows 10 update. A new option in Cortana's settings section lets you enable missed call notifications. That's useful if you simply miss a call, but it also lets you reply to calls with text messages. Cortana will use your phone and its number to send the text, and you can even say "text Joe Bloggs" to initiate a text message without having to miss a call.
Apple has provided this functionality for years; it's about time Microsoft got around to copying it. :)

How about they just give us a 20GB loyalty bonus instead so it stays what it was when I signed up :) Still I can live with 15, but have to delete some things. I guess I can remove my photos and then I should be fine. I have I guess 1TB now from work as well, but I don't like to mix things.

This might be interesting to you. Microsoft now let's users to keep their current storage amount if you press a couple of buttons behind that link :)

http://www.windowscentral.com/onedrive-users-can-keep-their-free-15gb-storage

Yes i did it alre already and trying to talk wife into it as well. Happy to see loyalty bonus was never in Doubt.

Had a chance to tinker with a Surface Book (i5 + dGPU model) yesterday at a local Microsoft event. Was a tad heavier than I expected, but had an overall impression of very high quality materials and workmanship. Didn't get to do anything specific other than just surf around, type, swipe, undock and redock the "clipboard" section from the keyboard, etc.

Nice device for what it is but I'm not the target audience.
It's complex. I am currently torn between a Surface Book and a Surface Pro -in order to have one of those devices in the future-, and hopefully the next Xbox follows those guidelines, a capable and portable machine merging console gaming and PC gaming.

I share the opinion of several others here on B3D of, when the i7+Iris Pro (eDRAM) flavor of the Pro 4 finally shows up for some legit reviews, it will end up performing awfully close to the Surface Book. In which case, I cannot imagine myself needing or even wanting the heavier weight or larger size of the "Book" even if it does have incrementally longer battery life.

Of course, I also want the 1TB storage + 16GB + i7 eDRAM flavor of the Surface, the pricetag for which borders on lunacy :D I'll probably opt for something like this instead... :D

Yup with something like 2-4 hours of battery life depending on whether you are using the 970m or not. No thanks. :D Especially at 1.8 Kg/3.97 pounds.

Regards,
SB

Back