Microsoft Windows 10 hardware event Oct 6th 10 am EST

Perhaps not as interesting to some folks on this forum as they seem to be wanting game performance more than professional application performance.
This is a loaded assumption. Theoretical performance is similar, the Geforce supports CUDA and it doesn't have to share its TDP with the CPU (meaning the CPU cores can probably sustain higher clocks on the Book+Geforce). However, the Iris Pro 540 has almost zero latency towards the CPU, 64MB EDRAM and much more available memory.

They should have put a second skylake chip in the keyboard for quad core and dual iris graphics :yep2:
Or maybe just a decent Geforce GPU with a decent amount of VRAM.

Or maybe just a decent Geforce GPU with a decent amount of VRAM.

And subsequently either bad battery life or a heavier and thicker device. Neither of which benefit what is basically an ultrabook that can be used as a tablet for short sessions.

As well, considering that Microsoft are encouraging OEMs to copy their designs, if an OEM wants to make a big thick and heavy version of this with a much more powerful discrete mGPU, they are free to do so.

Regards,
SB

Just had a thought, what I wouldn't mind seeing is a variation of the docking "block" that is significantly larger and supports the addition of a destop discrete graphics card. Considering it uses the same connection that the keyboard w/GPU uses, I don't see why this couldn't be done.

It's not something Microsoft would ever do, but I wonder if they'd allow an OEM to make a Surface "dock" similar to their block that could plug into the SP4 and the tablet portion of the SB.

That would be a niche device, but I'd certainly be interested in it.

Regards,
SB

And subsequently either bad battery life or a heavier and thicker device.

Unless the Surface Book doesn't use Optimus, battery life would be largely unaffected. As for ever being substantially (or noticeably) heavier and thicker, it's just an assumption.
IMO, with the chance to get a Core i7 6650U in there, they simply made it into a cost-cutting alternative.

The 940M looks like a contingency/plan B.

I don't know when design work for the Surface Book started, but I'd imagine they expected/were promised a 16nm part for their 30-40W power envelope.

Once Pascal SKUs launch (or 16nm AMD counterparts), I'd expect to see an upgraded base for the Surface Book. A trade-in program would be a decent thing to do then (for those caring about graphics performance).

Cheers

my friend asked abou macbook pro and... yeesh, for its price, Surface give better GPU.
too bad MS never release surface in my country, even after they buy Nokia, no surface was sold here.

about the surface nvidia gpu have same performance as intel iris something-something. Does this means Surface Pro tablet will have that awesome performance too?

or it will be very TDP limited?

The 940M looks like a contingency/plan B.

I don't know when design work for the Surface Book started, but I'd imagine they expected/were promised a 16nm part for their 30-40W power envelope.

This actually makes a lot more sense than the CUDA/Compute theory. Maybe nVidia had a small 16nm (or even 20nm like Tegra X1?) chip (e.g. GM207) to test the waters with the new process, and Microsoft had dibs on it.

$225 for a 128 gig sp1 , $300 for a 256 gig.

its not to bad but isn't exactly great

Oh...I thought it was $700. Since you were considering selling your SP3 to upgrade, I thought it sounded good. Admittedly, I didn't read it since I don't have a Surface to trade in.

Sounds like you're better off selling it 2nd hand.
Though the trade-in is much more hassle-free, of course.

I was planning to buy a surface pro, but I am now kind of pissed at MS over the one drive roll backs. I joined at the very beginning when they said 25GB free and have since had that amount. Now it sounds like they are going to downsize that to 5GB which means I have to move 17GB of data elsewhere. That sort of makes me mad.

I was planning to buy a surface pro, but I am now kind of pissed at MS over the one drive roll backs. I joined at the very beginning when they said 25GB free and have since had that amount. Now it sounds like they are going to downsize that to 5GB which means I have to move 17GB of data elsewhere. That sort of makes me mad.

I pay for 365 family so the 1TB limit makes me a bit mad. I think however you should wait a little to see what happens. I think they are doing a reset of everything because promotions get a little out and then they will move back up a little.

I have a friend that has 230 TB of backup on one drive and most of it is illegal. So i'm sure they wanted to change some of that stuff to prevent it. So I think this is an over correction and they will soon find a happy place. They already stated that the changes wont happen till sometime in 2016.

Also I think you get a 100 gigs if you buy a surface pro line.

It seems like the base free plan is 15gb going forward for onedrive.

Alright, now I'm confused on what the limit actually is on OneDrive.

Alright, now I'm confused on what the limit actually is on OneDrive.

I just checked mine and I have 137 GB free. I'm probably using less than a GB though. I know that I got increased storage via Skype sign up, windows phone and other promotions.

I'm thinking of just going with a NAS that I can access via the internet while on the road anyway, so I guess this doesn't effect me much.

Also I think you get a 100 gigs if you buy a surface pro line.
I thought that was like a 1 year deal or something. I doubt it is free forever. I use one note now, but with a surface I imagined I would use it a ton more and it would start to fill up the remaining space I have now (which when I checked is actually like 50GB b/c of some promotion or other, but I really just wanted to keep the original 25). I haven't bothered trying to keep everything super clean and kill of useless files that could save me some space, but I hate to deal with things like that, which seem to have small benefits.

Back when you signed up for Skydrive you got 25GB of free space, MS then dropped that to 7GB, but users could for a limited time to get a free upgrade back to 25GB. MS then changed the name to Onedrive and some months later doubled the free space to 15GB. At some point MS upped the Camera roll bonus from 3GB to 15GB if you activated the automatic upload feature on your phone with any mobile OS to Onedrive.

MS is now rolling out a cut back program that takes the free space from 15GB to 5GB and removes the camera roll bonus completely. The changes will take effect early next year, but users data will be safe for 12 additional months if I'm not mistaken.

Users with the old free upgrade from 7GB back to 25GB is a different bonus and people get to still keep that bonus, but since the free amount was changed to 15GB, it now shows in your Onedrive as "Loyalty bonus 10GB". This bonus is not going to be affected by these changes. So if you have this, your new free space will be 15GB, if not it'll be 5GB.

Mine will drop from 40GB to 15GB. (camera roll bonus -15GB and free space cut -10GB)

Back