Microsoft Windows 10 hardware event Oct 6th 10 am EST

Surface Pro 4 prices without discounts via MS website.

I7 / 16gb / 1024gb = $2700
I7 / 16gb / 512gb = $2200
I7 / 16gb / 256gb = $1800
I7 / 8gb / 256gb = $1600

I5 / 16gb / 512gb = $1900
I5 / 16gb / 256gb = $1500
I5 / 8gb / 512gb = $1700
I5 / 8gb / 256gb = $1300

I7 / 8gb / 256gb = $1600 --- This might be the one for me. I still haven't seen a review of the i7 model though to see if it justifies the extra $300 over the i5 model.

yea the i7/8/256 is nice. I have a 128gig sp1 and don't find room to be a big issue so double the space should be fine

yea the i7/8/256 is nice. I have a 128gig sp1 and don't find room to be a big issue so double the space should be fine

I can't find it now, but I know I read or watched somewhere that stated the SP4 supports microSD cards of up to 256GB---I always want more, although 256GB really should be enough if I don't store too many movies on it.

I was hoping it would be able to support up to 2TB which Panos says the new phones would support whenever that is released.

I believe the surface pro line supports the new uhs-ii which should allow it to go greater than 256GBs and speeds over 312MBs a second. I think they can't officially say they support something they haven't tested yet and I believe 256gig cards is the largest out now.

However the cost is still so high that I will most likely replace the sp4 before I can afford a larger SD card

I wish it could support regular sized SD cards, those things are cheap and MUCH faster than the micro-SD cards.

Regards,
SB
I don't disagree , I'm guessing its a size issue ? However the slot is hidden behind the kick stand.

I wouldn't even mind two micro sd slots .

Anyway tested gave impressions , I find it funny that they keep saying its not as good as the Wacom cintiq. Of course its not , that's a $900-$2000 accessory for your pc. This is a $900-$2500 tablet pc .

I don't disagree , I'm guessing its a size issue ? However the slot is hidden behind the kick stand.

I wouldn't even mind two micro sd slots .

Anyway tested gave impressions , I find it funny that they keep saying its not as good as the Wacom cintiq. Of course its not , that's a $900-$2000 accessory for your pc. This is a $900-$2500 tablet pc .

Still it would be good if they were able to include a software calibration tool, which seems to be the biggest complaint due to paralax and left vs right handedness.

Also, I guess the pre-release units had some pen lag issues. Seems that this is also a software issue as some apps show it more than others. Seeing some artist impression besides the one on Tested, this is more than good enough for me.

Probably, but disappointing considering the Surface Book supports standard sized SD cards. So you'll be able to expand memory far more cheaply and with faster storage as well.

Regards,
SB
well the SD slot on the surface book is in the dock. So if you go to tablet mode you wont be able to access that,

Although it would be cool if they put a slot in the type cover.

Still it would be good if they were able to include a software calibration tool, which seems to be the biggest complaint due to paralax and left vs right handedness.

Also, I guess the pre-release units had some pen lag issues. Seems that this is also a software issue as some apps show it more than others. Seeing some artist impression besides the one on Tested, this is more than good enough for me.
oh I don't disagree , I just find the comparison a lot of these sites make awkward . I mean look The surface pro is a full tablet with a x86 chip a 13.3 screen with a crazy high res and so on that also has pen input and they compare it to a product that costs just as much and is only a screen and stylus tech. Its very weird to me.

I listen to windows weekly a lot and Paul mentioned the lag and he stated that everyone has preproduction machines right now .He got an i7 surface book that is a final shipping one and seems to have fixed a lot of the problems. They also talked about the g5 chip being new and some things can be improved through firmware updates.

But regardless the pen input in the 4 and book is better than the 3 so that's forward progress .

I use my pen for writing so a little lag wont matter, for super serious artists they may want a Wacom tablet . For people just getting started even with a bit of lag this may be a good option.

yea but the i7s sp4 wont ship till late nov. From what I've read the production schedual is really tight with reviewers getting preproduction hardware to review

yea but the i7s sp4 wont ship till late nov. From what I've read the production schedual is really tight with reviewers getting preproduction hardware to review
Yeah read that as well. I'll hold out until that gets reviewed---if throttling is not an issue, I think it will be a beast just below the S-Book with dGPU.

upload_2015-10-24_21-45-58.png

also apparently it still keeps about 47fps at native 3200x2000.

It really is a beast .

I wish they would have made the dock for the surface pro 4. I wouldn't carry it with me all the time , some times I would take the type cover and sometimes if needed I would take the keyboard dock. But man pairing the gtx 640 with the i7 in the surface pro 4 would make a nice light gaming machine

From AnandTech's Skylake Thread

First Skylake-U Iris™ Graphics 540 results:

GFXBench Windows OpenGL - 1080p Manhattan 3.1 Offscreen (Top Scores)
- Iris™ Graphics 540 (15W Skylake-U GT3e): 63.5 FPS
- HD Graphics 520 (15W Skylake-U GT2): 39.6 FPS
- Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 (47W Haswell-H GT3e): 61.2 FPS
- HD Graphics 5000 (15W Haswell-U GT3): 36.7 FPS
- Gefore GT940M: 52.3 FPS

That GT940M in the Surface Book is turning out even more useless than I thought.
I wonder if Microsoft will ever make a Surface Book with a GT3e Core i7.

That GT940M in the Surface Book is turning out even more useless than I thought.
I wonder if Microsoft will ever make a Surface Book with a GT3e Core i7.

What's going to be most interesting is to see how OpenCL acceleration with Iris Graphics 540 compares to CUDA acceleration with the Nvidia chip in the Surface Book when running professional applications (like Adobe, etc.). That's where it'll either prove worth it or not as it was included mainly for those types of applications.

Perhaps not as interesting to some folks on this forum as they seem to be wanting game performance more than professional application performance.

Regards,
SB

Back